Re: [podcasters] What's this equipment called?

  • Charley Hays
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 7 4:24 PM
      Most all radio stations are automated these days and what you have seen is
      most likely the ENCO software. It is very much like the soundboard and pod
      producer apps, but it does alot more. It has the music / spots playlist
      embedded and it also has some basic audio editing features as well and is
      all done via touch screen.

      On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 6:48 PM, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:

      > So I have seen in a few radio studios a piece of equipment which I don't
      > know what to call.
      >
      > It's kind of like a cart machine but it has no physical tapes or anything.
      > Instead it's basically a box with a bunch of buttons. Apparently you can
      > load it up with MP3 files, typically bumpers and sound effects and they
      > play
      > whenever you press the corresponding button. You hook it up to a channel on
      > your mixing board.
      >
      > Are these things also called cart machines? Or is there another term for
      > them?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Calvin

      Charley Hays
      web: www.hayscreativemedia.com
      podcast: www.crossdrivenradio.com
      skype: charley_hays
      twitter: www.twitter.com/charleyhays

    • tapeleg
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 8 9:02 PM
        Are you thinking of the Instant Replay? Here is an image to compare.

        http://www.verrents.com/assets/026/9151.jpg

        There are software alternatives as well.

        Hope this helps.

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:

        > So I have seen in a few radio studios a piece of equipment which I don't
        > know what to call.
        >
        > It's kind of like a cart machine but it has no physical tapes or anything.
        > Instead it's basically a box with a bunch of buttons. Apparently you can
        > load it up with MP3 files, typically bumpers and sound effects and they play
        > whenever you press the corresponding button. You hook it up to a channel on
        > your mixing board.
        >
        > Are these things also called cart machines? Or is there another term for
        > them?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Calvin

      • Calvin Powers
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 9 7:40 PM
          Yes. That's very similar to the one I saw. It looks more complicated, but
          it's clearly in the same class of device. Thanks! I've seen some of the
          software alternatives (SoundByte for example), but I'd be interested in a
          hardware solution if it is not too expensive.

          Thanks for the pointer.
          Calvin

          On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 9:02 PM, tapeleg <tapeleg@...>wrote:

          > Are you thinking of the Instant Replay? Here is an image to compare.
          >
          > http://www.verrents.com/assets/026/9151.jpg
          >
          > There are software alternatives as well.
          >
          > Hope this helps.
          >
          > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > So I have seen in a few radio studios a piece of equipment which I don't
          > > know what to call.
          > >
          > > It's kind of like a cart machine but it has no physical tapes or
          > anything.
          > > Instead it's basically a box with a bunch of buttons. Apparently you can
          > > load it up with MP3 files, typically bumpers and sound effects and they
          > play
          > > whenever you press the corresponding button. You hook it up to a channel
          > on
          > > your mixing board.
          > >
          > > Are these things also called cart machines? Or is there another term for
          > > them?
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Calvin

        • tapeleg
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 10 8:01 AM
            No problem. I know they make several models, so there are options for you.

            I'm curious about why you want a hardware unit over a software unit. There are some great software solutions out there, as well as hardware to control it via USB.

            For example, I'm using Soundboard (because I'm on a Mac) and have a Launchpad as a hardware controller. It acts as a 72 button midi controller (USB powered), and is pretty flexible (and comes with a lite version of Ableton Live).

            Perhaps my favorite part of this setup is the flexibility of the the entire system. A hardware solution does one thing only. Going the software route means you can edit your sounds graphically, playback other audio, and do anything else you want with your computer down the road. If you don't need a playback machine like an Instant Replay, it won't be collecting dust in the corner.

            Soundboard: http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/soundboard/

            Launchpad: http://www.novationmusic.com/products/midi_controller/launchpad

            Of course, you may have already considered all of this. I just wanted to throw some options out there for you.

            But Instant Replay systems are not cheap. I just saw a new one for $3,000, so there is that.

            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:

            > Yes. That's very similar to the one I saw. It looks more complicated, but
            > it's clearly in the same class of device. Thanks! I've seen some of the
            > software alternatives (SoundByte for example), but I'd be interested in a
            > hardware solution if it is not too expensive.
            >
            > Thanks for the pointer.
            > Calvin

          • Calvin Powers
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 10 1:56 PM
              Thanks for the thoughts on software alternatives. I have used a
              windows program called SoundByte for a couple of episodes of my
              podcast and it worked ok. That particular program is buggy and poorly
              designed, but it gets the job done.

