Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

What's this equipment called?

Expand Messages
  • Calvin Powers
    So I have seen in a few radio studios a piece of equipment which I don t know what to call. It s kind of like a cart machine but it has no physical tapes or
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 7, 2011
    • 0 Attachment
      So I have seen in a few radio studios a piece of equipment which I don't
      know what to call.

      It's kind of like a cart machine but it has no physical tapes or anything.
      Instead it's basically a box with a bunch of buttons. Apparently you can
      load it up with MP3 files, typically bumpers and sound effects and they play
      whenever you press the corresponding button. You hook it up to a channel on
      your mixing board.

      Are these things also called cart machines? Or is there another term for
      them?

      Thanks,
      Calvin

      --
      ==========
      Calvin Powers
      http://claimid.com/calvin


      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    • Douglas E. Welch
      I would call something like that a sound board . In fact, Ambrosia Software has one called just that, SoundBoard.
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 7, 2011
      • 0 Attachment
        I would call something like that a "sound board".

        In fact, Ambrosia Software has one called just that, SoundBoard.

        http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/soundboard/
        *
        *
        *DEW*
        *
        *
        *--*
        *Douglas E. Welch*
        *"Helping with all your technology and New Media needs"*
        Web: http://DouglasEWelch.com -- Email: me@...

        Find career opportunities from around the US at jobs.welchwrite.com



        On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 3:48 PM, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:

        >
        >
        > So I have seen in a few radio studios a piece of equipment which I don't
        > know what to call.
        >
        > It's kind of like a cart machine but it has no physical tapes or anything.
        > Instead it's basically a box with a bunch of buttons. Apparently you can
        > load it up with MP3 files, typically bumpers and sound effects and they
        > play
        > whenever you press the corresponding button. You hook it up to a channel on
        > your mixing board.
        >
        > Are these things also called cart machines? Or is there another term for
        > them?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Calvin
        >
        > --
        > ==========
        > Calvin Powers
        > http://claimid.com/calvin
        >
        > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        >
        >
        >


        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      • Calvin Powers
        Cool. Thanks. I was looking for a hardware solution. But maybe a software based solution would be ok too. Anyone know of a windows equivalent? Calvin ... --
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 7, 2011
        • 0 Attachment
          Cool. Thanks. I was looking for a hardware solution. But maybe a software
          based solution would be ok too.

          Anyone know of a windows equivalent?

          Calvin

          On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 7:01 PM, Douglas E. Welch <douglas@...>wrote:

          > I would call something like that a "sound board".
          >
          > In fact, Ambrosia Software has one called just that, SoundBoard.
          >
          > http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/soundboard/
          > *
          > *
          > *DEW*
          > *
          > *
          > *--*
          > *Douglas E. Welch*
          > *"Helping with all your technology and New Media needs"*
          > Web: http://DouglasEWelch.com -- Email: me@...
          >
          > Find career opportunities from around the US at jobs.welchwrite.com
          >
          >
          >
          > On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 3:48 PM, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:
          >
          > >
          > >
          > > So I have seen in a few radio studios a piece of equipment which I don't
          > > know what to call.
          > >
          > > It's kind of like a cart machine but it has no physical tapes or
          > anything.
          > > Instead it's basically a box with a bunch of buttons. Apparently you can
          > > load it up with MP3 files, typically bumpers and sound effects and they
          > > play
          > > whenever you press the corresponding button. You hook it up to a channel
          > on
          > > your mixing board.
          > >
          > > Are these things also called cart machines? Or is there another term for
          > > them?
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Calvin
          > >
          > > --
          > > ==========
          > > Calvin Powers
          > > http://claimid.com/calvin
          > >
          > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          > >
          > >
          > >
          >
          >
          > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          >
          >
          >
          > ------------------------------------
          >
          > YahooGroups Podcasters Links
          >
          > ------------------------------------
          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >
          >
          >
          >


          --
          ==========
          Calvin Powers
          http://claimid.com/calvin


