Hellos and Questions! :D

  • zakrhyno
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 3, 2011
      Hello everybody I'm new here to the group and thought first off saying hello to all and hope all of you are doing well. Well I been listen to podcast via iTunes for a few months and well got the itch to try and do one myself. I spoken to a few friends and they like the idea, but they mostly just want to talk on it and not do the work behind editing and stuff. Not really a problem tho. But that where a few of my questions come in. I been looking around and can't really find an answer to my question on the net and even via Google. *gasp!* :P So I add my questions below and maybe someone can give me a hand.

      1. I want to do a podcast but I'm trying to find a all in one software that allow me to record, mix, upload and RSS feed, the finish podcast to the server. I do know Audacity but it don't really do everything I want it to do, (sort of). So I'm okay to give some funds up to by the software.

      2. The main communications I will be using is Skype, so I was trying to play music during the recording but have yet to find and type software that will do it. Now I do have just my on board sound card and willing to get buy a sound card for it but, have yet not found any software that allows me to do that while recording and the other people on Skype can hear to.
      There are the first problems I have came across and trying to find answers to.

      Thanks a bunch! :D
    • Dan Hughes
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 3, 2011
        Here is some great information for newcomers to podcasting:

        http://imake.libsyn.com/podcast-podcasting-starter-kit-for-absolute-newbies

        ---Dan

        On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 12:28 PM, zakrhyno <zakrhyno@...> wrote:

        > Hello everybody I'm new here to the group and thought first off saying
        > hello to all and hope all of you are doing well. Well I been listen to
        > podcast via iTunes for a few months and well got the itch to try and do one
        > myself. I spoken to a few friends and they like the idea, but they mostly
        > just want to talk on it and not do the work behind editing and stuff. Not
        > really a problem tho. But that where a few of my questions come in. I been
        > looking around and can't really find an answer to my question on the net and
        > even via Google. *gasp!* :P So I add my questions below and maybe someone
        > can give me a hand.

      • zakrhyno
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 3, 2011
          Most of what their talking about is things I know. There answers are also to things I'm a know about. But they really don't answer the two questions I post below, mostly towards software I'm looking for. Please refer back to my main email for the questions.

          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Dan Hughes <danhughesmail@...> wrote:

          > Here is some great information for newcomers to podcasting:
          >
          > http://imake.libsyn.com/podcast-podcasting-starter-kit-for-absolute-newbies
          >
          > ---Dan
          >
          > On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 12:28 PM, zakrhyno <zakrhyno@...> wrote:
          >

          > > Hello everybody I'm new here to the group and thought first off saying
          > > hello to all and hope all of you are doing well. Well I been listen to
          > > podcast via iTunes for a few months and well got the itch to try and do one
          > > myself. I spoken to a few friends and they like the idea, but they mostly
          > > just want to talk on it and not do the work behind editing and stuff. Not
          > > really a problem tho. But that where a few of my questions come in. I been
          > > looking around and can't really find an answer to my question on the net and
          > > even via Google. *gasp!* :P So I add my questions below and maybe someone
          > > can give me a hand.

        • Calvin Powers
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 4, 2011
            Skype is heavily optimized for voice. Every time I have tried to play music
            into a skype conference call, it sounded crappy and was not anywhere near
            the quality level you would need for a podcast show. If anyone has guidance
            on how to do it, I'd be happy to be proven wrong. But that's been my
            experience.

            If you want to mix music and a skype conversation into one podcast, I think
            you'll need to either route both into a software mixer like audacity or
            route them to an external mixing board.

            I have also used Total Recorder <http://www.highcriteria.com/> from high
            Criteria to record skype calls to a wav file and then edited the wav file in
            audacity. One thing I like about it is its ability to put your local audio
            that's going into skype into the left channel of the recording and the
            voices coming from the skype connection into the right channel. This makes
            it easy to split the audio into two separate tracks and adjust their levels
            independently.

