Re: All the rules for podcasting are wrong.

  • clay.dugger
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 22, 2010
      And before anyone gets mad at me, think about this:

      If you write a book, and submit to a publisher, would you submit one that has no proper capitalization?

      No.

      > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Nobilis Reed <authornobilis@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Okay, well, maybe not ALL the rules.
      > >
      > > But she makes a good case...
      > >
      > > http://hotgluemedia.com/blog/all-the-rules-for-podcasting-are-wrong/
      > >
      > > Good points in here. I think part of the meta-message here is
      > > *understand what you want to get out of it* and use that to drive your
      > > podcast practices.
      > >
      > > --
      > > Weekly audio stories -- Nobilis Erotica: http://nobilis.libsyn.com
      > > -----
      > > Discussion Email List - http://groups.google.com/group/nobiliserotica
      > > -----
      > > "Scouts" science fiction erotic romance -
      > > http://www.logical-lust.com/scouts.html

    • angelomandato
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 23, 2010
        The theme has a CSS style "text-transform: lowercase;" which makes all the text lowercase. If you use Firefox, under the 'View' pull down menu select "Page Style" > "No Style". You will find that the original writing includes capitalization.

        The lesson here folks, make sure when you pick a theme for your blog/podcast, that it is capable of meeting the expectations of all your readers. Grammar is a big deal to some and your theme design can dramatically effect that.

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "clay.dugger" <clay.dugger@...> wrote:

        > Well, I was going to read that, until I realized that the author has absolutely NO concept of how to actually put words on paper. Not talking about content. Talking about one of the very most basic rules.
        >
        > Capitalize the beginnings of a sentence!
        >
        > I wonder how the author would react to some big named publication mispelling his/her (I simply don't know which applies) name in print? After all, isn't that just some archaic rule, that you spell someone's name correctly? Or, what about capitalizing other people's names, but not the author's?
        >
        > How hard is it to capitalize? Rather, how stupid is it to NEVER capitalize?
        >
        > I'm surprised the author bothered with punctuation. All those extra key strokes have got the be causing some serious hand cramps.
        >
        > Just one more trend demonstrating the complete loss of intelligence in America.
        >
        > I wonder if anyone under the age of 40 even understand why I'm upset.
        >

        > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Nobilis Reed <authornobilis@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Okay, well, maybe not ALL the rules.
        > >
        > > But she makes a good case...
        > >
        > > http://hotgluemedia.com/blog/all-the-rules-for-podcasting-are-wrong/
        > >
        > > Good points in here. I think part of the meta-message here is
        > > *understand what you want to get out of it* and use that to drive your
        > > podcast practices.
        > >
        > > --
        > > Weekly audio stories -- Nobilis Erotica: http://nobilis.libsyn.com
        > > -----
        > > Discussion Email List - http://groups.google.com/group/nobiliserotica
        > > -----
        > > "Scouts" science fiction erotic romance -
        > > http://www.logical-lust.com/scouts.html

      • Nobilis Reed
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 23, 2010
          Unless you're not interested in reaching grammar pedants who care more for
          form than function.

          (Sorry, Clay... but you set yourself up for that one)

          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 23, 2010
            On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 11:17 AM, clay.dugger <clay.dugger@...> wrote:

            > I wonder if anyone under the age of 40 even understand why I'm upset.

            1.) The word is "understands." There's an S at the end. Conjugation is one
            of the "very most basic rules."

            2.) I notice you failed to properly specify and capitalize your own name in
            your email message. Do you have self-esteem issues, clay.dugger? Are you
            another victim of the "complete loss of intelligence in America?" Or do you
            simply "have NO concept" of how to properly configure your email client?

            3.) Chill out. Yeesh.

            Nobody's perfect. You're certainly not. Getting that pedantic and nitpicky
            about form over substance rarely makes the original author look bad. It
            makes you look bad -- and it derails further discussion.

