Re: [podcasters] What's this equipment called?

  • Ben Straw
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 7, 2011
      To many to list here. I did how ever blog about sound boards for both Windows
      and Mac
      http://www.how2podcast.com/articles/software/soundboards-play-audio-clips-while-you-record/

      Benjamin Straw
      P: 1-304-449-4335
      Skype: n3bb3n
      Twitter: Twitter.com/nebben
      Want to Learn About Podcasting? - http://How2Podcast.com

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 7, 2011
        Most all radio stations are automated these days and what you have seen is
        most likely the ENCO software. It is very much like the soundboard and pod
        producer apps, but it does alot more. It has the music / spots playlist
        embedded and it also has some basic audio editing features as well and is
        all done via touch screen.

        On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 6:48 PM, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:

        > So I have seen in a few radio studios a piece of equipment which I don't
        > know what to call.
        >
        > It's kind of like a cart machine but it has no physical tapes or anything.
        > Instead it's basically a box with a bunch of buttons. Apparently you can
        > load it up with MP3 files, typically bumpers and sound effects and they
        > play
        > whenever you press the corresponding button. You hook it up to a channel on
        > your mixing board.
        >
        > Are these things also called cart machines? Or is there another term for
        > them?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Calvin

        Charley Hays
        web: www.hayscreativemedia.com
        podcast: www.crossdrivenradio.com
        skype: charley_hays
        twitter: www.twitter.com/charleyhays

      • tapeleg
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 8, 2011
          Are you thinking of the Instant Replay? Here is an image to compare.

          http://www.verrents.com/assets/026/9151.jpg

          There are software alternatives as well.

          Hope this helps.

          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:

          > So I have seen in a few radio studios a piece of equipment which I don't
          > know what to call.
          >
          > It's kind of like a cart machine but it has no physical tapes or anything.
          > Instead it's basically a box with a bunch of buttons. Apparently you can
          > load it up with MP3 files, typically bumpers and sound effects and they play
          > whenever you press the corresponding button. You hook it up to a channel on
          > your mixing board.
          >
          > Are these things also called cart machines? Or is there another term for
          > them?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Calvin

        • Calvin Powers
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 9, 2011
            Yes. That's very similar to the one I saw. It looks more complicated, but
            it's clearly in the same class of device. Thanks! I've seen some of the
            software alternatives (SoundByte for example), but I'd be interested in a
            hardware solution if it is not too expensive.

            Thanks for the pointer.
            Calvin

            On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 9:02 PM, tapeleg <tapeleg@...>wrote:

            > Are you thinking of the Instant Replay? Here is an image to compare.
            >
            > http://www.verrents.com/assets/026/9151.jpg
            >
            > There are software alternatives as well.
            >
            > Hope this helps.
            >
            > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > So I have seen in a few radio studios a piece of equipment which I don't
            > > know what to call.
            > >
            > > It's kind of like a cart machine but it has no physical tapes or
            > anything.
            > > Instead it's basically a box with a bunch of buttons. Apparently you can
            > > load it up with MP3 files, typically bumpers and sound effects and they
            > play
            > > whenever you press the corresponding button. You hook it up to a channel
            > on
            > > your mixing board.
            > >
            > > Are these things also called cart machines? Or is there another term for
            > > them?
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > Calvin

          • tapeleg
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 10, 2011
              No problem. I know they make several models, so there are options for you.

              I'm curious about why you want a hardware unit over a software unit. There are some great software solutions out there, as well as hardware to control it via USB.

              For example, I'm using Soundboard (because I'm on a Mac) and have a Launchpad as a hardware controller. It acts as a 72 button midi controller (USB powered), and is pretty flexible (and comes with a lite version of Ableton Live).

              Perhaps my favorite part of this setup is the flexibility of the the entire system. A hardware solution does one thing only. Going the software route means you can edit your sounds graphically, playback other audio, and do anything else you want with your computer down the road. If you don't need a playback machine like an Instant Replay, it won't be collecting dust in the corner.

              Soundboard: http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/soundboard/

              Launchpad: http://www.novationmusic.com/products/midi_controller/launchpad

              Of course, you may have already considered all of this. I just wanted to throw some options out there for you.

              But Instant Replay systems are not cheap. I just saw a new one for $3,000, so there is that.