            Calvin

            On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 11:18 PM, zakrhyno <zakrhyno@...> wrote:

            > Most of what their talking about is things I know. There answers are also
            > to things I'm a know about. But they really don't answer the two questions I
            > post below, mostly towards software I'm looking for. Please refer back to my
            > main email for the questions.
            >

            > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Dan Hughes <danhughesmail@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Here is some great information for newcomers to podcasting:
            > >

            > http://imake.libsyn.com/podcast-podcasting-starter-kit-for-absolute-newbies
            > >
            > > ---Dan
            > >
            > > On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 12:28 PM, zakrhyno <zakrhyno@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > > Hello everybody I'm new here to the group and thought first off saying
            > > > hello to all and hope all of you are doing well. Well I been listen to
            > > > podcast via iTunes for a few months and well got the itch to try and do
            > one
            > > > myself. I spoken to a few friends and they like the idea, but they
            > mostly
            > > > just want to talk on it and not do the work behind editing and stuff.
            > Not
            > > > really a problem tho. But that where a few of my questions come in. I
            > been
            > > > looking around and can't really find an answer to my question on the
            > net and
            > > > even via Google. *gasp!* :P So I add my questions below and maybe
            > someone
            > > > can give me a hand.

          • Michael Sitarzewski
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 4, 2011
              Also, if you have a Mac, you can use GarageBand and something like WireTap Anywhere to grab the audio from Skype and route it to a channel in GarageBand.

            • David Jackson
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 4, 2011
                You had mentioned you wanted an all in one solution for recording/rss, etc.
                I wouldn't do that (if it breaks, everything goes down). Record in Audacity,
                Use Wordpress/Feedburner for your RSS, and Libsyn or Blubrry.com for your
                media hosting (I use Libsyn). As for Recording Skype, I use an external
                recorder and take it right out of my computer (see youtube
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsAUgApgs6s ). For mixing in music, plug your
                ipod or CD player into an external mixer if you're going to mix it live. If
                not you can add it in post.

                Let me know if you need more help. I can do it for you, or point you towards
                tutorials that walk you through the whole process.

                Dave Jackson
                Personal Podcast Coach
                www.schoolofpodcasting.com

              • Zak Rhyno
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 4, 2011
                  So I will need a mixer of some type. Is there a way to have it as a digital
                  mixer and not a device you have to have extra, meaning it all on the
                  computer.?

                  On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 10:54 AM, David Jackson <jammindave@...> wrote:

                  > You had mentioned you wanted an all in one solution for recording/rss, etc.
                  > I wouldn't do that (if it breaks, everything goes down). Record in
                  > Audacity,
                  > Use Wordpress/Feedburner for your RSS, and Libsyn or Blubrry.com for your
                  > media hosting (I use Libsyn). As for Recording Skype, I use an external
                  > recorder and take it right out of my computer (see youtube
                  > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsAUgApgs6s ). For mixing in music, plug
                  > your
                  > ipod or CD player into an external mixer if you're going to mix it live. If
                  > not you can add it in post.
                  >
                  > Let me know if you need more help. I can do it for you, or point you
                  > towards
                  > tutorials that walk you through the whole process.
                  >
                  > Dave Jackson
                  > Personal Podcast Coach
                  > www.schoolofpodcasting.com

                • Pat Cook
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 8, 2011
                    On 2/3/2011 11:28 AM, zakrhyno wrote:

                    > Hello everybody I'm new here to the group and thought first off saying
                    > hello to all and hope all of you are doing well. Well I been listen to
                    > podcast via iTunes for a few months and well got the itch to try and
                    > do one myself. I spoken to a few friends and they like the idea, but
                    > they mostly just want to talk on it and not do the work behind editing
                    > and stuff. Not really a problem tho. But that where a few of my
                    > questions come in. I been looking around and can't really find an
                    > answer to my question on the net and even via Google. *gasp!* :P So I
                    > add my questions below and maybe someone can give me a hand.

