Video "podcast" help

  • Mike S
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 17, 2011
      Hi all,

      I'm planning to a Video Game "Video podcast" on YouTube.

      I'm planning to record them in roughly 8 minute sections, recording from both a Games console and a Mic. I'm wanting to record the mic at the same time as I play.

      I've got two issues. First, I'm not sure how to combine one mono (mic) track and a stereo (video) track at the same time. I don't know if I can get a sound from both sources at the same time. Also I need to be able to see what I'm recording, as there is no other way to video out. I am aware of going Mono and picking one Left/Right for Game and Mic, but with my USB Headset mic being the only one that doesn't sound like I'm recording in a wind tunnel/kitchen/emtpy hall (Which I am).

      At the moment, I can record either one or the two sources. Since I've got a WinTV USB, and I've tested the hardware setup for a while, a few years ago.. (I'm forced to use PAL (50Hz) due to living in England.)

      The second Problem is that my Budget is ... not available. (Until April, but I'm planning to finish recording by 1st March.)

      Yours,
      Mike
    • Paul Puri
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 18, 2011
        Am I safe to assume that the only video will be the game itself? If that is
        the case, you could record 'commentary' after the fact. I did that with a
        product review and it actually came out well. That way I could concentrate
        on the the product and the review as two separate projects until I merged
        them in software.

        Paul Puri

        http://paulpuri.name/

        On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 4:15 PM, Mike S <windytwit@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I'm planning to a Video Game "Video podcast" on YouTube.
        >
        > I'm planning to record them in roughly 8 minute sections, recording from
        > both a Games console and a Mic. I'm wanting to record the mic at the same
        > time as I play.
        >
        > I've got two issues. First, I'm not sure how to combine one mono (mic)
        > track and a stereo (video) track at the same time. I don't know if I can get
        > a sound from both sources at the same time. Also I need to be able to see
        > what I'm recording, as there is no other way to video out. I am aware of
        > going Mono and picking one Left/Right for Game and Mic, but with my USB
        > Headset mic being the only one that doesn't sound like I'm recording in a
        > wind tunnel/kitchen/emtpy hall (Which I am).
        >
        > At the moment, I can record either one or the two sources. Since I've got a
        > WinTV USB, and I've tested the hardware setup for a while, a few years ago..
        > (I'm forced to use PAL (50Hz) due to living in England.)
        >
        > The second Problem is that my Budget is ... not available. (Until April,
        > but I'm planning to finish recording by 1st March.)
        >
        > Yours,
        > Mike

      • Pat Cook
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 23, 2011
          Take my advice - AVOID using YouTube for podcasting unless you simply
          plan on doing a personal musings podcast. The reason I say that is
          because (Contrary to popular belief of MANY on the Internet) YouTube
          really isn't set up (Nor was it designed for) podcasting.

          My suggestion would be to use either Mevio, BlipTV or the Internet
          Archive (The latter HAS a video game genre).

          Just my opinion.....

          Cheers :D

          --
          Pat Cook Host - *THE LEFT WING CONSERVATIVE*
          *Website <http://www.wix.com/progressivemoderates/mainwix>*