              The reason I was looking for a hardware solution is that the software
              solution requires hooking up the laptop to the mixer. I've tried two
              different types of connecting, a USB sound card and a cable that plugs
              into the laptop headsets. In both cases, it caused significant hum and
              buzz into the mix. Not sure what could be done to eliminate it.

              So I thought if there was a cheap hardware solution, I'd go with that.

              But I'll continue to look at software solutions too.

              Thanks,
              Calvin

              On Thursday, March 10, 2011, tapeleg <tapeleg@...> wrote:
              > No problem.  I know they make several models, so there are options for you.
              >
              > I'm curious about why you want a hardware unit over a software unit.  There are some great software solutions out there, as well as hardware to control it via USB.
              >
              > For example, I'm using Soundboard (because I'm on a Mac) and have a Launchpad as a hardware controller.  It acts as a 72 button midi controller (USB powered), and is pretty flexible (and comes with a lite version of Ableton Live).
              >
              > Perhaps my favorite part of this setup is the flexibility of the the entire system.  A hardware solution does one thing only. Going the software route means you can edit your sounds graphically, playback other audio, and do anything else you want with your computer down the road.  If you don't need a playback machine like an Instant Replay, it won't be collecting dust in the corner.
              >
              > Soundboard: http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/soundboard/
              >
              > Launchpad: http://www.novationmusic.com/products/midi_controller/launchpad
              >

              > Of course, you may have already considered all of this.  I just wanted to throw some options out there for you.
              >
              > But Instant Replay systems are not cheap.  I just saw a new one for $3,000, so there is that.
              >

              > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Yes. That's very similar to the one I saw. It looks more complicated, but
              >> it's clearly in the same class of device. Thanks! I've seen some of the
              >> software alternatives (SoundByte for example), but I'd be interested in a
              >> hardware solution if it is not too expensive.
              >>
              >> Thanks for the pointer.
              >> Calvin

              ==========
              Calvin Powers
              http://claimid.com/calvin
            • tapeleg
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 11 7:59 AM
                I haven't used Soundbyte myself, but I have used Soundboard, and like it quite a bit. I'm going to assume that you are using a PC, but if you are on a Mac, Soundboard offers some interesting solutions for audio routing with other programs.

                As for your hum problem, it could be that you have a ground loop going between your two computers. If it comes and goes when you plug and unplug your audio jack, you can try using a ground lift adapter on one of the computers, and see if that fixes it. Ground loops are fairly common in the world of pro audio, and especially bothersome with life audio. They are cheap, and you can find them at any radio shack or hardware store. Here is an example of what I am talking about:

                http://www.amazon.com/UL-Listed-Plug-Adapter-Convert-3-Prong/dp/B003C24UM2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1299858852&sr=8-5

                I'm sorry that I'm a little Mac centric (I switched over about 3 1/2 years ago, and haven't looked back), but considering how much an Instant Replay system costs, a new (refubished) MacBook Pro, Launchpad, USB I/O box and software would run you roughly $1300, versus the Replay at $3000. I'm not trying to push you into that, but I just realized how neat it is to have those abilities and at that low a price.

                Let me know if I can be of other help.

                James

                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:

                > Thanks for the thoughts on software alternatives. I have used a
                > windows program called SoundByte for a couple of episodes of my
                > podcast and it worked ok. That particular program is buggy and poorly
                > designed, but it gets the job done.
                >
                > The reason I was looking for a hardware solution is that the software
                > solution requires hooking up the laptop to the mixer. I've tried two
                > different types of connecting, a USB sound card and a cable that plugs
                > into the laptop headsets. In both cases, it caused significant hum and
                > buzz into the mix. Not sure what could be done to eliminate it.
                >
                > So I thought if there was a cheap hardware solution, I'd go with that.
                >
                > But I'll continue to look at software solutions too.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Calvin

              • Calvin Powers
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 11 9:51 AM
                  James,

                  Thanks for the pointer on ground loops. I was just reading up on the
                  wikipedial article and it sounds like it might be the problem. I am not at
                  home now. But I do know that I have two power bars sitting on my desk. It's
                  possible that the mixer is plugged into one and the computer is plugged into
                  another which could cause the ground loop problem. Both power bars plug into
                  the same wall outlet. But in any case, it's worth making sure they are
                  plugged into the same power bar and therefore are using the same ground.

