Helping to spread the word

  • Geek -
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 24, 2011
      Hello everyone,

      On the first of January this year, I launched my production company,
      Dawnforge Productions(thedawnforge.com). I brought my two existing
      shows, All Things Azeroth and Group Quest, under that banner to bring
      unity to the shows I do. Since then we have launched a new show, a
      weekly music show playing great podsafe music, and brought in a third
      World of Warcraft show, Obscurecast, to round out the Warcraft side of
      the network. We have a few new shows in the works right now, but while
      those get ironed out I am trying to build audiences for the current
      shows that are not where I'd like them to be.

      I have added the shows to most of the bigger podcast directories, and
      of course all of them are on iTunes. The shows I am really trying to
      build up right now are Group Quest(thegroupquest.com), a weekly round
      table World of Warcraft podcast, Halfway Around the
      World(halfway.dawnforgeshows.com), a weekly podsafe music show hosted
      by Jen of Inside my Head and Gemini Dragon, and Colin of the
      Ourobouros Podcast, and lastly we have Obscurecast(Obscurecast.com), a
      UK based World of Warcraft podcast hosted by Gazimoff and Pewter.

      I was hoping some folks here might have some ideas on what directories
      or resources I can use to get these shows more widely known around the
      net. I am working on promos for the shows, but not sure what music
      shows play Promos, though I have the Warcraft shows lined up.

      Dwight Wallbridge,
      Blogger, Photographer, Geek, @medros

      All Things Azeroth http://www.allthingsazeroth.com/
      The Geek's Blog http://www.thegeeksblog.com/
      Dwight Wallbridge Photography http://www.dwightwallbridge.com/Photo/
    • Michael Sitarzewski
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 24, 2011
        This is a really, really important subject. I'm anxiously awaiting the replies.

        On Feb 24, 2011, at 11:39 AM, Geek - wrote:

        > Hello everyone,
        >
        > On the first of January this year, I launched my production company,
        > Dawnforge Productions(thedawnforge.com). I brought my two existing
        > shows, All Things Azeroth and Group Quest, under that banner to bring
        > unity to the shows I do. Since then we have launched a new show, a
        > weekly music show playing great podsafe music, and brought in a third
        > World of Warcraft show, Obscurecast, to round out the Warcraft side of
        > the network. We have a few new shows in the works right now, but while
        > those get ironed out I am trying to build audiences for the current
        > shows that are not where I'd like them to be.
        >
        > I have added the shows to most of the bigger podcast directories, and
        > of course all of them are on iTunes. The shows I am really trying to
        > build up right now are Group Quest(thegroupquest.com), a weekly round
        > table World of Warcraft podcast, Halfway Around the
        > World(halfway.dawnforgeshows.com), a weekly podsafe music show hosted
        > by Jen of Inside my Head and Gemini Dragon, and Colin of the
        > Ourobouros Podcast, and lastly we have Obscurecast(Obscurecast.com), a
        > UK based World of Warcraft podcast hosted by Gazimoff and Pewter.
        >
        > I was hoping some folks here might have some ideas on what directories
        > or resources I can use to get these shows more widely known around the
        > net. I am working on promos for the shows, but not sure what music
        > shows play Promos, though I have the Warcraft shows lined up.
        >
        > Dwight Wallbridge,
        > Blogger, Photographer, Geek, @medros
        >
        > All Things Azeroth http://www.allthingsazeroth.com/
        > The Geek's Blog http://www.thegeeksblog.com/
        > Dwight Wallbridge Photography http://www.dwightwallbridge.com/Photo/

      • ZakRhyno
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 24, 2011
          Heya Medros! :D

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 25, 2011
            I would love to know how much "market share," so to speak, the different
            directories have in terms of how many downloads they generate relative to
            the overall number of podcast downloads. But I have seen not credible data
            on that.

            I use feedburner as a front end for my podcast feed and due to historical
            issues and mess, I actually have two. One feedburner feed is used strictly
            for the iTunes feed and the other feed is used for all other directories. I
            haven't crunched the numbers, but I'm guessing 85% of traffic from
            directories/RSS Feeds comes from iTunes. All the others (Zune, Blackberry,
            Podcast Pickle, etc etc) make up about the other 15%. That's just a
            guesstimate.

            One thing that has really surprised me is how many people listen to my
            podcast just by visiting the show page on my blog and clicking the flash
            player. Again, I don't have hard numbers, but I'm guessing that at least
            half, maybe two thirds of my total downloads are from the show page itself.
            When I publish an episode, I promote the show page heavily. I send the link
            to it around to a few mailing lists etc etc to announce the episode. So
            that's why so many people listen to it that way.

            I try to promote subscribing to the RSS feed in iTunes or the other
            directories, but so far I have not been very successful in converting show
            page visitors to subscribers.

            To see an example of my show page.

            Taproot Radio Podcast #26 - Paul Thorn
            <http://www.taprootradio.com/2011/02/trp26-paul-thorn-interview-and-music.html>
            Taproot Radio Podcast #27 - Paradise of Bachelors
            <http://www.taprootradio.com/2011/02/trp27-paradise-of-bachelors.html>

            One of my concerns is how mobile browsers can deal with podcast downloads.
            Because the apple hone does not support flash, people who come to a show
            page cannot listen to the episode via the flash player in the page. So I
            have just a regular link to the MP3 file people can click. The link is right
            under the flash player but it is not very prominent. I also add the episode
            as an enclosure link for the post. That shows up when people read the site
            blog in an RSS reader. That helps a little.

            Anyone else have data they can share in terms of web page downloads vs
            subscriptions and which directories generate the most downloads?

