Hey there, newbie looking for advice! Newyorkirisharts.blogspot.com

  • Gwen Orel
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 23, 2011
      Hi there, I know these questions get asked over and over, and I did search through the messages and on google but still can't find exactly the answers so please don't hate me for asking what are probably easy questions.

      I've just rolled out a blog and podcast-- the blog and podcast are both called New York Irish Arts. The blog is http://newyorkirisharts.blogspot.com I set up a feedburner link, and we're now on itunes (I know some people advise waiting 5-10 episodes to do that, but my program is date sensitive and it just doesn't make sense. Also, since it's Irish stuff, it HAD to begin in March).

      I couldn't figure out how to get OurMedia to work last week (It didn't say you need an archive.org account, which I now have), so I uploaded the file to my idisk. It's there as file sharing-- but when I saved the podcast (made in garageband) as aac, which allows me to have chapter headings, mobileme changed it into a .mov file, so subscribing to the feed allowed you to download it but not play it. I exported it again as an mp3 and now it works.

      So, here are my questions:

      1. When I upload a larger file (larger than 10mb) to OurMedia, even if I select "audio" in Spinxpress or do it directly at OurMedia, it turns into a text/xml file. Why is that, and how can I stop it?

      2. I know, I've been told, file sharing the podcast is wrong, but now if I put a link to a page that hosts the media, won't the user who clicks on it have to then find where to download it from on the page? it's not all that obvious in Archive. with the file sharing a dialogue window pops up immediately. This isn't an issue for Itunes subscribers of course, but I want to make the podcast also downloadable for anybody visiting the page.

      3. My feed puts all the latest blog entries in the dscription of the episode, so it has text about a ticket giveaway to a concert and the full text of the post describing the podcast-- NOT what I wanted to appear (and not I think what WOULD appear if I could use the aac).

      Is there a way using blogger and Feedburner to avoid this? I want the description info just to have what's in the podcast. (yes I may eventually use Wordpress but Blogger was so quick to set up and I want people to get used to it before I eseentially redesign it).

      4. Everyone recommends Libsyn for hosting media, but I would need the $15 version at least since when I fixed this podcast it was 44mb (for some reason one track had gone silent). I would rather not spend money on that AND on a webhost, and I do intend to register a domain with dreamhost or someone else. Dreamhost says it has unlimited bandwidth. Why can't I just use them? I just don't understand why I need both a webhost AND a media host. Is the media host cleaner for those embedded links? And if I go to Libsyn, do I have to kill the feedburner feed?

      I work as a freelance writer so I want to keep costs to a minimum, at least for now. I know despite the advice I can use my idisk for the next episode or two but I also know that's not a long-term solution.

      5. What about blip.tv? it seems to also host audio but i can't figure out how/where and there doesn't appear to be a contact me on the site.

      http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-new-york-irish-arts-premiere/id427167887?i=92251430

      is the link to the podcast on Apple. I know the audio quality is a little rough, but the content is first rate: Michael Flatley, Marion Casey, Dan Neeley, Kevin Crawford and a book review from Michelle Woods.

      Thanks in advance!

      Gwen
    • crafterlag
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 24, 2011
        Those are some pretty good questions.

        That's also a textbook example of why using free services is possible but a pain in the butt. Do yourself a favor and go to dreamhost or bluehost or godaddy or something, get yourself a domain and a hosting account, set up WordPress and that will honestly solve most of the problems your having. it'll be 10 or 15 bucks a month and you'll be good to go. I've hosted on godaddy, dreamhost and now a VPN, it's all fine.

        But that doesn't answer your questions.

        first, stick with mp3 for audio. it's the most common file format in the world, so take advantage of that and make your files easy to listen to.

        never having used ourmedia... skipping that part. But you want to link directly to your mp3 if you can. listeners are lazy.

        you can publish a label-specific feed from blogger, which will fix your text-in-feed problem. label all your episodes with a particular label, then burn the label feed in feedburner. more info: http://www.google.com/support/blogger/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=53336

        You don't need a webhost and a media host, period. unless you're moving massive terabytes of podcasts in a month, you'll be fine with a basic web hosting package. alternately, you can run the whole thing off libsyn without a webhost, many people do that. I'm sure folks will object, but the appeal of libsyn seems to be to either complicate matters or flatter yourself that you'll eat so much bandwith with your meteoric rise in podcasting that your webhost will fire you. libsyn is a good service, but redundant for the majority of podcasters. but i'll say it again: newbies don't need libsyn.

        dreamhost isn't perfect, they have uptime issues, but i liked working with them when I did. Godaddy has database speed problems, so your site will be kinda slow. they're not perfect, but they're a decent start, and with time you'll get to know your needs better. you can always move later.

        i've never hosted with blip, but as a listener i find their service painfully slow and their website a pain to navigate.

        my two cents, at least. Hope it helps! I'm sure a fight will break out momentarily.