          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        • Ben Straw
          To many to list here. I did how ever blog about sound boards for both Windows and Mac
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 7, 2011
          • 0 Attachment
            To many to list here. I did how ever blog about sound boards for both Windows
            and Mac
            http://www.how2podcast.com/articles/software/soundboards-play-audio-clips-while-you-record/


            Benjamin Straw
            P: 1-304-449-4335
            Skype: n3bb3n
            Twitter: Twitter.com/nebben
            Want to Learn About Podcasting? - http://How2Podcast.com




            ________________________________
            From: Calvin Powers <calvin@...>
            To: podcasters@yahoogroups.com
            Sent: Mon, March 7, 2011 6:06:23 PM
            Subject: Re: [podcasters] What's this equipment called?


            Cool. Thanks. I was looking for a hardware solution. But maybe a software
            based solution would be ok too.

            Anyone know of a windows equivalent?

            Calvin

            On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 7:01 PM, Douglas E. Welch <douglas@...>wrote:

            > I would call something like that a "sound board".
            >
            > In fact, Ambrosia Software has one called just that, SoundBoard.
            >
            > http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/soundboard/
            > *
            > *
            > *DEW*
            > *
            > *
            > *--*
            > *Douglas E. Welch*
            > *"Helping with all your technology and New Media needs"*
            > Web: http://DouglasEWelch.com -- Email: me@...
            >
            > Find career opportunities from around the US at jobs.welchwrite.com
            >
            >
            >
            > On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 3:48 PM, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:
            >
            > >
            > >
            > > So I have seen in a few radio studios a piece of equipment which I don't
            > > know what to call.
            > >
            > > It's kind of like a cart machine but it has no physical tapes or
            > anything.
            > > Instead it's basically a box with a bunch of buttons. Apparently you can
            > > load it up with MP3 files, typically bumpers and sound effects and they
            > > play
            > > whenever you press the corresponding button. You hook it up to a channel
            > on
            > > your mixing board.
            > >
            > > Are these things also called cart machines? Or is there another term for
            > > them?
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > Calvin
            > >
            > > --
            > > ==========
            > > Calvin Powers
            > > http://claimid.com/calvin
            > >
            > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            > >
            > >
            > >
            >
            >
            > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            >
            >
            >
            > ------------------------------------
            >
            > YahooGroups Podcasters Links
            >
            > ------------------------------------
            > Yahoo! Groups Links
            >
            >
            >
            >

            --
            ==========
            Calvin Powers
            http://claimid.com/calvin

            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]







            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          • Charley Hays
            Most all radio stations are automated these days and what you have seen is most likely the ENCO software. It is very much like the soundboard and pod producer
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 7, 2011
            • 0 Attachment
              Most all radio stations are automated these days and what you have seen is
              most likely the ENCO software. It is very much like the soundboard and pod
              producer apps, but it does alot more. It has the music / spots playlist
              embedded and it also has some basic audio editing features as well and is
              all done via touch screen.

              On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 6:48 PM, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:

              >
              >
              > So I have seen in a few radio studios a piece of equipment which I don't
              > know what to call.
              >
              > It's kind of like a cart machine but it has no physical tapes or anything.
              > Instead it's basically a box with a bunch of buttons. Apparently you can
              > load it up with MP3 files, typically bumpers and sound effects and they
              > play
              > whenever you press the corresponding button. You hook it up to a channel on
              > your mixing board.
              >
              > Are these things also called cart machines? Or is there another term for
              > them?
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Calvin
              >
              > --
              > ==========
              > Calvin Powers
              > http://claimid.com/calvin
              >
              > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
              >
              >
              >



              --
              Charley Hays
              web: www.hayscreativemedia.com
              podcast: www.crossdrivenradio.com
              skype: charley_hays
              twitter: www.twitter.com/charleyhays


              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            • tapeleg
              Are you thinking of the Instant Replay? Here is an image to compare. http://www.verrents.com/assets/026/9151.jpg There are software alternatives as well. Hope
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 8, 2011
              • 0 Attachment
                Are you thinking of the Instant Replay? Here is an image to compare.

                http://www.verrents.com/assets/026/9151.jpg

                There are software alternatives as well.

                Hope this helps.

