Problem with date on iTunes podcast

  • marcbelanger16
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2011
      Hello all,

      I have a podcasting problem that's driving me crazy. Can't find a solution anywhere. And a member of this group recommended that I post my question here. Thanks for any help you can provide.

      Here's the problem:

      I do a podcast called RadioLabour (www.radiolabour.net)

      When I create an rss file so that the podcast will be updated for iTunes . . . the file in iTunes displays the date *as the day before*. Always.

      For example: I uploaded my rss file today with the date March 2, 2011. ( 02/03/2011 ) This is the date both in the rss code and the date of the file on the computer.

      But the file shows on iTunes as March 1, 2011 ( 01/03/2011 )

      This makes it difficult for people to find the correct podcast.

      Any ideas?

      Marc
      ___________________
    • Douglas E. Welch
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2011
        Not sure where you are located, but this has all the markings of a time zone
        issue. It is very likely that it is March 2 where you are and March 1 where
        the Apple server is located.

        I would recommend placing the date in the Title of each episode, as that
        will be hard coded and never change, not matter what date the server might
        think it is.

        I would also suggest adding the title of each show to the title of the MP3
        to give people a bit more information when looking at your list of past and
        current shows.

        i.e. *Feb 28, 2011 - Special report on the fight for union rights in
        Wisconsin, USA*
        *
        *
        I think this will alleviate the confusion about the dates and also let
        people know exactly what episode they are listening to.

        I hope this helps.
        *
        *
        *DEW*
        *
        *
        *--*
        *Douglas E. Welch*
        *"Helping with all your technology and New Media needs"*
        Web: http://DouglasEWelch.com -- Email: me@...

        Find career opportunities from around the US at jobs.welchwrite.com

        On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 1:41 PM, marcbelanger16
        <m.belanger@...>wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > I have a podcasting problem that's driving me crazy. Can't find a solution
        > anywhere. And a member of this group recommended that I post my question
        > here. Thanks for any help you can provide.
        >
        > Here's the problem:
        >
        > I do a podcast called RadioLabour (www.radiolabour.net)
        >
        > When I create an rss file so that the podcast will be updated for iTunes .
        > . . the file in iTunes displays the date *as the day before*. Always.
        >
        > For example: I uploaded my rss file today with the date March 2, 2011. (
        > 02/03/2011 ) This is the date both in the rss code and the date of the file
        > on the computer.
        >
        > But the file shows on iTunes as March 1, 2011 ( 01/03/2011 )
        >
        > This makes it difficult for people to find the correct podcast.
        >
        > Any ideas?
        >
        > Marc
      • Ben Straw
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2011
          From the looks of it your feed isnt valid.
          Check it out for your self:
          http://validator.w3.org/feed/check.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.radiolabour.net%2Fradiolabour-rss.xml>

          Benjamin Straw - http://Qetuo.me
          P: 1-304-449-4335
          Skype: n3bb3n
          Twitter: Twitter.com/nebben
          Want to Learn About Podcasting? - http://How2Podcast.com

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 3, 2011
            Ben and Douglas:

            Thank you very much for the advice. My problem's now solved. I should have asked you long ago! :)

            The date is still a day behind (despite the fact that I'm North America, Toronto, to be specfic). But the idea of adding the title fixes the problem. Thanks Douglas.

            Still, it looks like I've got problems with the feed according to the validator. Gives me something to work on. Thank you Ben.

            Marc

            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Ben Straw <Nebula1183@...> wrote:

            > From the looks of it your feed isnt valid.
            > Check it out for your self:
            > http://validator.w3.org/feed/check.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.radiolabour.net%2Fradiolabour-rss.xml>
            >

            > Benjamin Straw - http://Qetuo.me
            > P: 1-304-449-4335
            > Skype: n3bb3n
            > Twitter: Twitter.com/nebben
            > Want to Learn About Podcasting? - http://How2Podcast.com
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Douglas E. Welch
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 3, 2011
              Glad it helped.

              The pubDate looks like it is missing the Year, which might make the
              validator complain.

              Should be in this form: <pubdate>Fri, 24 Jan 2003 12:38:45 PST</pubdate>
              *
              *
              *Maybe that will clean things up.*
              *