            (Which I just bought into -- but to atone, I'll make another post responding
            to the actual content that this thread is about.)

            http://www.escapepod.org

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 23, 2010
              On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 10:47 PM, Nobilis Reed <authornobilis@...>wrote:

              > Okay, well, maybe not ALL the rules.
              > But she makes a good case...
              > http://hotgluemedia.com/blog/all-the-rules-for-podcasting-are-wrong/

              As for the content of the blog post: ...Meh. Confusing common practices
              with "rules" is an easy trick to sound radical and posture like you're
              tearing down the establishment. "A recent conversation on LinkedIn" (with
              no link) isn't exactly a bulwark of authority. With a subject like "All the
              rules are wrong!" I expected a bit more rage against the machine.

              And then, of the five "rules" cited, she ends up agreeing with the last two,
              weakly and with cautions not to overdo it. Yeah! TELL IT, sister!

              Her perspective isn't bad here. I don't disagree with anything she says.
              It's just...well, the teapot was only lukewarm to begin with. So the
              tempest wasn't that great.

              http://www.escapepod.org

            • Rob Usdin
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 23, 2010
                To put it in podcast terms, reading that blog is like having some light
                static throughout your whole podcast. You can still listen, but it's
                distracting to the point that you need to make just a little bit more effort
                then you have to, to ignore it.

                --*Rob

                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 23, 2010
                  I did not know that.

                  Well, isn't my face red.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 23, 2010
                    Yes, I make mistakes. Typos, even. But, CSS style settings aside (which I really didn't know about), as least it appears that I try to be correct.

                    As to the email, it actually is a standard in email naming protocols. If I type in sfeley@... it'll still go to you. Same with most website addresses. No caps is the standard.

                    And, yes, I probably do need to chill out. I've just had too many people nitpick my stuff too many times. Kinda becomes a habit.

                    BUT, substance is useless without some form of proper form. You watch any professional in a physical activity. The vast majority of them in any one particular field will use the same form for the same result. When they get out of form, they don't do as well.

                    Intellectual activities also need some basic forms.

                    I notice Escape Pod in your sig line. You back with them?

                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 23, 2010
                      On Nov 23, 2010, at 11:41 PM, clay.dugger wrote:

                      > BUT, substance is useless without some form of proper form. You watch any professional in a physical activity. The vast majority of them in any one particular field will use the same form for the same result. When they get out of form, they don't do as well.

                      "Useless" is too harsh, and your appeal to professionalism is excessive. The post you're complaining about was from a personal blog. Most bloggers and podcasters don't have 'professional' aspirations; they do it for personal reward, or to reach informal audiences who are usually willing to tolerate stylistic freedom. There's nothing wrong with that. "Would a professional publication accept this content?" isn't the right question for every piece of prose on the Internet. Some bloggers have different goals, and can achieve them without resorting to the same conventions.

                      Same goes for podcasting. I tried my best to put out a podcast with high standards of content, narrative quality, and engineering. But it's not the only kind of podcast I've listened to and enjoyed, and it'd be a shame if people were discouraged from podcasting because their work didn't meet standards that had nothing to do with their goals.

                      > I notice Escape Pod in your sig line. You back with them?

                      Not directly; I'm mostly just lazy and haven't changed my Gmail signature yet. I do still own the company, though. And it's still a product I consider worth advertising. >8->

                      > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 11:17 AM, clay.dugger <clay.dugger@...> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > > I wonder if anyone under the age of 40 even understand why I'm upset.
                      > > >

                      > > 1.) The word is "understands." There's an S at the end. Conjugation is one
                      > > of the "very most basic rules."
                      > >
                      > > 2.) I notice you failed to properly specify and capitalize your own name in
                      > > your email message. Do you have self-esteem issues, clay.dugger? Are you
                      > > another victim of the "complete loss of intelligence in America?" Or do you
                      > > simply "have NO concept" of how to properly configure your email client?
                      > >
                      > > 3.) Chill out. Yeesh.
                      > >
                      > > Nobody's perfect. You're certainly not. Getting that pedantic and nitpicky
                      > > about form over substance rarely makes the original author look bad. It
                      > > makes you look bad -- and it derails further discussion.
                      > >
                      > > (Which I just bought into -- but to atone, I'll make another post responding
                      > > to the actual content that this thread is about.)
                      > >

