iRig Mic

  • carter.gabe
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 22, 2011
      IK Multimedia has a new product that I'm going to try for podcasting. Its called iRig Mic and its a mic for my iPhone. Only reason I even heard of it is because I have their iRig for my guitar and AmpliTube Fender sounds great for quiet practicing but the mic intrigued me. Anyways now they said its shipping so I ordered it! Can't wait! Going to try it with the Free VocaLive app because it has a 1 track recorder for free. The paid version has more but I'm only going to be podcasting myself and for interviews. Anyone else heard of it?

      http://www.ikmultimedia.com/irigmic
    • sammy.hains
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 24, 2011
        I'm using one now. I got the iRig Mic for podcasting from local events. The mic provides its own power, and has excellent quality. I haven't had any issues with recording for a few hours as long as my iPhone is charged. You can charge your iPhone while you use the iRig Mic, too, so that's not a problem anyways if you have access to an outlet.

        The 3 sensitivity settings are very useful. There is one that sounds like a -20dB pad, a normal setting, and one that sounds amplified and compressed. This last one is good for picking up a whole room, or quiet sounds from a distance.

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 25, 2011
          Awesome! So if I wanted I could leave it on the amplified setting and record everyone in a room? That sounds sweet! Thanks!

          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "sammy.hains" <sammy.hains@...> wrote:

          > I'm using one now. I got the iRig Mic for podcasting from local events. The mic provides its own power, and has excellent quality. I haven't had any issues with recording for a few hours as long as my iPhone is charged. You can charge your iPhone while you use the iRig Mic, too, so that's not a problem anyways if you have access to an outlet.
          >
          > The 3 sensitivity settings are very useful. There is one that sounds like a -20dB pad, a normal setting, and one that sounds amplified and compressed. This last one is good for picking up a whole room, or quiet sounds from a distance.
          >

          > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "carter.gabe" <carter.gabe@> wrote:
          > >
          > > IK Multimedia has a new product that I'm going to try for podcasting. Its called iRig Mic and its a mic for my iPhone. Only reason I even heard of it is because I have their iRig for my guitar and AmpliTube Fender sounds great for quiet practicing but the mic intrigued me. Anyways now they said its shipping so I ordered it! Can't wait! Going to try it with the Free VocaLive app because it has a 1 track recorder for free. The paid version has more but I'm only going to be podcasting myself and for interviews. Anyone else heard of it?
          > >
          > > http://www.ikmultimedia.com/irigmic

        • Gwen Orel
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 25, 2011
            I use an Olympus digital recorder for in person interviews as a journalist but this is my first foray into podcasting. do you think I need a microphne as well? there is a jack for one. It has a lot more battery power than my iphone.

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 25, 2011
              You almost certainly want some type of external mic. You can point your mic in the direction you want, set it up stationary, or hand it to the person you are interviewing. It will bring an improved sound quality and better intelligibility to your recordings.

              I was trying to use the built in mic on my iPhone originally, and I found the iRig Mic to really take my productions to a higher, more professional level.

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 25, 2011
                Ya most definitely. Quality is important and just about any mic is better then the built in ones usually.

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 25, 2011
                  Thank you, looks like that will be well worth investing in! Much appreciated!

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 26, 2011
                    No problem! It should be here Monday! :D

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 28, 2011
                      Did you get it? How is it?

                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 29, 2011
                        Ya, it sounds really good actually! I even like the room one for my acoustic and singing. Sounds great!

                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 29, 2011
                          Great! I knew you'd like it.
                          Where have you taken it to record so far?

                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 30, 2011
                            My kitchen was cool and sounded huge but also in the car when I was driving to work! Still sounded awesome too! :D