                  I'll also look into the hardware device you are talking about. And I'll also
                  see if the problem still happens when the computer is on battery.

                  Any, all good ideas to try, Thanks for the Info.

                  On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 10:59 AM, tapeleg
                  <tapeleg@...>wrote:

                  > I haven't used Soundbyte myself, but I have used Soundboard, and like it
                  > quite a bit. I'm going to assume that you are using a PC, but if you are on
                  > a Mac, Soundboard offers some interesting solutions for audio routing with
                  > other programs.
                  >
                  > As for your hum problem, it could be that you have a ground loop going
                  > between your two computers. If it comes and goes when you plug and unplug
                  > your audio jack, you can try using a ground lift adapter on one of the
                  > computers, and see if that fixes it. Ground loops are fairly common in the
                  > world of pro audio, and especially bothersome with life audio. They are
                  > cheap, and you can find them at any radio shack or hardware store. Here is
                  > an example of what I am talking about:
                  >

                  > http://www.amazon.com/UL-Listed-Plug-Adapter-Convert-3-Prong/dp/B003C24UM2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1299858852&sr=8-5
                  >
                  > I'm sorry that I'm a little Mac centric (I switched over about 3 1/2 years
                  > ago, and haven't looked back), but considering how much an Instant Replay
                  > system costs, a new (refubished) MacBook Pro, Launchpad, USB I/O box and
                  > software would run you roughly $1300, versus the Replay at $3000. I'm not
                  > trying to push you into that, but I just realized how neat it is to have
                  > those abilities and at that low a price.
                  >
                  > Let me know if I can be of other help.
                  >
                  > James
                  >

                  > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Thanks for the thoughts on software alternatives. I have used a
                  > > windows program called SoundByte for a couple of episodes of my
                  > > podcast and it worked ok. That particular program is buggy and poorly
                  > > designed, but it gets the job done.
                  > >
                  > > The reason I was looking for a hardware solution is that the software
                  > > solution requires hooking up the laptop to the mixer. I've tried two
                  > > different types of connecting, a USB sound card and a cable that plugs
                  > > into the laptop headsets. In both cases, it caused significant hum and
                  > > buzz into the mix. Not sure what could be done to eliminate it.
                  > >
                  > > So I thought if there was a cheap hardware solution, I'd go with that.
                  > >
                  > > But I'll continue to look at software solutions too.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > > Calvin

                • tapeleg
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 5, 2011
                    Calvin,

                    I don't know if you found a solution that you liked for a cart machine replacement, but I thought I would throw another solution at you.

                    There are now a few sound board programs for the iPad, including Sound Byte. You have to import your audio clips into the program, but once the setup is done, you are good to go. Touch the slot to start, and touch to start.

                    If you don't have an iPad, you can get a 16gb iPad 1 for $299 online when a refurbished one comes up. About $10 in software, and you are all set. You could use the regular audio out, or something like the Alesis IO Dock for more professional audio options, but just using the built in audio will probably be a solid solution.

                    The other great thing about the iPad setup is that you can also use it as a MIDI controller for your audio software (if you are using something more than just Audacity for your editing). An iPad is a lot more versatile than a dedicated playback machine, or midi controller.

                    Just thought you might like to hear about that alternative.

                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:

                    > So I have seen in a few radio studios a piece of equipment which I don't
                    > know what to call.
                    >
                    > It's kind of like a cart machine but it has no physical tapes or anything.
                    > Instead it's basically a box with a bunch of buttons. Apparently you can
                    > load it up with MP3 files, typically bumpers and sound effects and they play
                    > whenever you press the corresponding button. You hook it up to a channel on
                    > your mixing board.
                    >
                    > Are these things also called cart machines? Or is there another term for
                    > them?
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Calvin

                  • Steve Riekeberg
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 5, 2011
                      I believe what you're thinking of is an Instant Replay.

                      For what it's worth, the iPad route is probably much more cost effective.

                      Hope this helps,

                      Steve Riekeberg
                      Podcast Perspective
                      <http://www.podcastperspective.com>

                      On Sep 5, 2011, at 10:30 AM, "tapeleg" <tapeleg@...>
                      wrote:

                      Calvin,

                      I don't know if you found a solution that you liked for a cart machine
                      replacement, but I thought I would throw another solution at you.