        -Meredith
        braindouche.net

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > I work as a freelance writer so I want to keep costs to a minimum, at least for now. I know despite the advice I can use my idisk for the next episode or two but I also know that's not a long-term solution.
        >
        > 5. What about blip.tv? it seems to also host audio but i can't figure out how/where and there doesn't appear to be a contact me on the site.
        >
        > http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-new-york-irish-arts-premiere/id427167887?i=92251430
        >
        > is the link to the podcast on Apple. I know the audio quality is a little rough, but the content is first rate: Michael Flatley, Marion Casey, Dan Neeley, Kevin Crawford and a book review from Michelle Woods.

      • Gwen Orel
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 24, 2011
          Thank you so much Meredith, it is much appreciated! I hope others will weigh in too.

          Yes, the linking to the page and having to find the link to download also worried me. File sharing-- although I'm told not to-- means it opens up a dialogue box. If it links directly to the page, can they download it or will it just stream?

          I can also embed it and make it streamable on my page, but I want to make it available to download because-- that's what a podcast IS, something you can play on your ipod!

          I may work with dreamhost-- there's an issue with a bill, I had a domain with them and when it lapsed I thought the account had lapsed but it didn't so now they want a year's backpay! Obviously I don't want to do that.

          I'm pretty happy with the Blogger site and would use the host just for the files, and to make the domain not have to say "blogspot."

          Thanks so much for the feedback!
          On Mar 24, 2011, at 4:18 AM, crafterlag wrote:

> [...]
          > >
          > > I work as a freelance writer so I want to keep costs to a minimum, at least for now. I know despite the advice I can use my idisk for the next episode or two but I also know that's not a long-term solution.
          > >
          > > 5. What about blip.tv? it seems to also host audio but i can't figure out how/where and there doesn't appear to be a contact me on the site.
          > >
          > > http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-new-york-irish-arts-premiere/id427167887?i=92251430
          > >
          > > is the link to the podcast on Apple. I know the audio quality is a little rough, but the content is first rate: Michael Flatley, Marion Casey, Dan Neeley, Kevin Crawford and a book review from Michelle Woods.

        • Pat Cook
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 24, 2011
            I can't answer ALL of your questions Gwen but I'll do what I can to
            answer some of them :)

            On 3/24/2011 12:15 AM, Gwen Orel wrote:

            > Hi there, I know these questions get asked over and over, and I did
            search through the messages and on google but still can't find exactly
            the answers so please don't hate me for asking what are probably easy
            questions.

            No problem Gwen. Besides, I'm a firm believer in that THE DUMBEST
            question IS THE ONE THAT IS NEVER ASKED!!! :)

            > I've just rolled out a blog and podcast-- the blog and podcast are
            both called New York Irish Arts. The blog is
            http://newyorkirisharts.blogspot.com I set up a feedburner link, and
            we're now on itunes (I know some people advise waiting 5-10 episodes to
            do that, but my program is date sensitive and it just doesn't make
            sense. Also, since it's Irish stuff, it HAD to begin in March).

            Well if you did an episode a day, you'd reach 10 episodes easily.

            > I couldn't figure out how to get OurMedia to work last week (It
            didn't say you need an archive.org account, which I now have), so I
            uploaded the file to my idisk. It's there as file sharing-- but when I
            saved the podcast (made in garageband) as aac, which allows me to have
            chapter headings, mobileme changed it into a .mov file, so subscribing
            to the feed allowed you to download it but not play it. I exported it
            again as an mp3 and now it works.

            Audio podcasts are ALWAYS in MP3 (That's the defacto standard). Video
            podcasts are typically done in either MP4 (My preferred format), MKV or
            MOV format (The problem with the latter being that you limit your
            audience & SUBSCRIBERS by binding them to Apple software & products).