              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:

              > Yes. That's very similar to the one I saw. It looks more complicated, but
              > it's clearly in the same class of device. Thanks! I've seen some of the
              > software alternatives (SoundByte for example), but I'd be interested in a
              > hardware solution if it is not too expensive.
              >
              > Thanks for the pointer.
              > Calvin

            • Calvin Powers
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 10, 2011
                Thanks for the thoughts on software alternatives. I have used a
                windows program called SoundByte for a couple of episodes of my
                podcast and it worked ok. That particular program is buggy and poorly
                designed, but it gets the job done.

                The reason I was looking for a hardware solution is that the software
                solution requires hooking up the laptop to the mixer. I've tried two
                different types of connecting, a USB sound card and a cable that plugs
                into the laptop headsets. In both cases, it caused significant hum and
                buzz into the mix. Not sure what could be done to eliminate it.

                So I thought if there was a cheap hardware solution, I'd go with that.

                But I'll continue to look at software solutions too.

                Thanks,
                Calvin

                On Thursday, March 10, 2011, tapeleg <tapeleg@...> wrote:
                > No problem.  I know they make several models, so there are options for you.
                >
                > I'm curious about why you want a hardware unit over a software unit.  There are some great software solutions out there, as well as hardware to control it via USB.
                >
                > For example, I'm using Soundboard (because I'm on a Mac) and have a Launchpad as a hardware controller.  It acts as a 72 button midi controller (USB powered), and is pretty flexible (and comes with a lite version of Ableton Live).
                >
                > Perhaps my favorite part of this setup is the flexibility of the the entire system.  A hardware solution does one thing only. Going the software route means you can edit your sounds graphically, playback other audio, and do anything else you want with your computer down the road.  If you don't need a playback machine like an Instant Replay, it won't be collecting dust in the corner.
                >
                > Soundboard: http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/soundboard/
                >
                > Launchpad: http://www.novationmusic.com/products/midi_controller/launchpad
                >

                > Of course, you may have already considered all of this.  I just wanted to throw some options out there for you.
                >
                > But Instant Replay systems are not cheap.  I just saw a new one for $3,000, so there is that.
                >

                > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> Yes. That's very similar to the one I saw. It looks more complicated, but
                >> it's clearly in the same class of device. Thanks! I've seen some of the
                >> software alternatives (SoundByte for example), but I'd be interested in a
                >> hardware solution if it is not too expensive.
                >>
                >> Thanks for the pointer.
                >> Calvin

                ==========
                Calvin Powers
                http://claimid.com/calvin
              • tapeleg
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 11, 2011
                  I haven't used Soundbyte myself, but I have used Soundboard, and like it quite a bit. I'm going to assume that you are using a PC, but if you are on a Mac, Soundboard offers some interesting solutions for audio routing with other programs.

                  As for your hum problem, it could be that you have a ground loop going between your two computers. If it comes and goes when you plug and unplug your audio jack, you can try using a ground lift adapter on one of the computers, and see if that fixes it. Ground loops are fairly common in the world of pro audio, and especially bothersome with life audio. They are cheap, and you can find them at any radio shack or hardware store. Here is an example of what I am talking about:

                  http://www.amazon.com/UL-Listed-Plug-Adapter-Convert-3-Prong/dp/B003C24UM2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1299858852&sr=8-5

                  I'm sorry that I'm a little Mac centric (I switched over about 3 1/2 years ago, and haven't looked back), but considering how much an Instant Replay system costs, a new (refubished) MacBook Pro, Launchpad, USB I/O box and software would run you roughly $1300, versus the Replay at $3000. I'm not trying to push you into that, but I just realized how neat it is to have those abilities and at that low a price.

                  Let me know if I can be of other help.

                  James

                  --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks for the thoughts on software alternatives. I have used a
                  > windows program called SoundByte for a couple of episodes of my
                  > podcast and it worked ok. That particular program is buggy and poorly
                  > designed, but it gets the job done.
                  >
                  > The reason I was looking for a hardware solution is that the software
                  > solution requires hooking up the laptop to the mixer. I've tried two
                  > different types of connecting, a USB sound card and a cable that plugs
                  > into the laptop headsets. In both cases, it caused significant hum and
                  > buzz into the mix. Not sure what could be done to eliminate it.
                  >
                  > So I thought if there was a cheap hardware solution, I'd go with that.
                  >
                  > But I'll continue to look at software solutions too.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Calvin

                • Calvin Powers
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 11, 2011
                    James,

                    Thanks for the pointer on ground loops. I was just reading up on the
                    wikipedial article and it sounds like it might be the problem. I am not at
                    home now. But I do know that I have two power bars sitting on my desk. It's
                    possible that the mixer is plugged into one and the computer is plugged into
                    another which could cause the ground loop problem. Both power bars plug into
                    the same wall outlet. But in any case, it's worth making sure they are
                    plugged into the same power bar and therefore are using the same ground.