            Is it possible to use the "user agent" field in web logs to get a breakdown
            of where the most downloads are coming from?

            Calvin

            On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 1:39 PM, Geek - <cdngeek@...> wrote:

            > Hello everyone,
            >
            > On the first of January this year, I launched my production company,
            > Dawnforge Productions(thedawnforge.com). I brought my two existing
            > shows, All Things Azeroth and Group Quest, under that banner to bring
            > unity to the shows I do. Since then we have launched a new show, a
            > weekly music show playing great podsafe music, and brought in a third
            > World of Warcraft show, Obscurecast, to round out the Warcraft side of
            > the network. We have a few new shows in the works right now, but while
            > those get ironed out I am trying to build audiences for the current
            > shows that are not where I'd like them to be.
            >
            > I have added the shows to most of the bigger podcast directories, and
            > of course all of them are on iTunes. The shows I am really trying to
            > build up right now are Group Quest(thegroupquest.com), a weekly round
            > table World of Warcraft podcast, Halfway Around the
            > World(halfway.dawnforgeshows.com), a weekly podsafe music show hosted
            > by Jen of Inside my Head and Gemini Dragon, and Colin of the
            > Ourobouros Podcast, and lastly we have Obscurecast(Obscurecast.com), a
            > UK based World of Warcraft podcast hosted by Gazimoff and Pewter.
            >
            > I was hoping some folks here might have some ideas on what directories
            > or resources I can use to get these shows more widely known around the
            > net. I am working on promos for the shows, but not sure what music
            > shows play Promos, though I have the Warcraft shows lined up.
            >

            > Dwight Wallbridge,
            > Blogger, Photographer, Geek, @medros
            >
            > All Things Azeroth http://www.allthingsazeroth.com/
            > The Geek's Blog http://www.thegeeksblog.com/
            > Dwight Wallbridge Photography http://www.dwightwallbridge.com/Photo/

          • brad grochowski
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 25, 2011
              "One of my concerns is how mobile browsers can deal with podcast downloads.
              Because the apple hone does not support flash, people who come to a
              show page cannot listen to the episode via the flash player in the page. So
              I have just a regular link to the MP3 file people can click. The link is
              right under the flash player but it is not very prominent."

              This works for me. I have an iPhone, and I am USED to flash players not
              showing up... so it's great that you have a direct link as an alternative.
              When I look at it on my phone it's very clear what I should do to get to
              listen.

              I am using facebook with the Blubrry PowerPress plugin for my show. It uses
              a flash player unless the browser doesn't support flash, in which case it
              automagically replaces the player with a link.

              --
              Brad Grochowski
              The IndieBookMan

              Read the IndieBookMan Blog: http://www.indiebookman.com
              Listen to The IndieBookMan Show - http://www.indiebookman.com/TheShow

              On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > shows that are not where I'd like them to be.
              > >
              > > I have added the shows to most of the bigger podcast directories, and
              > > of course all of them are on iTunes. The shows I am really trying to
              > > build up right now are Group Quest(thegroupquest.com), a weekly round
              > > table World of Warcraft podcast, Halfway Around the
              > > World(halfway.dawnforgeshows.com), a weekly podsafe music show hosted
              > > by Jen of Inside my Head and Gemini Dragon, and Colin of the
              > > Ourobouros Podcast, and lastly we have Obscurecast(Obscurecast.com), a
              > > UK based World of Warcraft podcast hosted by Gazimoff and Pewter.
              > >
              > > I was hoping some folks here might have some ideas on what directories
              > > or resources I can use to get these shows more widely known around the
              > > net. I am working on promos for the shows, but not sure what music
              > > shows play Promos, though I have the Warcraft shows lined up.

            • Dan Hughes
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 25, 2011
                On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 9:59 AM, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:

                > I would love to know how much "market share," so to speak, the different
                > directories have in terms of how many downloads they generate relative tothe
                > overall number of podcast downloads. But I have seen not credi ble dataon
                > that.

                Calvin, I don't think it's that simple. The access methods vary
                tremendously, depending on your podcast subject. I do three podcasts, and I
                doubt that any of my listeners have ever seen a podcast directory.

                My shows are on treasure hunting, adult slowpitch softball, and old-time
                radio. My listeners are outdoorsmen, athletes, and senior citizens. They
                find my show because I post on message boards and forums dedicated to those
                subjects. My sig line has a link to my podcast, and that is where I get
                virtually all my listeners.

                Podcasts about podcasting, video games, technology, etc, are found by people
                cruising the podcast directories, but not mine. Maybe not yours, either.

                ---Dan, http://danhughes.net

              • Kevin Bachelder
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 25, 2011
                  I don't have any hard numbers either but I agree with a lot of what Dan said.

                  A few years ago podcasting directories did bring in some listeners for
                  my podcasts but not so much anymore. People now seem more likely to
                  do simple Google searches or look for iTunes recommendations of
                  similar podcasts when they do iTunes searches. All simple word of
                  mouth works very well. I'm involved in many online communities for
                  the topics I cover and my email signature and my forum signatures
                  include links to my podcasts which brings in folks.

                  I also agree that having a nice flash web player on your website/blog
                  is very important since many of our listeners say they listen while at
                  work so they simply stream the episodes that way.

                  Good luck,

                  Kevin

                  -----

                  Fan of Science Fiction or Fantasy?
                  Then you might enjoy listening to these podcasts...

                  Tuning In To Scifi TV (covering all genre shows)
                  http://www.tuningintoscifitv.com

                  The Seeker Cast (Legend of the Seeker)
                  http://www.theseekercast.com