            > So, here are my questions:

            [Snip.....]

            > 2. I know, I've been told, file sharing the podcast is wrong, but now
            if I put a link to a page that hosts the media, won't the user who
            clicks on it have to then find where to download it from on the page?
            it's not all that obvious in Archive. with the file sharing a dialogue
            window pops up immediately. This isn't an issue for Itunes subscribers
            of course, but I want to make the podcast also downloadable for anybody
            visiting the page.
            Who told you that file sharing something your originate is wrong? I'd
            love to know the answer to THAT one! :O

            A simple text link to the file on the page should be sufficient for a
            download straight from your site.

            Lemme tell you what I do for my Old Time Radio & Classic TV Soap Opera
            podcasts.....

            For the Old Time Radio Soap Opera podcast, I use the JW Player (Which is
            a Flash-based player commonly used by MANY websites). After I upload my
            file to Mevio, I copy the direct download URL from Mevio & paste that
            into each instance of the JW Player code I use.

            This enables people to PREVIEW the enclosure BEFORE they download it.
            Think of the approach as a TRY IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT approach if you will :)

            I then use a graphic image of an old radio, wrap the download URL around
            that & direct people to RIGHT click on it to download the file

            For my Classic TV Soap Opera podcast, I make TWO instances of each file
            I post. One is an MP4 (For downloading purposes) & the other is done in
            the new WebM format. BOTH USE THE SAME ORIGINAL FILE (You can't beat
            the original).

            I upload the WebM version STRAIGHT TO BLOGGER using the INSERT VIDEO
            option. While I'm waiting for that to finish processing, I upload the
            MP4 version to Mevio & edit my post (Provide description, tags, etc).
            Once the upload to Mevio is complete & the video is posted to the
            podcast, I simply copy the source file link & use that to create a
            simple text link to post on the site (Why use a graphical link when the
            embedded player from Blogger takes care of that quite nicely?)

            Once the processing is complete, I preview it. If I like what I see, I
            publish it.

            > 3. My feed puts all the latest blog entries in the dscription of the
            episode, so it has text about a ticket giveaway to a concert and the
            full text of the post describing the podcast-- NOT what I wanted to
            appear (and not I think what WOULD appear if I could use the aac).

            What feed is that?

            > Is there a way using blogger and Feedburner to avoid this? I want the
            description info just to have what's in the podcast. (yes I may
            eventually use Wordpress but Blogger was so quick to set up and I want
            people to get used to it before I eseentially redesign it).

            Sure. Simply point Feedburner to the feed PROVIDED BY YOUR PODCAST HOST

            > 4. Everyone recommends Libsyn for hosting media, but I would need the
            $15 version at least since when I fixed this podcast it was 44mb (for
            some reason one track had gone silent). I would rather not spend money
            on that AND on a webhost, and I do intend to register a domain with
            dreamhost or someone else. Dreamhost says it has unlimited bandwidth.
            Why can't I just use them? I just don't understand why I need both a
            webhost AND a media host. Is the media host cleaner for those embedded
            links? And if I go to Libsyn, do I have to kill the feedburner feed?

            Because MANY web hosts DO NOT provide support for podcasts (If they do,
            they charge an arm & a leg for it as you have undoubtedly discovered).
            The same holds true for podcast hosts. They don't support website
            hosting EVEN THOUGH they provide a basic web page in blog format (If
            they do, it's likely in one of their paid plans).

            > I work as a freelance writer so I want to keep costs to a minimum, at
            least for now. I know despite the advice I can use my idisk for the next
            episode or two but I also know that's not a long-term solution.

            Okay, what is this idisk you keep referring to? You've lost me there.

            > 5. What about blip.tv? it seems to also host audio but i can't figure
            out how/where and there doesn't appear to be a contact me on the site.

            They INDIRECTLY support audio podcasts. That means they'll support your
            audio podcast BUT you have to supply the cover art & upload that too as
            that's prominently shown on their player.

            > Thanks in advance!
            >
            > Gwen

            Again, no problem at all. Glad to help.....