                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:
                >
                > So I have seen in a few radio studios a piece of equipment which I don't
                > know what to call.
                >
                > It's kind of like a cart machine but it has no physical tapes or anything.
                > Instead it's basically a box with a bunch of buttons. Apparently you can
                > load it up with MP3 files, typically bumpers and sound effects and they play
                > whenever you press the corresponding button. You hook it up to a channel on
                > your mixing board.
                >
                > Are these things also called cart machines? Or is there another term for
                > them?
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Calvin
                >
                > --
                > ==========
                > Calvin Powers
                > http://claimid.com/calvin
                >
                >
                > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                >
              • Calvin Powers
                Yes. That s very similar to the one I saw. It looks more complicated, but it s clearly in the same class of device. Thanks! I ve seen some of the software
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 9, 2011
                • 0 Attachment
                  Yes. That's very similar to the one I saw. It looks more complicated, but
                  it's clearly in the same class of device. Thanks! I've seen some of the
                  software alternatives (SoundByte for example), but I'd be interested in a
                  hardware solution if it is not too expensive.

                  Thanks for the pointer.
                  Calvin

                  On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 9:02 PM, tapeleg <tapeleg@...>wrote:

                  > Are you thinking of the Instant Replay? Here is an image to compare.
                  >
                  > http://www.verrents.com/assets/026/9151.jpg
                  >
                  > There are software alternatives as well.
                  >
                  > Hope this helps.
                  >
                  > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > So I have seen in a few radio studios a piece of equipment which I don't
                  > > know what to call.
                  > >
                  > > It's kind of like a cart machine but it has no physical tapes or
                  > anything.
                  > > Instead it's basically a box with a bunch of buttons. Apparently you can
                  > > load it up with MP3 files, typically bumpers and sound effects and they
                  > play
                  > > whenever you press the corresponding button. You hook it up to a channel
                  > on
                  > > your mixing board.
                  > >
                  > > Are these things also called cart machines? Or is there another term for
                  > > them?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > > Calvin
                  > >
                  > > --
                  > > ==========
                  > > Calvin Powers
                  > > http://claimid.com/calvin
                  > >
                  > >
                  > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  > >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > ------------------------------------
                  >
                  > YahooGroups Podcasters Links
                  >
                  > ------------------------------------
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >


                  --
                  ==========
                  Calvin Powers
                  http://claimid.com/calvin


                  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                • tapeleg
                  No problem. I know they make several models, so there are options for you. I m curious about why you want a hardware unit over a software unit. There are
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 10, 2011
                  • 0 Attachment
                    No problem. I know they make several models, so there are options for you.

                    I'm curious about why you want a hardware unit over a software unit. There are some great software solutions out there, as well as hardware to control it via USB.

                    For example, I'm using Soundboard (because I'm on a Mac) and have a Launchpad as a hardware controller. It acts as a 72 button midi controller (USB powered), and is pretty flexible (and comes with a lite version of Ableton Live).

                    Perhaps my favorite part of this setup is the flexibility of the the entire system. A hardware solution does one thing only. Going the software route means you can edit your sounds graphically, playback other audio, and do anything else you want with your computer down the road. If you don't need a playback machine like an Instant Replay, it won't be collecting dust in the corner.

                    Soundboard: http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/soundboard/

                    Launchpad: http://www.novationmusic.com/products/midi_controller/launchpad


                    Of course, you may have already considered all of this. I just wanted to throw some options out there for you.

                    But Instant Replay systems are not cheap. I just saw a new one for $3,000, so there is that.




                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > Yes. That's very similar to the one I saw. It looks more complicated, but
                    > it's clearly in the same class of device. Thanks! I've seen some of the
                    > software alternatives (SoundByte for example), but I'd be interested in a
                    > hardware solution if it is not too expensive.
                    >
                    > Thanks for the pointer.
                    > Calvin
                    >
                  • Calvin Powers
                    Thanks for the thoughts on software alternatives. I have used a windows program called SoundByte for a couple of episodes of my podcast and it worked ok. That
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 10, 2011
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Thanks for the thoughts on software alternatives. I have used a
                      windows program called SoundByte for a couple of episodes of my
                      podcast and it worked ok. That particular program is buggy and poorly
                      designed, but it gets the job done.

