Digital recorders!

  • rockonfootball
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 7, 2011
      We were looking to do some podcasts at different locations and we're looking at digital recorders. Any tips on what is the best buy? We'd like to get a quality one for future purposes.
    • Douglas E. Welch
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 7, 2011
        My typical recommendations for higher end recording are:

        Zoom H2/Zoom H4
        Edirol R-09

        *DEW*
        *
        *
        *--*
        *Douglas E. Welch*
        *"Helping with all your technology and New Media needs"*
        Web: http://DouglasEWelch.com -- Email: me@...

        Find career opportunities from around the US at jobs.welchwrite.com

        On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 11:28 AM, rockonfootball <rockonfootball@...>wrote:

        > We were looking to do some podcasts at different locations and we're
        > looking at digital recorders. Any tips on what is the best buy? We'd like to
        > get a quality one for future purposes.

      • Richard Amirault
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 7, 2011
          From: "rockonfootball"

          > We were looking to do some podcasts at different locations and we're
          > looking at digital recorders. Any tips on what is the best buy? We'd
          > like to get a quality one for future purposes.

          Depending on your needs ... the Zoom H-1 would be good .. but if you need to
          use XLR mics it may not.

          Richard Amirault
          Boston, MA, USA
          http://n1jdu.org
          http://bostonfandom.org
        • Dan Hughes
          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 7, 2011
            Are you doing voice only, or music too? In a sheltered environment? Will
            people be watching? (That is, do you want to present a professional image,
            or do you just want to get the sound recorded.)

            ---Dan

            --
            Best,

            ---Dan
            http://danhughes.net
            http://danhughesbooks.com
            http://thetreasurecorner.com
            http://thesoftballcorner.com
            http://radiofun.info

          • Tony Melton
            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 7, 2011
              People will be watching, but it will just be audio.  It would be cool to present
              a professional image.
              Good questions!

              WWW.ROCKONFOOTBALL.COM = The #1 Ranked Christian Fantasy Football Podcast!

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 7, 2011
                OK, I'm gonna sound like a moron, but what is an XLR mic?  We just need
                something that we can record on and then feed it into a computer later.

                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 7, 2011
                  Thanks Douglas!  That's the one we were looking at.
                  Is the Zoom pretty easy to use as far as transferring the audio?

                  Find career opportunities from around the US at jobs.welchwrite.com

                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 7, 2011
                    One last question I forgot to ask first time around (sorry!) - How many
                    people will be talking?

                    ---D

                    On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 3:41 PM, Tony Melton <rockonfootball@...>wrote:

                    > People will be watching, but it will just be audio. It would be cool to
                    > present
                    > a professional image.
                    > Good questions!
                    >
                    > WWW.ROCKONFOOTBALL.COM = The #1 Ranked Christian Fantasy Football Podcast!
                    >
                    > ________________________________

                  • Ben Straw
                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 7, 2011
                      I wrote a review on the Zoom H1 on my blog. Check it out
                      http://www.how2podcast.com/articles/hardware/review-zoom-h1-handy-portable-digital-recorder/

                      Benjamin Straw
                      P: 1-304-449-4335
                      Skype: n3bb3n
                      Twitter: Twitter.com/nebben
                      Want to Learn About Podcasting? - http://How2Podcast.com

                      ________________________________
                      > We were looking to do some podcasts at different locations and we're
                      > looking at digital recorders. Any tips on what is the best buy? We'd
                      > like to get a quality one for future purposes.

                      Depending on your needs ... the Zoom H-1 would be good .. but if you need to
                      use XLR mics it may not.

                      Richard Amirault
                      Boston, MA, USA
                      http://n1jdu.org
                      http://bostonfandom.org

                    • Mike S
                      Message 10 of 29 , Mar 7, 2011
                        >OK, I'm gonna sound like a moron, but what is an XLR mic? We just need
                        >something that we can record on and then feed it into a computer later.

                        It's relatively Common Connector, like the "phone" and 3.5mm jacks.

                        The XLR 3 Pin is often used for Mic leads. They're are used with leads usually made to prevent some outside inferance, which you don't want. (Have you heard a dialing Cell Phone "bib-bib-biip" coming out your hi-fi speakers or head phones? It tries to prevents that.)

                        Many Pro Mics and Sound Recording/Mixing Devices use them, it's been around for YEARs. Most Music stores that deal with electric leads..

                        I've seen them on some 3rd Party Mics for a console Singing Game (But I doubt the lead uses the protection).

                        Wikipedia:
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XLR_connector
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS_connector (aka Jacks)

                        Mike Sharpe,
                        Writer.
                        www.MikeSharpeWriter.com
                      • Calvin Powers
                        Message 11 of 29 , Mar 7, 2011
                          I have owned an Edirol R-09 and currently own a Zoom H4N. I can recommend
                          both. I loved my Edirol. It is rugged and simple and smaller than the
                          Edirol. I think it's cheaper too. But I dropped it on the concrete one too
                          many times and broke it. (Note: This should in no way be interpreted as the
                          Edirol being flimsy. It's not. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.).