            Cheers :D

            --
            Pat Cook Host - *THE LEFT WING CONSERVATIVE*
            *Website <http://www.wix.com/progressivemoderates/mainwix>*

          • Pat Cook
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 24, 2011
              On 3/24/2011 10:15 AM, Gwen Orel wrote:
              > I'm pretty happy with the Blogger site and would use the host just for the files, and to make the domain not have to say "blogspot."
              Then all it sounds like you really need is a freebie podcast host such
              as Mevio or BlipTV to host your files since you're all set on Blogger.
              Nothin' wrong with that :)

              Just remember to point FeedBurner at the feed URL that's PROVIDED BY THE
              PODCAST HOST & NOT BLOGGER though. That will solve the content issue
              within the feed itself.

              Good luck with whatever you decide :)

              Cheers :D

              --
              Pat Cook Host - *THE LEFT WING CONSERVATIVE*
              *Website <http://www.wix.com/progressivemoderates/mainwix>*
              *Audio Podcast <http://theleftwingconservative.mevio.com/>*
              *Video Podcast <http://tlwctv.mevio.com/>*
              *BACK TO THE FUTURE CLASSIC TV SOAP OPERA PODCAST
              <http://backtothefuturetvclassicsoapoperas.blogspot.com/>*
              *BACK TO THE FUTURE RADIO SOAP OPERA PODCAST
              <http://backtothefutureradiosoapoperas.blogspot.com/>*
              Englewood, CO

            • Ben Straw
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 24, 2011
                Question why do people choose to use ugly blogger and not spend $10 a year on a
                domain and $10 a month on hosting
                I mean come on! Right now Hostgator is offering 20% off on hosting. Less than
                $4.00 a month! Which is about as much as 1 cup of cheap gas station coffee and a
                Donut that tastes like it was made 2 weeks ago.
                I'm just saying.

                Benjamin Straw
                P: 1-304-449-4335
                Skype: n3bb3n
                Twitter: Twitter.com/nebben
                Want to Learn About Podcasting? - http://How2Podcast.com

                ________________________________
                > I'm pretty happy with the Blogger site and would use the host just for the
                >files, and to make the domain not have to say "blogspot."
                Then all it sounds like you really need is a freebie podcast host such
                as Mevio or BlipTV to host your files since you're all set on Blogger.
                Nothin' wrong with that :)

                Just remember to point FeedBurner at the feed URL that's PROVIDED BY THE
                PODCAST HOST & NOT BLOGGER though. That will solve the content issue
                within the feed itself.

                Good luck with whatever you decide :)

                Cheers :D

                --
                Pat Cook Host - *THE LEFT WING CONSERVATIVE*
                *Website <http://www.wix.com/progressivemoderates/mainwix>*
                *Audio Podcast <http://theleftwingconservative.mevio.com/>*
                *Video Podcast <http://tlwctv.mevio.com/>*
                *BACK TO THE FUTURE CLASSIC TV SOAP OPERA PODCAST
                <http://backtothefuturetvclassicsoapoperas.blogspot.com/>*
                *BACK TO THE FUTURE RADIO SOAP OPERA PODCAST
                <http://backtothefutureradiosoapoperas.blogspot.com/>*
                Englewood, CO

              • Ben Reed
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 24, 2011
                  Hey everyone,

                  I got a question, I'm using Word Press to launch an audio drama I'm developing
                  and I'm not sure how much space I should buy, it's got 5 GB at about $ 25 I
                  believe, and 15 GB at about $ 49.99. My question is how much do I need (What
                  factors affect the amount of space I should buy)? Or is there some other hosting
                  that you would suggest? I'm a little lost since everyone seems to use a
                  different host!

                  Thanks,

                  Ben
                  Writer / Audio, Video editor / Darker Projects Contributer

                  www.twitter.com/valkeriecic

                  www.youtube.com/valkeriecic

                  www.darkerprojects.com
                  www.theeventcast.com

                  www.theleviathanchronicles.com

                  ________________________________

                  > I'm pretty happy with the Blogger site and would use the host just for the
                  >files, and to make the domain not have to say "blogspot."
                  Then all it sounds like you really need is a freebie podcast host such
                  as Mevio or BlipTV to host your files since you're all set on Blogger.
                  Nothin' wrong with that :)

                  Just remember to point FeedBurner at the feed URL that's PROVIDED BY THE
                  PODCAST HOST & NOT BLOGGER though. That will solve the content issue
                  within the feed itself.