                      The reason I was looking for a hardware solution is that the software
                      solution requires hooking up the laptop to the mixer. I've tried two
                      different types of connecting, a USB sound card and a cable that plugs
                      into the laptop headsets. In both cases, it caused significant hum and
                      buzz into the mix. Not sure what could be done to eliminate it.

                      So I thought if there was a cheap hardware solution, I'd go with that.

                      But I'll continue to look at software solutions too.

                      Thanks,
                      Calvin


                      On Thursday, March 10, 2011, tapeleg <tapeleg@...> wrote:
                      > No problem.  I know they make several models, so there are options for you.
                      >
                      > I'm curious about why you want a hardware unit over a software unit.  There are some great software solutions out there, as well as hardware to control it via USB.
                      >
                      > For example, I'm using Soundboard (because I'm on a Mac) and have a Launchpad as a hardware controller.  It acts as a 72 button midi controller (USB powered), and is pretty flexible (and comes with a lite version of Ableton Live).
                      >
                      > Perhaps my favorite part of this setup is the flexibility of the the entire system.  A hardware solution does one thing only. Going the software route means you can edit your sounds graphically, playback other audio, and do anything else you want with your computer down the road.  If you don't need a playback machine like an Instant Replay, it won't be collecting dust in the corner.
                      >
                      > Soundboard: http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/soundboard/
                      >
                      > Launchpad: http://www.novationmusic.com/products/midi_controller/launchpad
                      >
                      >
                      > Of course, you may have already considered all of this.  I just wanted to throw some options out there for you.
                      >
                      > But Instant Replay systems are not cheap.  I just saw a new one for $3,000, so there is that.
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Yes. That's very similar to the one I saw. It looks more complicated, but
                      >> it's clearly in the same class of device. Thanks! I've seen some of the
                      >> software alternatives (SoundByte for example), but I'd be interested in a
                      >> hardware solution if it is not too expensive.
                      >>
                      >> Thanks for the pointer.
                      >> Calvin
                      >>
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      > ------------------------------------
                      >
                      > YahooGroups Podcasters Links
                      >
                      > ------------------------------------
                      > Yahoo! Groups Links
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      >

                      --
                      ==========
                      Calvin Powers
                      http://claimid.com/calvin
                    • tapeleg
                      I haven t used Soundbyte myself, but I have used Soundboard, and like it quite a bit. I m going to assume that you are using a PC, but if you are on a Mac,
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 11, 2011
                      • 0 Attachment
                        I haven't used Soundbyte myself, but I have used Soundboard, and like it quite a bit. I'm going to assume that you are using a PC, but if you are on a Mac, Soundboard offers some interesting solutions for audio routing with other programs.

                        As for your hum problem, it could be that you have a ground loop going between your two computers. If it comes and goes when you plug and unplug your audio jack, you can try using a ground lift adapter on one of the computers, and see if that fixes it. Ground loops are fairly common in the world of pro audio, and especially bothersome with life audio. They are cheap, and you can find them at any radio shack or hardware store. Here is an example of what I am talking about:

                        http://www.amazon.com/UL-Listed-Plug-Adapter-Convert-3-Prong/dp/B003C24UM2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1299858852&sr=8-5

                        I'm sorry that I'm a little Mac centric (I switched over about 3 1/2 years ago, and haven't looked back), but considering how much an Instant Replay system costs, a new (refubished) MacBook Pro, Launchpad, USB I/O box and software would run you roughly $1300, versus the Replay at $3000. I'm not trying to push you into that, but I just realized how neat it is to have those abilities and at that low a price.

                        Let me know if I can be of other help.

