Great deal on mics

  • Dan Hughes
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 8, 2011
      Anyone in the market for mics should check this out; five hundred dollars'
      worth of stuff for $60 plus shipping:

      *http://tinyurl.com/4uqx3ot*

      --
      Best,

      ---Dan
      http://danhughes.net
      http://danhughesbooks.com
      http://thetreasurecorner.com
      http://thesoftballcorner.com
      http://radiofun.info

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 8, 2011
        That $500 retail value is a crock. Those mics are selling for $50 each at Amazon. I haven't used those AudioTechnica mics, but I'd have my doubts about using them for podcasting. My experience with the Shure SM57 and Beta 58 is that dynamic mics need really good preamps if you aren't using them for loud music. Cheap dynamics would need more. These were made for garage bands to jam with; I'd be surprised if you could have a satisfactory experience with them in a quiet studio.

        As for the floor stands and 20' cables -- that's actually not a bad deal (though not a "worth $500" deal), but again, it'd be odd equipment for podcasting. If you're the rare podcaster who wants to stand up while delivering -- I did -- consider a boom stand first, and check Craigslist for broke musicians selling locally.

        Have Fun,
        Steve Eley

        On Mar 8, 2011, at 9:27 AM, Dan Hughes wrote:

        > Anyone in the market for mics should check this out; five hundred dollars'
        > worth of stuff for $60 plus shipping:
        >
        > *http://tinyurl.com/4uqx3ot*
        >
        > --
        > Best,
        >
        > ---Dan
        > http://danhughes.net
        > http://danhughesbooks.com
        > http://thetreasurecorner.com
        > http://thesoftballcorner.com
        > http://radiofun.info

      • Dan Hughes
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 8, 2011
          Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:

          > Those mics are selling for $50 each at Amazon.... As for the floor stands
          > and 20' cables -- that's actually not a bad deal...
          >
          > Steve, I've used dynamics for podcasting and they have done fine (maybe my
          standards are loose) for me. My main mic right now is a dynamic (Heil PR40)
          which I love, and I have several good condenser mics that I don't think
          sound quite as good.

          Anyway, bottom line is a hundred dollars' worth of mics and two floor stands
          and two 20-foot cables for $60 plus shipping. And AT mics do have a great
          reputation.

          ---Dan

          > On Mar 8, 2011, at 9:27 AM, Dan Hughes wrote:
          >
          > > Anyone in the market for mics should check this out; five hundred
          > dollars'
          > > worth of stuff for $60 plus shipping:
          > >
          > > *http://tinyurl.com/4uqx3ot*
          > >
          > > --
          > > Best,
          > >
          > > ---Dan
          > > http://danhughes.net
          > > http://danhughesbooks.com
          > > http://thetreasurecorner.com
          > > http://thesoftballcorner.com
          > > http://radiofun.info

          Best,

          ---Dan
          http://danhughes.net
          http://danhughesbooks.com
          http://thetreasurecorner.com
          http://thesoftballcorner.com
          http://radiofun.info

        • C. Hatton Humphrey
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 8, 2011
            > That $500 retail value is a crock.

            Yeah, Guitar Center's markups can be rather steep.

            Until Later!
            C. Hatton Humphrey

            No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large