                          The Zoom H4n is what i currently use and I love it. I use both in the studio
                          and in field situations. It's too big to be a shirt pocket recorder. But It
                          has lots of recording options and captures good sound quality. I like it
                          because it has XLR inputs which is useful in studio and it has a built in
                          compressor which seems to be very good, at least for vocal work.

                          Message 12 of 29 , Mar 8, 2011
                            thanks Calvin!  So, you use the Zoom for everything - interesting!

                            Message 13 of 29 , Mar 8, 2011
                              Thanks Ben, I'll go check that out right now!

                              Message 14 of 29 , Mar 8, 2011
                                Two people talking for the most part.

                                Message 15 of 29 , Mar 8, 2011
                                  Okay, Tony, with two people talking, you need two mics. I would do it in
                                  one of two ways:

                                  1. I'd use a small mixer:

                                  Mackie 402-VLZ3 - *http://tinyurl.com/4rk9yov *- or

                                  Behringer Xenyx 802 - *http://tinyurl.com/4ug2ggw*

                                  with the output going into a small recorder, like the

                                  Olympus WS-321M or WS-311M (no longer made, but always available on eBay - *
                                  http://tinyurl.com/4o6k3rx *

                                  Or that Zoom H1.

                                  Or 2.

                                  I'd use a y-connector mic cable that has two mic jacks going into a stereo
                                  miniplug, which goes into the recorder and gives you two separate tracks for
                                  the two voices. No mixer needed, but it looks a little funky.

                                  This is the setup I used - two mics into one Olympus recorder, no mixer on
                                  site - to record an Old-time radio performance, and it went off great. I'll
                                  try to post a photo later if I can find one.

                                  ---Dan

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Mar 8, 2011
                                    From: "Dan Hughes"

                                    > Okay, Tony, with two people talking, you need two mics. I would do it in
                                    > one of two ways:

                                    Not necessarlily. With something like the Zoom H-1 you could hand hold it
                                    "sideways" between two people and the mics will point to each person. This
                                    assumes that the two people are facing each other.

                                    Ideally, yes, two seperate mics would be better.

                                    Richard Amirault
                                    Boston, MA, USA
                                    http://n1jdu.org
                                    http://bostonfandom.org
                                  • P.D. Love
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Mar 8, 2011
                                      The Zoom H4 works for me - lots of options for input (as mentioned above)
                                      and the built-in mic works well (need the foam cover for outdoors to block
                                      the wind- makes a world of difference).

                                      Easy to pop out the SD card and transfer the files.

                                      There's my 2 cents

                                      P.D.

                                      On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 8:31 AM, Richard Amirault <ramirault@...>wrote:

> [...]

                                      P.D. Love
                                      The DaddyCast - http://www.TheDaddyCast.com
                                      LoveHouse Radio- http://lovehouseradio.com

                                    • Dan Hughes
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Mar 8, 2011
                                        Richard answers:

                                        > > Okay, Tony, with two people talking, you need two mics.

                                        With:

                                        > Not necessarily. With something like the Zoom H-1 you could hand hold it
                                        > "sideways" between two people and the mics will point to each person. This
                                        > assumes that the two people are facing each other.

                                        Richard, I was assuming two mics because he said he wanted it to look
                                        somewhat professional. Even though two people talking into either side of
                                        an H1 could work well, it would look pretty flaky, I think.

                                        ---Dan

                                      • savoiacomputer
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Mar 8, 2011
                                          I just switched over to the Zoom R24 digital recorder. It's versatile enough for studio recording yet portable enough to go out in the field.

                                          http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=2054

                                          It has a clean sound, runs on AC or six AA batteries and features up to six channels of phantom power. You can even chain two of them together with a USB cable to double the number of channels.

                                          It's made for musicians but perfect for podcasters.

                                          Rick Savoia
                                          The Force Field podcast for IT Service Professionals
                                          www.theforcefield.net

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Mar 8, 2011
                                            Rick,

                                            I just checked out your link - that thing is incredible!  Someday, someday!

                                            WWW.ROCKONFOOTBALL.COM = The #1 Ranked Christian Fantasy Football Podcast!

                                            ________________________________
                                            I just switched over to the Zoom R24 digital recorder. It's versatile enough for
                                            studio recording yet portable enough to go out in the field.

                                            http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=2054

                                            It has a clean sound, runs on AC or six AA batteries and features up to six
                                            channels of phantom power. You can even chain two of them together with a USB
                                            cable to double the number of channels.

                                            It's made for musicians but perfect for podcasters.

                                            Rick Savoia
                                            The Force Field podcast for IT Service Professionals
                                            www.theforcefield.net

                                            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "rockonfootball" <rockonfootball@...> wrote:

                                            > We were looking to do some podcasts at different locations and we're looking at
                                            >digital recorders. Any tips on what is the best buy? We'd like to get a quality
                                            >one for future purposes.

                                          • Tony Melton
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Mar 8, 2011
                                              I guess we need to think about how important the look is to us.
                                              Thanks for putting that into the thought process.