                        James


                        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > Thanks for the thoughts on software alternatives. I have used a
                        > windows program called SoundByte for a couple of episodes of my
                        > podcast and it worked ok. That particular program is buggy and poorly
                        > designed, but it gets the job done.
                        >
                        > The reason I was looking for a hardware solution is that the software
                        > solution requires hooking up the laptop to the mixer. I've tried two
                        > different types of connecting, a USB sound card and a cable that plugs
                        > into the laptop headsets. In both cases, it caused significant hum and
                        > buzz into the mix. Not sure what could be done to eliminate it.
                        >
                        > So I thought if there was a cheap hardware solution, I'd go with that.
                        >
                        > But I'll continue to look at software solutions too.
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        > Calvin
                        >
                        >
                      • Calvin Powers
                        James, Thanks for the pointer on ground loops. I was just reading up on the wikipedial article and it sounds like it might be the problem. I am not at home
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 11, 2011
                        • 0 Attachment
                          James,

                          Thanks for the pointer on ground loops. I was just reading up on the
                          wikipedial article and it sounds like it might be the problem. I am not at
                          home now. But I do know that I have two power bars sitting on my desk. It's
                          possible that the mixer is plugged into one and the computer is plugged into
                          another which could cause the ground loop problem. Both power bars plug into
                          the same wall outlet. But in any case, it's worth making sure they are
                          plugged into the same power bar and therefore are using the same ground.

                          I'll also look into the hardware device you are talking about. And I'll also
                          see if the problem still happens when the computer is on battery.

                          Any, all good ideas to try, Thanks for the Info.



                          On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 10:59 AM, tapeleg
                          <tapeleg@...>wrote:

                          > I haven't used Soundbyte myself, but I have used Soundboard, and like it
                          > quite a bit. I'm going to assume that you are using a PC, but if you are on
                          > a Mac, Soundboard offers some interesting solutions for audio routing with
                          > other programs.
                          >
                          > As for your hum problem, it could be that you have a ground loop going
                          > between your two computers. If it comes and goes when you plug and unplug
                          > your audio jack, you can try using a ground lift adapter on one of the
                          > computers, and see if that fixes it. Ground loops are fairly common in the
                          > world of pro audio, and especially bothersome with life audio. They are
                          > cheap, and you can find them at any radio shack or hardware store. Here is
                          > an example of what I am talking about:
                          >
                          >
                          > http://www.amazon.com/UL-Listed-Plug-Adapter-Convert-3-Prong/dp/B003C24UM2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1299858852&sr=8-5
                          >
                          > I'm sorry that I'm a little Mac centric (I switched over about 3 1/2 years
                          > ago, and haven't looked back), but considering how much an Instant Replay
                          > system costs, a new (refubished) MacBook Pro, Launchpad, USB I/O box and
                          > software would run you roughly $1300, versus the Replay at $3000. I'm not
                          > trying to push you into that, but I just realized how neat it is to have
                          > those abilities and at that low a price.
                          >
                          > Let me know if I can be of other help.
                          >
                          > James
                          >
                          >
                          > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Thanks for the thoughts on software alternatives. I have used a
                          > > windows program called SoundByte for a couple of episodes of my
                          > > podcast and it worked ok. That particular program is buggy and poorly
                          > > designed, but it gets the job done.
                          > >
                          > > The reason I was looking for a hardware solution is that the software
                          > > solution requires hooking up the laptop to the mixer. I've tried two
                          > > different types of connecting, a USB sound card and a cable that plugs
                          > > into the laptop headsets. In both cases, it caused significant hum and
                          > > buzz into the mix. Not sure what could be done to eliminate it.
                          > >
                          > > So I thought if there was a cheap hardware solution, I'd go with that.
                          > >
                          > > But I'll continue to look at software solutions too.
                          > >
                          > > Thanks,
                          > > Calvin
                          > >
                          > >
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          > ------------------------------------
                          >
                          > YahooGroups Podcasters Links
                          >
                          > ------------------------------------
                          > Yahoo! Groups Links
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          >


                          --
                          ==========
                          Calvin Powers
                          http://claimid.com/calvin


                          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                        • tapeleg
                          Calvin, I don t know if you found a solution that you liked for a cart machine replacement, but I thought I would throw another solution at you. There are now
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 5, 2011
                          • 0 Attachment
                            Calvin,

                            I don't know if you found a solution that you liked for a cart machine replacement, but I thought I would throw another solution at you.