                      > > --
                      > > Have Fun,
                      > > Steve Eley (sfeley@...)
                      > > ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine
                      > > http://www.escapepod.org

                    • clay.dugger
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 24, 2010
                        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:
                        > "Useless" is too harsh, and your appeal to professionalism is excessive. The post you're complaining about was from a personal blog. Most bloggers and podcasters don't have 'professional' aspirations; they do it for personal reward, or to reach informal audiences who are usually willing to tolerate stylistic freedom. There's nothing wrong with that. "Would a professional publication accept this content?" isn't the right question for every piece of prose on the Internet. Some bloggers have different goals, and can achieve them without resorting to the same conventions.

                        I concede the "personal reward" aspect. I have a lot of fun with my two podcasts, and make no serious effort to rid myself of my "twang" (as it has been called). I tend to say "fur" instead of "for", for example. I've been working on it, but only because it irritates me, not for any altruistic, or professional reason.

                        > Same goes for podcasting. I tried my best to put out a podcast with high standards of content, narrative quality, and engineering. But it's not the only kind of podcast I've listened to and enjoyed, and it'd be a shame if people were discouraged from podcasting because their work didn't meet standards that had nothing to do with their goals.

                        > Not directly; I'm mostly just lazy and haven't changed my Gmail signature yet. I do still own the company, though. And it's still a product I consider worth advertising. >8->

                        Now, lazy is something I can relate to and see as a benefit.
                      • Patrick McNa...
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 27, 2010
                          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Nobilis Reed <authornobilis@...> wrote:

                          > Okay, well, maybe not ALL the rules.
                          >
                          > But she makes a good case...
                          >
                          > http://hotgluemedia.com/blog/all-the-rules-for-podcasting-are-wrong/
                          >
                          > Good points in here. I think part of the meta-message here is
                          > *understand what you want to get out of it* and use that to drive your
                          > podcast practices.

                          The rules mentioned are generally wrong, although I don't know if I would say they're wrong for the reasons stated.

                          1. Consistency

                          I've found that it's not consistency that's important for building an audience but frequency. From what I've observed with my own podcast, a podcast put out once a week generally has a better chance at building an audience than one that comes out once a month, and a daily podcast generally does a better job of building an audience than a weekly podcast. Consistency would mean the podcast comes out on the same day each week at about the same time, but people aren't consistent about when they listen to podcasts so it's not as important as it seems.

                          2. File Size

                          This has been talked about before so I won't go into it. It's well known that mono doesn't save space and you really need to adjust your settings according to they type of podcast you do.

                          3. Style

                          It's true that you don't need to break up your podcast with music, especially if it's a short podcast. But the argument they're giving isn't about style, it's about the structure of the podcast. An hour of talk can get boring, but in that case it would be a lack of style that would be the problem. An intelligent talk on an interesting topic should hold up well without the need to break it up. Unless you're one of those podcasters who talks for three hours.

                          4. Engage Your Audience

                          Again it seems someone needs a dictionary. To "engage" an audience is to interest them. That's something done through a good presentation. But what they're really talking about is "interacting" with the audience, but that's often dependent upon the audience interacting with you first. Voice mail is often the worst form because it may require the audience members to pay for a long distance call. E-mail and forums are free.

                          5. Podtact

                          The whole idea of trying to attract other podcasters audiences only really works if the podcaster you're dealing with has a similar audience and of a reasonable size. Interacting with other podcasters to learn and improve your podcast is always good. However, it's also possible to put out a very good podcast without any contact, so it's debatable whether this really makes a difference.