                                              Tony

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Mar 8, 2011
                                                Thanks P.D. !
                                                And thanks for the tip on the foam cover, haven't heard that yet!

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Mar 8, 2011
                                                  Dan,

                                                  I like that y-connector into a stereo miniplug idea - I'd love to see a picture
                                                  of what that looked like.

                                                  Thanks,
                                                  tony

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Mar 8, 2011
                                                    Tony, here ya go:

                                                    http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=CYX-405F

                                                    They make them with longer cables, but I didn't take the time to find one.
                                                    With this one, you need to add a short mic cable for each mic.

                                                    When you plug the jack into your digital recorder mic input jack, each mic
                                                    will record in a separate channel so you have one voice in left and one in
                                                    right. If the levels are mismatched, it is easy to raise or lower one
                                                    channel in post-production.

                                                    AND, you can edit each channel separately, so if one guy coughs while the
                                                    other guy is talking, you can take out the cough from the cougher's mic
                                                    channel while leaving the voice in the other channel.

                                                    ---Dan

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Mar 8, 2011
                                                      Tony, I just noticed that this one is 5 feet - that's 2 1/2 feet for each
                                                      cable. May be long enough without extra mic cable (or may not be).

                                                      ---Dan

                                                      On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 11:01 PM, Dan Hughes <danhughesmail@...> wrote:

                                                      > Tony, here ya go:
                                                      >
                                                      > http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=CYX-405F
                                                      >
                                                      > They make them with longer cables, but I didn't take the time to find one.
                                                      > With this one, you need to add a short mic cable for each mic.
                                                      >
                                                      > When you plug the jack into your digital recorder mic input jack, each mic
                                                      > will record in a separate channel so you have one voice in left and one in
                                                      > right. If the levels are mismatched, it is easy to raise or lower one
                                                      > channel in post-production.
                                                      >
                                                      > AND, you can edit each channel separately, so if one guy coughs while the
                                                      > other guy is talking, you can take out the cough from the cougher's mic
                                                      > channel while leaving the voice in the other channel.
                                                      >
                                                      > ---Dan

                                                    • Dan Hughes
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Mar 8, 2011
                                                        Tony, here is a photo of my setup. This particular Y-connector has 1/4-inch
                                                        mono jacks instead of XLR jacks, but you can see how it works. It is
                                                        plugged into my Olympus WS-311M digital recorder, which I truly love.

                                                        ---Dan

                                                        On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 8:39 PM, Tony Melton <rockonfootball@...>wrote:

                                                        > Dan,
                                                        >
                                                        > I like that y-connector into a stereo miniplug idea - I'd love to see a
                                                        > picture
                                                        > of what that looked like.
                                                        >
                                                        > Thanks,
                                                        > tony

                                                      • rockonfootball
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Mar 9, 2011
                                                          Dan,
                                                          I couldn't see the picture. Can you email it to me at this address?

                                                          Thanks,
                                                          Tony

                                                          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Dan Hughes <danhughesmail@...> wrote:

                                                          > Tony, here is a photo of my setup. This particular Y-connector has 1/4-inch
                                                          > mono jacks instead of XLR jacks, but you can see how it works. It is
                                                          > plugged into my Olympus WS-311M digital recorder, which I truly love.
                                                          >
                                                          > ---Dan
                                                          >
                                                          > On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 8:39 PM, Tony Melton <rockonfootball@...>wrote:
                                                          >

                                                          > > Dan,
                                                          > >
                                                          > > I like that y-connector into a stereo miniplug idea - I'd love to see a
                                                          > > picture
                                                          > > of what that looked like.
                                                          > >
                                                          > > Thanks,
                                                          > > tony

                                                        • Dan Hughes
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Mar 9, 2011
                                                            Tony, and anybody else, I just put up a web page explaining how to record a
                                                            two-mic, on-location podcast with a digital recorder and a Y-connector.
                                                            Here it is:

                                                            http://danhughes.net/podcasting/2micsetup.htm

                                                            On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 12:28 PM, rockonfootball <rockonfootball@...>wrote:

                                                            > Dan,
                                                            > I couldn't see the picture. Can you email it to me at this address?
                                                            >
                                                            > Thanks,
                                                            > Tony

                                                            <http://radiofun.info>

                                                          • tapeleg
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Mar 11, 2011
                                                              For what it's worth, I've been happily using a Zoom H4 recorder, and two Rode NTG1 microphones with Popless pop filters to record one on one podcast interviews. The H4 isn't know from having the best mic preamps in the world, but they have plenty of gain for the shotgun mics. Also, the shotgun mics allow the person I'm talking to to sit a little further from the mic and still pick them up well. I like the rig, and it is really small. You can hear it here:

                                                              http://www.rinkpodcast.com/2010/08/the-rink-episode-64-part-2-classic-all-over/

                                                              We recorded in an apartment, and I have windows behind me, and the other mic has a wall behind it, so there are a few reflections I wish weren't there, but the quality was pretty good, I thought. If I had to do it over again, I would have positioned my mic differently, but that's about it.

                                                              http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=NTG1

                                                              http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=VACS3.5