                            There are now a few sound board programs for the iPad, including Sound Byte. You have to import your audio clips into the program, but once the setup is done, you are good to go. Touch the slot to start, and touch to start.

                            If you don't have an iPad, you can get a 16gb iPad 1 for $299 online when a refurbished one comes up. About $10 in software, and you are all set. You could use the regular audio out, or something like the Alesis IO Dock for more professional audio options, but just using the built in audio will probably be a solid solution.

                            The other great thing about the iPad setup is that you can also use it as a MIDI controller for your audio software (if you are using something more than just Audacity for your editing). An iPad is a lot more versatile than a dedicated playback machine, or midi controller.

                            Just thought you might like to hear about that alternative.


                            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > So I have seen in a few radio studios a piece of equipment which I don't
                            > know what to call.
                            >
                            > It's kind of like a cart machine but it has no physical tapes or anything.
                            > Instead it's basically a box with a bunch of buttons. Apparently you can
                            > load it up with MP3 files, typically bumpers and sound effects and they play
                            > whenever you press the corresponding button. You hook it up to a channel on
                            > your mixing board.
                            >
                            > Are these things also called cart machines? Or is there another term for
                            > them?
                            >
                            > Thanks,
                            > Calvin
                            >
                            > --
                            > ==========
                            > Calvin Powers
                            > http://claimid.com/calvin
                            >
                            >
                            > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                            >
                          • Steve Riekeberg
                            I believe what you re thinking of is an Instant Replay. For what it s worth, the iPad route is probably much more cost effective. Hope this helps, Steve
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 5, 2011
                            • 0 Attachment
                              I believe what you're thinking of is an Instant Replay.

                              For what it's worth, the iPad route is probably much more cost effective.

                              Hope this helps,

                              Steve Riekeberg
                              Podcast Perspective
                              <http://www.podcastperspective.com>


                              On Sep 5, 2011, at 10:30 AM, "tapeleg" <tapeleg@...>
                              wrote:



                              Calvin,

                              I don't know if you found a solution that you liked for a cart machine
                              replacement, but I thought I would throw another solution at you.

                              There are now a few sound board programs for the iPad, including Sound Byte.
                              You have to import your audio clips into the program, but once the setup is
                              done, you are good to go. Touch the slot to start, and touch to start.

                              If you don't have an iPad, you can get a 16gb iPad 1 for $299 online when a
                              refurbished one comes up. About $10 in software, and you are all set. You
                              could use the regular audio out, or something like the Alesis IO Dock for
                              more professional audio options, but just using the built in audio will
                              probably be a solid solution.

                              The other great thing about the iPad setup is that you can also use it as a
                              MIDI controller for your audio software (if you are using something more
                              than just Audacity for your editing). An iPad is a lot more versatile than a
                              dedicated playback machine, or midi controller.

                              Just thought you might like to hear about that alternative.

                              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > So I have seen in a few radio studios a piece of equipment which I don't
                              > know what to call.
                              >
                              > It's kind of like a cart machine but it has no physical tapes or anything.
                              > Instead it's basically a box with a bunch of buttons. Apparently you can
                              > load it up with MP3 files, typically bumpers and sound effects and they
                              play
                              > whenever you press the corresponding button. You hook it up to a channel
                              on
                              > your mixing board.
                              >
                              > Are these things also called cart machines? Or is there another term for
                              > them?
                              >
                              > Thanks,
                              > Calvin
                              >
                              > --
                              > ==========
                              > Calvin Powers
                              > http://claimid.com/calvin
                              >
                              >
                              > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                              >




                              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                            • Calvin Powers
                              Thanks all. I have tried soundbyte for windows XP and it is close to what I need. I find it to be incredibly buggy and completely non-intuitive in its
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 6, 2011
                              • 0 Attachment
                                Thanks all. I have tried soundbyte for windows XP and it is close to what I
                                need. I find it to be incredibly buggy and completely non-intuitive in its
                                interface. But I have managed to convince it to load up sound files and play
                                them on demand when I need them.

                                Thanks all for your good advice.