                      There are now a few sound board programs for the iPad, including Sound Byte.
                      You have to import your audio clips into the program, but once the setup is
                      done, you are good to go. Touch the slot to start, and touch to start.

                      If you don't have an iPad, you can get a 16gb iPad 1 for $299 online when a
                      refurbished one comes up. About $10 in software, and you are all set. You
                      could use the regular audio out, or something like the Alesis IO Dock for
                      more professional audio options, but just using the built in audio will
                      probably be a solid solution.

                      The other great thing about the iPad setup is that you can also use it as a
                      MIDI controller for your audio software (if you are using something more
                      than just Audacity for your editing). An iPad is a lot more versatile than a
                      dedicated playback machine, or midi controller.

                      Just thought you might like to hear about that alternative.

                      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:

                      > So I have seen in a few radio studios a piece of equipment which I don't
                      > know what to call.
                      >
                      > It's kind of like a cart machine but it has no physical tapes or anything.
                      > Instead it's basically a box with a bunch of buttons. Apparently you can
                      > load it up with MP3 files, typically bumpers and sound effects and they
                      play
                      > whenever you press the corresponding button. You hook it up to a channel
                      on
                      > your mixing board.
                      >
                      > Are these things also called cart machines? Or is there another term for
                      > them?
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Calvin

                    • Calvin Powers
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 6, 2011
                        Thanks all. I have tried soundbyte for windows XP and it is close to what I
                        need. I find it to be incredibly buggy and completely non-intuitive in its
                        interface. But I have managed to convince it to load up sound files and play
                        them on demand when I need them.

                        Thanks all for your good advice.

                        Calvin

                        On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 5:38 PM, Steve Riekeberg
                        <missingintellect@...>wrote:

                        > I believe what you're thinking of is an Instant Replay.
                        >
                        > For what it's worth, the iPad route is probably much more cost effective.
                        >
                        > Hope this helps,
                        >
                        > Steve Riekeberg
                        > Podcast Perspective
                        > <http://www.podcastperspective.com>
                        >

                        > On Sep 5, 2011, at 10:30 AM, "tapeleg" <tapeleg@...>
                        > wrote:
                        >

                        > Calvin,
                        >
                        > I don't know if you found a solution that you liked for a cart machine
                        > replacement, but I thought I would throw another solution at you.
                        >
                        > There are now a few sound board programs for the iPad, including Sound
                        > Byte.
                        > You have to import your audio clips into the program, but once the setup is
                        > done, you are good to go. Touch the slot to start, and touch to start.
                        >
                        > If you don't have an iPad, you can get a 16gb iPad 1 for $299 online when a
                        > refurbished one comes up. About $10 in software, and you are all set. You
                        > could use the regular audio out, or something like the Alesis IO Dock for
                        > more professional audio options, but just using the built in audio will
                        > probably be a solid solution.
                        >
                        > The other great thing about the iPad setup is that you can also use it as a
                        > MIDI controller for your audio software (if you are using something more
                        > than just Audacity for your editing). An iPad is a lot more versatile than
                        > dedicated playback machine, or midi controller.
                        >
                        > Just thought you might like to hear about that alternative.
                        >
                        > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > So I have seen in a few radio studios a piece of equipment which I don't
                        > > know what to call.
                        > >
                        > > It's kind of like a cart machine but it has no physical tapes or
                        > anything.
                        > > Instead it's basically a box with a bunch of buttons. Apparently you can
                        > > load it up with MP3 files, typically bumpers and sound effects and they
                        > play
                        > > whenever you press the corresponding button. You hook it up to a channel
                        > on
                        > > your mixing board.
                        > >
                        > > Are these things also called cart machines? Or is there another term for
                        > > them?
                        > >
                        > > Thanks,
                        > > Calvin

                      • Steve Sergeant
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 6, 2011
                          You're referring to a product that has been copied more recently, but
                          was originally introduced by a company called "360 Systems" as part of a
                          product line called "DigiCart".

                          See [ http://www.360systems.com/products_audio.html ].

                          Their current product of this type, "Instant Replay 2" started out as a
                          control panel for a separate audio server. Now they've fit the whole
                          thing into the panel.

                          Here's where you can buy one new: [
                          http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=DR600 ]

                          Typically one loads it up with uncompressed audio files.

                          \