Re: [podcasters] Merry Christmas and a question

  • Dan Hughes
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 25, 2010
      The smaller mixer should be fine for you. I'd look at the Mackie 402-VLZ3 (
      http://tinyurl.com/2flk29z). That's the mixer I use, and I love it.

      Then get a good mic with the money you save.

      ---Dan Hughes, http://danhughes.net

      --
      Best,

      ---Dan
      http://danhughes.net
      http://danhughesbooks.com
      http://thetreasurecorner.com
      http://thesoftballcorner.com
      http://radiofun.info

    • Richard Amirault
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 25, 2010
        A "good" mixer will serve you for years to come. Along with more mic imputs
        also consider one with INSERTS. That will let you grow as you add equipment.

        Richard Amirault
        Boston, MA, USA
        http://n1jdu.org
        http://bostonfandom.org

        From: "Dan Hughes"

        > The smaller mixer should be fine for you. I'd look at the Mackie 402-VLZ3
        > (
        > http://tinyurl.com/2flk29z). That's the mixer I use, and I love it.
        >
        > Then get a good mic with the money you save.
      • Shawn Thorpe
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 25, 2010
          Split the difference and get an 8-channel mixer with inserts AND aux sends.
          I also like the idea of spending a little extra on your mic(s).

          On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 6:13 PM, clay.dugger <clay.dugger@...> wrote:

          > First: Merry and Happy to all of you.
          >
          > Second: Should I use my Christmas dough---
          >
          > A) buying a lot more mixer (12 channel with lots of features) than I
          > currently need in the hopes that I might need it later and will gain useful
          > experience during the meantime
          >
          > or
          >
          > B) buying enough mixer (4 channel, smaller with USB interface to the PC) to
          > get me through the near future and maybe a second mic
          >
          > I do 2 (mostly solo) podcasts about once a month or so each, and quite a
          > bit of voice acting, so that's around 2 hours a month "in the can". I play
          > no instruments (yet, working on that), and I don't sing (anymore). I would
          > like to be able to record multiple voices or devices at the same time, but
          > either mixer would work for that (4 channel or 12, it doesn't matter right
          > now).
          > Portability isn't an issue. If it's important, I'll carry it, big or small.
          >
          > Just curious what the experienced minds in the field think.

          --
          -Shawn Thorpe
          http://geminidragon.tv/ - stuff, we make it
          http://shawnogram.com/ - multimedia blog
          http://booksandwich.com/ - book reviews and more
          http://haikuoffrustration.com/ - submit your own!

        • clay.dugger
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 27, 2010
            I did. It's crap, so it's going back and I'm getting the 4 channel USB Alesis.

            I did get 2 new mics. Don't need 2 new mics, but I got 'em anyway.