Re: [podcasters] Podcasting

  • David Jackson
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 13, 2011
      Why do you think going live will be better?

      Dave Jackson
      Www.schoolofpodcasting.com
      On Jan 13, 2011 7:55 AM, "wats up" <infoman5843@...> wrote:
      > We started podcasting via pre-recording and i wanted to know if anyone had
      any advice about how to change my platform to live feed. Also i would like
      to know a little more about any good equipment out there. I am now using the
      blue yeti mic and seem to love it but my podcasting software sucks so far..
      Abelton, any suggestions.

      > Thanks
      > The Interrupters

    • Charley Hays
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 13, 2011
        I'm with Dave re: the question about live podcasting.
        As far as equipment, that question is pretty vague. It really depends on
        what your individual needs are, and what your budget is. It sounds like you
        have multiple hosts, are you in the same room, or on skype? Things like
        that are necessary factors to help you find out the best equipment within
        your budget.

        On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 12:03 PM, David Jackson <jammindave@...>wrote:

        > Why do you think going live will be better?
        >
        > Dave Jackson
        > Www.schoolofpodcasting.com <http://www.schoolofpodcasting.com/>
        > On Jan 13, 2011 7:55 AM, "wats up" <infoman5843@...<infoman5843%40yahoo.com>>
        > wrote:
        > > We started podcasting via pre-recording and i wanted to know if anyone
        > had
        > any advice about how to change my platform to live feed. Also i would like
        > to know a little more about any good equipment out there. I am now using
        > the
        > blue yeti mic and seem to love it but my podcasting software sucks so far..
        > Abelton, any suggestions.
        > >
        > > Thanks
        > > The Interrupters

        Charley Hays
        web: www.hayscreativemedia.com
        podcast: www.crossdrivenradio.com
        skype: charley_hays
        twitter: www.twitter.com/charleyhays

      • Shawn Thorpe
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 13, 2011
          Overall, I've had good experiences using ustream.tv for live streaming of
          audio (ustream also does video).

          As others have pointed out, you need to provide more details about your
          needs before anyone can give you valid suggestions for gear/software.

          --
          -Shawn Thorpe
          http://geminidragon.tv/ - stuff, we make it

        • Calvin Powers
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 14, 2011
            On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 12:03 PM, David Jackson <jammindave@...>wrote:

            > Why do you think going live will be better?
            >
            > Dave Jackson
            > Www.schoolofpodcasting.com

            For Taproot Radio <http://www.taprootradio.com/>, I have an internet music
            stream, a live radio show on Monday nights at 9pm eastern on
            WCOM<http://wcomfm.org>,
            and a podcast<http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/taproot-radio-podcast/id389702845>.
            At least for me, the live radio show has a much more intimate, direct
            connection to the audience feel to it. Your mileage may vary of course. But
            my experience has been that it's very difficult to imitate a live show by
            prerecording bits and mixing them together. So I can understand why someone
            would want to do a live show.

            I am in the process of putting together a new podcast and I have also been
            wanting to do this one "live to tape," i.e. record and mix the whole thing
            in real time and then send it out on the RSS feed as a downloadable episode.
            This has been a lot harder to do thane a mixed show.

            Just as an example, for my current podcast, I'll script it out and record
            all the talk sets. Then I'll pull them into audacity and fix their levels,
            compress the sound a bit and remove the noise and the result sounds pretty
            darn good. But with a live to tape show, I have to get everything just right
            before I hit the record and getting sufficient gain in my dynamic microphone
            without injecting a bunch of hiss has proven to be very difficult.

            Also, live telephone interviews will be a big part of the new show and
            coming up with a way to mix in calls in real-time is still a big challenge
            for me. I've learned the basics of getting a "Mix minus" set up working, but
            I am still having trouble getting the levels and sound quality right.

            Even simple things can have a bunch of gotchas. For example, I patched the
            headphone out from my laptop into the mixing board and it worked just fine
            so i can mix in music tracks like the opening and closing theme music. But
            my mic stand on the desk picked up the faint hum of the laptop hard drive.
            At first I thought it was electrical DC hum but it wasn't. It turned out to
            e a strictly mechanical thing. The vibration of the laptop hard drive made
            the wooden desk hum ever so slightly which was picked up by the microphone.
            So no the laptop and its power supply have to sit on a foam pad. It's one of
            those things you'd never notice. But once it gets recorded, somehow it
            sticks out like a sore thumb.

            Is it worth all the trouble doing "live to tape"? I'm not sure it is, but
            you sure will learn a lot about sound engineering along the way. :) I agree
            with the previous suggestions that using ustream.tv or maybe even Talk Shoe
            might e a good intermediate step.

          • C. Hatton Humphrey
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 14, 2011

              > I am in the process of putting together a new podcast and I have also been
              > wanting to do this one "live to tape," i.e. record and mix the whole thing
              > in real time and then send it out on the RSS feed as a downloadable
              > episode.
              > This has been a lot harder to do thane a mixed show.

              You're describing what I do via Talkshoe every week... only my show isn't so
              scripted ;)

              I have a VoIP client dial in as my mixer and then I call in with the phone.
              Granted, the audio quality is not what it could be if I used VoIP to dial
              in but I also have $0 hardware invested.

              The rough part is when there are things that need to be edited for whatever
              reason... 5 year olds that don't want to go to sleep, people dialing in for
              the sheer act of harassing myself and my co-host (which happens because of
              our subject matter), mixer problems, etc. I have to "hide" the episode,
              download it, edit it in audacity, re-save as MP3, re-upload and then "show"
              it.

              Because I have a stand-alone site for the show I also have to create a blog
              post with the link, let Feedburner update and voila!

              In the past I've been told that's, "turn-key podcasting"... works for me
              whatever it is! We just started on our fourth year of episodes so
              somethings working right!

              Hatton
              http://www.eastcoastconservative.com