Re: [podcasters] Thanks for the mic suggestions!

  • Ben Straw
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 20, 2010
      If your looking for a USB microphone get a Blue Yeti @$149
      (http://bluemic.com/yeti/). A nice feature with the Yeti is it has a headphone
      jack that allows you to hear yourself. (Note: Blue has discontinued the Snowball
      mic and has replaced it with the Yeti)
      If your looking for a microphone that hooks up to a mixer via XLR. I would
      recommend a Heil PR-20UT (http://heilsound.com/pro/products/pr20ut/). Its the
      same version as the PR-20 but without the extra mic grills, its also the price
      as the Shure SM58 @ $99, and you get a better sound quality out of this
      microphone. Although if your are the type that records from the road, then the
      SM58 would be right for you (It has 9 lives...
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33QPLbQi9FI).

      There is a new microphone on the market from Studio Projects called LSM aka
      Little Square Mic @$179 (http://studioprojectsusa.com/lsm.html) its a USB and
      XLR microphone. It looks cool and I'm thinking about getting one just test it.

      Benjamin Straw - Qetuo Media - http://Qetuo.me
      P: 1-304-449-4335
      Skype: n3bb3n
      Twitter: Twitter.com/nebben
      Want to Learn About Podcasting? - http://How2Podcast.com

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 20, 2010
        My mixer is on the fritz, so I have been hooking up my little portable Zoom
        H2 mic to the computer, setting it up to be a USB mic, and going from that.
        I am plugging my headphones into the Zoom, so I am not experiencing any
        latency problems. It sounds okay.

        You may want to consider this as a solution, because you can also use it as
        a handheld, of course.

        --
        Laura Ross

        Flyswatter Show podcast and blog
        http://godlessradio.com/flyswatter
        Voicemail: (678) 368-4935
        email: flyswatter@...
        Podcast feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/FlyswatterShow
        Blog feed: http://godlessradio.com/flyswatter/feed/

        The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
        http://coffeeandteashow.com
        Listener hotline: (678) 368-4935
        Skype: coffeeandteashow
        coffeeandteashow@...

        Rocky Horror Pod Show
        http://rockyhorrorpodshow.libsyn.com
        Listener Hotline: (678) 368-4935
        rockypod@...
        Join the Rockypod Google Group at http://groups.google.com/group/rockypod

      • Brains Matter
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 20, 2010
          I can second the Rode Podcaster. Very nice device, if you're looking at the USB option.

          --
          Brains Matter Podcast
          Melbourne, Australia

          On 20/11/2010, at 3:16 PM, Sharayah 888 wrote:

          > Hi all...thanks for the tips and suggestions on a mic and about headsets.
          > Dan, I am looking for a USB mic and will be shopping around this weekend!
          > Take care, Sharayah

        • clay.dugger
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 22, 2010
            Sorry I didn't read this earlier.

            A great mic is the Samson Q2U. Around $60. USB and XLR, combined! And, headphones plug into the mic.

            Really sweet mic. It has changed my recording. It tends to pick up breathing, but it is very good.