                  Good luck with whatever you decide :)

                  Cheers :D

                  --
                  Pat Cook Host - *THE LEFT WING CONSERVATIVE*
                  *Website <http://www.wix.com/progressivemoderates/mainwix>*
                  *Audio Podcast <http://theleftwingconservative.mevio.com/>*
                  *Video Podcast <http://tlwctv.mevio.com/>*
                  *BACK TO THE FUTURE CLASSIC TV SOAP OPERA PODCAST
                  <http://backtothefuturetvclassicsoapoperas.blogspot.com/>*
                  *BACK TO THE FUTURE RADIO SOAP OPERA PODCAST
                  <http://backtothefutureradiosoapoperas.blogspot.com/>*
                  Englewood, CO

                • Gwen
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 24, 2011
                    1 I needed yo get it up quickly and blogger was fast and easy. I plan to switch to wordpress at some point.

                    2. I am investigating hosting. But $20 is still not nothing to me.

                    Hope that clears it up and if you have answers to my questions wld lovelove to hear!

                    Sent from my iPho

                    On Mar 24, 2011, at 7:13 PM, Ben Straw <Nebula1183@...> wrote:

                    > Question why do people choose to use ugly blogger and not spend $10 a year on a
                    > domain and $10 a month on hosting
                    > I mean come on! Right now Hostgator is offering 20% off on hosting. Less than
                    > $4.00 a month! Which is about as much as 1 cup of cheap gas station coffee and a
                    > Donut that tastes like it was made 2 weeks ago.
                    > I'm just saying.
                    >
                    > Benjamin Straw
                    > P: 1-304-449-4335
                    > Skype: n3bb3n
                    > Twitter: Twitter.com/nebben
                    > Want to Learn About Podcasting? - http://How2Podcast.com
                    >
                    > ________________________________

                  • Richard Amirault
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 25, 2011
                      > I got a question, I'm using Word Press to launch an audio drama I'm
                      > developing
                      > and I'm not sure how much space I should buy, it's got 5 GB at about $ 25
                      > believe, and 15 GB at about $ 49.99. My question is how much do I need
                      > (What
                      > factors affect the amount of space I should buy)? Or is there some other
                      > hosting
                      > that you would suggest? I'm a little lost since everyone seems to use a
                      > different host!

                      Is that *storage* or is that *bandwidth*? Those are two different things.

                      Richard Amirault
                      Boston, MA, USA
                      http://n1jdu.org
                      http://bostonfandom.org
                    • tapeleg
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 25, 2011
                        I'm not sure how helpful this is going to be, as you may already be committed to WordPress.com.

                        I use Bluehost for my hosting, and it's $7 a month for my hosting. I get unlimited storage space, unlimited bandwidth, unlimited email addresses, can host other domains there ($10 a month), and my first domain is free. I love their service, and while there has been occasional downtime, that happens with every server known to man. Tumblr has had more issues lately than bluehost. You can install wordpress, forums, social networks, and a ton of software easily. If you want to expand, or use another CMS, like Joomla or Drupal, that's available as well.

                        They have an affiliate program, where you get a little bonus or kickback or something for recommending bluehost (something like that), but I have decided that I don't want to sign up for it, since that may make my opinions look tainted. I get no money from them for saying this. I really like their service.

                        Oh, and when you call them, the customer service is excellent.

                        I would at least give them a look, and if you have questions, feel free to ask.

                        www.bluehost.com

                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 26, 2011
                          On 3/24/2011 8:15 PM, Ben Reed wrote:

                          > Hey everyone,
                          >
                          > I got a question, I'm using Word Press to launch an audio drama I'm
                          > developing
                          > and I'm not sure how much space I should buy, it's got 5 GB at about $
                          > 25 I
                          > believe, and 15 GB at about $ 49.99. My question is how much do I need
                          > (What
                          > factors affect the amount of space I should buy)? Or is there some
                          > other hosting
                          > that you would suggest? I'm a little lost since everyone seems to use a
                          > different host!
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          >
                          > Ben
                          > Writer / Audio, Video editor / Darker Projects Contributer

                          If STORAGE is your only concern, then a podcast host (Even a freebie one
                          like Mevio or BlipTV) would solve that problem. If the concern is
                          BANDWIDTH, then that would depend on a number of factors (Popularity
                          being one of them).