                                Calvin

                                On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 5:38 PM, Steve Riekeberg
                                <missingintellect@...>wrote:

                                > I believe what you're thinking of is an Instant Replay.
                                >
                                > For what it's worth, the iPad route is probably much more cost effective.
                                >
                                > Hope this helps,
                                >
                                > Steve Riekeberg
                                > Podcast Perspective
                                > <http://www.podcastperspective.com>
                                >
                                >
                                > On Sep 5, 2011, at 10:30 AM, "tapeleg" <tapeleg@...>
                                > wrote:
                                >
                                >
                                >
                                > Calvin,
                                >
                                > I don't know if you found a solution that you liked for a cart machine
                                > replacement, but I thought I would throw another solution at you.
                                >
                                > There are now a few sound board programs for the iPad, including Sound
                                > Byte.
                                > You have to import your audio clips into the program, but once the setup is
                                > done, you are good to go. Touch the slot to start, and touch to start.
                                >
                                > If you don't have an iPad, you can get a 16gb iPad 1 for $299 online when a
                                > refurbished one comes up. About $10 in software, and you are all set. You
                                > could use the regular audio out, or something like the Alesis IO Dock for
                                > more professional audio options, but just using the built in audio will
                                > probably be a solid solution.
                                >
                                > The other great thing about the iPad setup is that you can also use it as a
                                > MIDI controller for your audio software (if you are using something more
                                > than just Audacity for your editing). An iPad is a lot more versatile than
                                > a
                                > dedicated playback machine, or midi controller.
                                >
                                > Just thought you might like to hear about that alternative.
                                >
                                > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > So I have seen in a few radio studios a piece of equipment which I don't
                                > > know what to call.
                                > >
                                > > It's kind of like a cart machine but it has no physical tapes or
                                > anything.
                                > > Instead it's basically a box with a bunch of buttons. Apparently you can
                                > > load it up with MP3 files, typically bumpers and sound effects and they
                                > play
                                > > whenever you press the corresponding button. You hook it up to a channel
                                > on
                                > > your mixing board.
                                > >
                                > > Are these things also called cart machines? Or is there another term for
                                > > them?
                                > >
                                > > Thanks,
                                > > Calvin
                                > >
                                > > --
                                > > ==========
                                > > Calvin Powers
                                > > http://claimid.com/calvin
                                > >
                                > >
                                > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                                > >
                                >
                                >
                                >
                                >
                                > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                                >
                                >
                                >
                                > ------------------------------------
                                >
                                > YahooGroups Podcasters Links
                                >
                                > ------------------------------------
                                > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                >
                                >
                                >
                                >


                                --
                                ==========
                                Calvin Powers
                                http://claimid.com/calvin


                                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                              • Steve Sergeant
                                You re referring to a product that has been copied more recently, but was originally introduced by a company called 360 Systems as part of a product line
                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 6, 2011
                                • 0 Attachment
                                  You're referring to a product that has been copied more recently, but
                                  was originally introduced by a company called "360 Systems" as part of a
                                  product line called "DigiCart".

                                  See [ http://www.360systems.com/products_audio.html ].

                                  Their current product of this type, "Instant Replay 2" started out as a
                                  control panel for a separate audio server. Now they've fit the whole
                                  thing into the panel.

                                  Here's where you can buy one new: [
                                  http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=DR600 ]

                                  Typically one loads it up with uncompressed audio files.


                                  On 3/7/11 15:48 PM, Calvin Powers wrote:
                                  > So I have seen in a few radio studios a piece of equipment which I don't
                                  > know what to call.
                                  >
                                  > It's kind of like a cart machine but it has no physical tapes or anything.
                                  > Instead it's basically a box with a bunch of buttons. Apparently you can
                                  > load it up with MP3 files, typically bumpers and sound effects and they play
                                  > whenever you press the corresponding button. You hook it up to a channel on
                                  > your mixing board.
                                  >
                                  > Are these things also called cart machines? Or is there another term for
                                  > them?
                                  >
                                  > Thanks,
                                  > Calvin
                                  >
                                  \
                                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.