                    I'll also look into the hardware device you are talking about. And I'll also
                    see if the problem still happens when the computer is on battery.

                    Any, all good ideas to try, Thanks for the Info.

                    On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 10:59 AM, tapeleg
                    <tapeleg@...>wrote:

                    > I haven't used Soundbyte myself, but I have used Soundboard, and like it
                    > quite a bit. I'm going to assume that you are using a PC, but if you are on
                    > a Mac, Soundboard offers some interesting solutions for audio routing with
                    > other programs.
                    >
                    > As for your hum problem, it could be that you have a ground loop going
                    > between your two computers. If it comes and goes when you plug and unplug
                    > your audio jack, you can try using a ground lift adapter on one of the
                    > computers, and see if that fixes it. Ground loops are fairly common in the
                    > world of pro audio, and especially bothersome with life audio. They are
                    > cheap, and you can find them at any radio shack or hardware store. Here is
                    > an example of what I am talking about:
                    >

                    > http://www.amazon.com/UL-Listed-Plug-Adapter-Convert-3-Prong/dp/B003C24UM2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1299858852&sr=8-5
                    >
                    > I'm sorry that I'm a little Mac centric (I switched over about 3 1/2 years
                    > ago, and haven't looked back), but considering how much an Instant Replay
                    > system costs, a new (refubished) MacBook Pro, Launchpad, USB I/O box and
                    > software would run you roughly $1300, versus the Replay at $3000. I'm not
                    > trying to push you into that, but I just realized how neat it is to have
                    > those abilities and at that low a price.
                    >
                    > Let me know if I can be of other help.
                    >
                    > James
                    >

                    > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Thanks for the thoughts on software alternatives. I have used a
                    > > windows program called SoundByte for a couple of episodes of my
                    > > podcast and it worked ok. That particular program is buggy and poorly
                    > > designed, but it gets the job done.
                    > >
                    > > The reason I was looking for a hardware solution is that the software
                    > > solution requires hooking up the laptop to the mixer. I've tried two
                    > > different types of connecting, a USB sound card and a cable that plugs
                    > > into the laptop headsets. In both cases, it caused significant hum and
                    > > buzz into the mix. Not sure what could be done to eliminate it.
                    > >
                    > > So I thought if there was a cheap hardware solution, I'd go with that.
                    > >
                    > > But I'll continue to look at software solutions too.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks,
                    > > Calvin

                  • tapeleg
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 5, 2011
                      Calvin,

                      I don't know if you found a solution that you liked for a cart machine replacement, but I thought I would throw another solution at you.

                      There are now a few sound board programs for the iPad, including Sound Byte. You have to import your audio clips into the program, but once the setup is done, you are good to go. Touch the slot to start, and touch to start.

                      If you don't have an iPad, you can get a 16gb iPad 1 for $299 online when a refurbished one comes up. About $10 in software, and you are all set. You could use the regular audio out, or something like the Alesis IO Dock for more professional audio options, but just using the built in audio will probably be a solid solution.

                      The other great thing about the iPad setup is that you can also use it as a MIDI controller for your audio software (if you are using something more than just Audacity for your editing). An iPad is a lot more versatile than a dedicated playback machine, or midi controller.

                      Just thought you might like to hear about that alternative.

                      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:

                      > So I have seen in a few radio studios a piece of equipment which I don't
                      > know what to call.
                      >
                      > It's kind of like a cart machine but it has no physical tapes or anything.
                      > Instead it's basically a box with a bunch of buttons. Apparently you can
                      > load it up with MP3 files, typically bumpers and sound effects and they play
                      > whenever you press the corresponding button. You hook it up to a channel on
                      > your mixing board.
                      >
                      > Are these things also called cart machines? Or is there another term for
                      > them?
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Calvin

                    • Steve Riekeberg
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 5, 2011
                        I believe what you're thinking of is an Instant Replay.

                        For what it's worth, the iPad route is probably much more cost effective.

                        Hope this helps,

                        Steve Riekeberg
                        Podcast Perspective
                        <http://www.podcastperspective.com>

                        On Sep 5, 2011, at 10:30 AM, "tapeleg" <tapeleg@...>
                        wrote:

                        Calvin,

                        I don't know if you found a solution that you liked for a cart machine
                        replacement, but I thought I would throw another solution at you.

