Merry Christmas and a question

  • clay.dugger
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 25, 2010
      First: Merry and Happy to all of you.

      Second: Should I use my Christmas dough---

      A) buying a lot more mixer (12 channel with lots of features) than I currently need in the hopes that I might need it later and will gain useful experience during the meantime

      or

      B) buying enough mixer (4 channel, smaller with USB interface to the PC) to get me through the near future and maybe a second mic

      I do 2 (mostly solo) podcasts about once a month or so each, and quite a bit of voice acting, so that's around 2 hours a month "in the can". I play no instruments (yet, working on that), and I don't sing (anymore). I would like to be able to record multiple voices or devices at the same time, but either mixer would work for that (4 channel or 12, it doesn't matter right now).
      Portability isn't an issue. If it's important, I'll carry it, big or small.

      Just curious what the experienced minds in the field think.
    • Dan Hughes
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 25, 2010
        The smaller mixer should be fine for you. I'd look at the Mackie 402-VLZ3 (
        http://tinyurl.com/2flk29z). That's the mixer I use, and I love it.

        Then get a good mic with the money you save.

        ---Dan Hughes, http://danhughes.net

        --
        Best,

        ---Dan
        http://danhughes.net
        http://danhughesbooks.com
        http://thetreasurecorner.com
        http://thesoftballcorner.com
        http://radiofun.info

      • Richard Amirault
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 25, 2010
          A "good" mixer will serve you for years to come. Along with more mic imputs
          also consider one with INSERTS. That will let you grow as you add equipment.

          Richard Amirault
          Boston, MA, USA
          http://n1jdu.org
          http://bostonfandom.org

          From: "Dan Hughes"

          > The smaller mixer should be fine for you. I'd look at the Mackie 402-VLZ3
          > (
          > http://tinyurl.com/2flk29z). That's the mixer I use, and I love it.
          >
          > Then get a good mic with the money you save.
        • Shawn Thorpe
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 25, 2010
            Split the difference and get an 8-channel mixer with inserts AND aux sends.
            I also like the idea of spending a little extra on your mic(s).

            On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 6:13 PM, clay.dugger <clay.dugger@...> wrote:

            > First: Merry and Happy to all of you.
            >
            > Second: Should I use my Christmas dough---
            >
            > A) buying a lot more mixer (12 channel with lots of features) than I
            > currently need in the hopes that I might need it later and will gain useful
            > experience during the meantime
            >
            > or
            >
            > B) buying enough mixer (4 channel, smaller with USB interface to the PC) to
            > get me through the near future and maybe a second mic
            >
            > I do 2 (mostly solo) podcasts about once a month or so each, and quite a
            > bit of voice acting, so that's around 2 hours a month "in the can". I play
            > no instruments (yet, working on that), and I don't sing (anymore). I would
            > like to be able to record multiple voices or devices at the same time, but
            > either mixer would work for that (4 channel or 12, it doesn't matter right
            > now).
            > Portability isn't an issue. If it's important, I'll carry it, big or small.
            >
            > Just curious what the experienced minds in the field think.

            --
            -Shawn Thorpe
            http://geminidragon.tv/ - stuff, we make it
            http://shawnogram.com/ - multimedia blog
            http://booksandwich.com/ - book reviews and more
            http://haikuoffrustration.com/ - submit your own!

          • clay.dugger
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 27, 2010
              I did. It's crap, so it's going back and I'm getting the 4 channel USB Alesis.

              I did get 2 new mics. Don't need 2 new mics, but I got 'em anyway.