                    Okay.....

                    > 1. I want to do a podcast but I'm trying to find a all in one software
                    > that allow me to record, mix, upload and RSS feed, the finish podcast
                    > to the server. I do know Audacity but it don't really do everything I
                    > want it to do, (sort of). So I'm okay to give some funds up to by the
                    > software.

                    If you sign up with a podcast host, you won't need to upload an RSS file
                    as one will be generated for you. Submit THAT to iTunes & other places.

                    > 2. The main communications I will be using is Skype, so I was trying
                    > to play music during the recording but have yet to find and type
                    > software that will do it. Now I do have just my on board sound card
                    > and willing to get buy a sound card for it but, have yet not found any
                    > software that allows me to do that while recording and the other
                    > people on Skype can hear to.
                    > There are the first problems I have came across and trying to find
                    > answers to.

                    If all you have is onboard sound (As in a sound card or chip WITHOUT a
                    "What-U-Hear" feature that exists on many SoundBlasters which will allow
                    people to hear what you are sending quite nicely & WITHOUT sounding like
                    a mic being pointed at a speaker), then you will find it VERY hard
                    unless you either get a SoundBlaster that has this feature or get a
                    hardware audio mixer.

                    Hope this helps.....

                    Cheers :D

                    --
                    Pat Cook Host - *THE LEFT WING CONSERVATIVE*
                    *Website <http://www.wix.com/progressivemoderates/mainwix>*

                  • Pat Cook
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 8, 2011
                      Or just go computer to computer via Skype with the person at the other
                      end. That would help.....

                      Cheers :D

                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 8, 2011
                        Any music shop that sells instruments should have what you're looking
                        for (Provided they sell DJ gear & not just instruments that is).

                        Cheers :D

                        On 2/4/2011 9:56 AM, Zak Rhyno wrote:
                        > So I will need a mixer of some type. Is there a way to have it as a digital
                        > mixer and not a device you have to have extra, meaning it all on the
                        > computer.?
                        >
                        > On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 10:54 AM, David Jackson<jammindave@...> wrote:
                        >

                        >> You had mentioned you wanted an all in one solution for recording/rss, etc.
                        >> I wouldn't do that (if it breaks, everything goes down). Record in
                        >> Audacity,
                        >> Use Wordpress/Feedburner for your RSS, and Libsyn or Blubrry.com for your
                        >> media hosting (I use Libsyn). As for Recording Skype, I use an external
                        >> recorder and take it right out of my computer (see youtube
                        >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsAUgApgs6s ). For mixing in music, plug
                        >> your
                        >> ipod or CD player into an external mixer if you're going to mix it live. If
                        >> not you can add it in post.
                        >>
                        >> Let me know if you need more help. I can do it for you, or point you
                        >> towards
                        >> tutorials that walk you through the whole process.
                        >>
                        >> Dave Jackson
                        >> Personal Podcast Coach
                        >> www.schoolofpodcasting.com

                        Pat Cook Host - *THE LEFT WING CONSERVATIVE*
                        *Website <http://www.wix.com/progressivemoderates/mainwix>*
                        *Audio Podcast <http://theleftwingconservative.mevio.com/>*
                        *Video Podcast <http://tlwctv.mevio.com/>*
                        Englewood, CO

                      • ZakRhyno
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 8, 2011
                          Well I got a audio card that will free up my on board audio. But I'm trying
                          to keep everything pretty much computer and software, not really anything
                          else like mixers and stuff like that. I trying to do this a different way
                          than then current way of doing things. I do see where everybody is coming
                          from, but anybody get what I'm coming from? For me it easy to have last
                          things to laying around then having more stuff to worry about. Audacity is a
                          nice tool but it don't do everything I'm looking for really. I was wondering
                          if anybody found software that does that? I found one thing but it so out of
                          date it don't work with today's stuff.