                        There are now a few sound board programs for the iPad, including Sound Byte.
                        You have to import your audio clips into the program, but once the setup is
                        done, you are good to go. Touch the slot to start, and touch to start.

                        If you don't have an iPad, you can get a 16gb iPad 1 for $299 online when a
                        refurbished one comes up. About $10 in software, and you are all set. You
                        could use the regular audio out, or something like the Alesis IO Dock for
                        more professional audio options, but just using the built in audio will
                        probably be a solid solution.

                        The other great thing about the iPad setup is that you can also use it as a
                        MIDI controller for your audio software (if you are using something more
                        than just Audacity for your editing). An iPad is a lot more versatile than a
                        dedicated playback machine, or midi controller.

                        Just thought you might like to hear about that alternative.

                        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:

                        > So I have seen in a few radio studios a piece of equipment which I don't
                        > know what to call.
                        >
                        > It's kind of like a cart machine but it has no physical tapes or anything.
                        > Instead it's basically a box with a bunch of buttons. Apparently you can
                        > load it up with MP3 files, typically bumpers and sound effects and they
                        play
                        > whenever you press the corresponding button. You hook it up to a channel
                        on
                        > your mixing board.
                        >
                        > Are these things also called cart machines? Or is there another term for
                        > them?
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        > Calvin

                      • Calvin Powers
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 6, 2011
                          Thanks all. I have tried soundbyte for windows XP and it is close to what I
                          need. I find it to be incredibly buggy and completely non-intuitive in its
                          interface. But I have managed to convince it to load up sound files and play
                          them on demand when I need them.

                          Thanks all for your good advice.

                          Calvin

                          On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 5:38 PM, Steve Riekeberg
                          <missingintellect@...>wrote:

                          > I believe what you're thinking of is an Instant Replay.
                          >
                          > For what it's worth, the iPad route is probably much more cost effective.
                          >
                          > Hope this helps,
                          >
                          > Steve Riekeberg
                          > Podcast Perspective
                          > <http://www.podcastperspective.com>
                          >

                          > On Sep 5, 2011, at 10:30 AM, "tapeleg" <tapeleg@...>
                          > wrote:
                          >

                          > Calvin,
                          >
                          > I don't know if you found a solution that you liked for a cart machine
                          > replacement, but I thought I would throw another solution at you.
                          >
                          > There are now a few sound board programs for the iPad, including Sound
                          > Byte.
                          > You have to import your audio clips into the program, but once the setup is
                          > done, you are good to go. Touch the slot to start, and touch to start.
                          >
                          > If you don't have an iPad, you can get a 16gb iPad 1 for $299 online when a
                          > refurbished one comes up. About $10 in software, and you are all set. You
                          > could use the regular audio out, or something like the Alesis IO Dock for
                          > more professional audio options, but just using the built in audio will
                          > probably be a solid solution.
                          >
                          > The other great thing about the iPad setup is that you can also use it as a
                          > MIDI controller for your audio software (if you are using something more
                          > than just Audacity for your editing). An iPad is a lot more versatile than
                          > dedicated playback machine, or midi controller.
                          >
                          > Just thought you might like to hear about that alternative.
                          >
                          > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > So I have seen in a few radio studios a piece of equipment which I don't
                          > > know what to call.
                          > >
                          > > It's kind of like a cart machine but it has no physical tapes or
                          > anything.
                          > > Instead it's basically a box with a bunch of buttons. Apparently you can
                          > > load it up with MP3 files, typically bumpers and sound effects and they
                          > play
                          > > whenever you press the corresponding button. You hook it up to a channel
                          > on
                          > > your mixing board.
                          > >
                          > > Are these things also called cart machines? Or is there another term for
                          > > them?
                          > >
                          > > Thanks,
                          > > Calvin

                        • Steve Sergeant
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 6, 2011
                            You're referring to a product that has been copied more recently, but
                            was originally introduced by a company called "360 Systems" as part of a
                            product line called "DigiCart".

                            See [ http://www.360systems.com/products_audio.html ].

                            Their current product of this type, "Instant Replay 2" started out as a
                            control panel for a separate audio server. Now they've fit the whole
                            thing into the panel.

                            Here's where you can buy one new: [
                            http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=DR600 ]

                            Typically one loads it up with uncompressed audio files.

                            \