                          Take my Old Time Radio & Classic TV soap opera podcasts as examples. I
                          know they aren't going to appeal to a wide audience BUT I know the Old
                          Time Radio & Classic TV communities LOVE them. Because they are so
                          niche by today's standards, they don't consume a lot of bandwitth. As
                          such, I can get away with using a freebie host for them whereas I might
                          not if I had a podsafe music podcast or a show like No Agenda Radio.

                          Bottom line - POPULARITY = BANDWIDTH!!!!! The more popular your podcast
                          - THE MORE BANDWIDTH IT WILL CONSUME!!!!! Storage has nothing to do
                          with it.

                          Hope this helps.....

                          Cheers :D

                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 29, 2011
                              I find them very reliable. No, they are not a scam. I have had my sites hosted with them for over 4 years. Downtime is minimal (servers go down at every hosting company). I like the service, and the support is solid.

                              Not much more to say about them. They are good. That's about it. :)

                              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Ben Reed <benpatrickr@...> wrote:

                              > Wow, bluehost looks incredible. Are they actually reliable? I'm trying to find
                              > something thats not a scam or anything.
                              >
                              > Thanks!
                              >
                              > Ben
                              > Writer / Audio, Video editor / Darker Projects Contributer
                              >
                              > www.twitter.com/valkeriecic
                              >
                              > www.youtube.com/valkeriecic
                              >
                              > www.darkerprojects.com
                              > www.theeventcast.com
                              >
                              > www.theleviathanchronicles.com

                            • Patrick McNa...
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 15, 2011
                                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Gwen Orel <gwenorel@...> wrote:

                                > Hi there, I know these questions get asked over and over, and I did search through the messages and on google but still can't find exactly the answers so please don't hate me for asking what are probably easy questions.

                                > I couldn't figure out how to get OurMedia to work last week (It didn't say you need an archive.org account, which I now have), so I uploaded the file to my idisk. It's there as file sharing-- but when I saved the podcast (made in garageband) as aac, which allows me to have chapter headings, mobileme changed it into a .mov file, so subscribing to the feed allowed you to download it but not play it. I exported it again as an mp3 and now it works.
                                >
                                > So, here are my questions:
                                >
                                > 1. When I upload a larger file (larger than 10mb) to OurMedia, even if I select "audio" in Spinxpress or do it directly at OurMedia, it turns into a text/xml file. Why is that, and how can I stop it?

                                Don't bother with OurMedia. You don't need it. Just upload the files directly to Archive.org. I've been doing a couple free podcasts for a while and using archive.org to host. OurMedia just complicates things.

                                > 2. I know, I've been told, file sharing the podcast is wrong, but now if I put a link to a page that hosts the media, won't the user who clicks on it have to then find where to download it from on the page? it's not all that obvious in Archive. with the file sharing a dialogue window pops up immediately. This isn't an issue for Itunes subscribers of course, but I want to make the podcast also downloadable for anybody visiting the page.

                                You can post a direct link to the MP3 file in your blog after it's uploaded.

                                > 3. My feed puts all the latest blog entries in the dscription of the episode, so it has text about a ticket giveaway to a concert and the full text of the post describing the podcast-- NOT what I wanted to appear (and not I think what WOULD appear if I could use the aac).
                                >
                                > Is there a way using blogger and Feedburner to avoid this? I want the description info just to have what's in the podcast. (yes I may eventually use Wordpress but Blogger was so quick to set up and I want people to get used to it before I eseentially redesign it).

                                So are you talking about podcast and non-podcast postings being posted? Probably the easiest way is to set up a separate blog for the podcast from your text blog.

                                > 4. Everyone recommends Libsyn for hosting media, but I would need the $15 version at least since when I fixed this podcast it was 44mb (for some reason one track had gone silent). I would rather not spend money on that AND on a webhost, and I do intend to register a domain with dreamhost or someone else. Dreamhost says it has unlimited bandwidth. Why can't I just use them? I just don't understand why I need both a webhost AND a media host. Is the media host cleaner for those embedded links? And if I go to Libsyn, do I have to kill the feedburner feed?
                                >
                                > I work as a freelance writer so I want to keep costs to a minimum, at least for now. I know despite the advice I can use my idisk for the next episode or two but I also know that's not a long-term solution.

                                You may not need paid hosting at all. As long as the show can be listed as Creative Commons you're fine sticking with archive.org. However, if you're looking to produce a paid show or want full control of the files then you'd need hosting.