Re: [podcasters] Thanks for the mic suggestions!

  • Dan Hughes
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 19, 2010
      Sharayah, I've heard great things about this mic, and though it retails for
      $250 you can get it here for $93:

      http://tinyurl.com/yf5g27b

      I'm assuming you know about the latency problems with USB mics? You can't
      listen through headphones when you record, because the sound will get back
      to your ears after a delay and it will drive you nuts. So if you can record
      without headphones this mic will be great for you.

      If you want to use headphones, though, you'll need a regular mic (not a USB)
      and a small mixing board.

      Best,

      ---Dan

      On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 10:16 PM, Sharayah 888 <sharayah888@...>wrote:

      > Hi all...thanks for the tips and suggestions on a mic and about headsets.
      > Dan, I am looking for a USB mic and will be shopping around this weekend!
      > Take care, Sharayah

      Best,

      ---Dan
      http://danhughes.net
      http://danhughesbooks.com
      http://thetreasurecorner.com
      http://thesoftballcorner.com
      http://radiofun.info

    • Ben Straw
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 20, 2010
        If your looking for a USB microphone get a Blue Yeti @$149
        (http://bluemic.com/yeti/). A nice feature with the Yeti is it has a headphone
        jack that allows you to hear yourself. (Note: Blue has discontinued the Snowball
        mic and has replaced it with the Yeti)
        If your looking for a microphone that hooks up to a mixer via XLR. I would
        recommend a Heil PR-20UT (http://heilsound.com/pro/products/pr20ut/). Its the
        same version as the PR-20 but without the extra mic grills, its also the price
        as the Shure SM58 @ $99, and you get a better sound quality out of this
        microphone. Although if your are the type that records from the road, then the
        SM58 would be right for you (It has 9 lives...
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33QPLbQi9FI).

        There is a new microphone on the market from Studio Projects called LSM aka
        Little Square Mic @$179 (http://studioprojectsusa.com/lsm.html) its a USB and
        XLR microphone. It looks cool and I'm thinking about getting one just test it.

        Benjamin Straw - Qetuo Media - http://Qetuo.me
        P: 1-304-449-4335
        Skype: n3bb3n
        Twitter: Twitter.com/nebben
        Want to Learn About Podcasting? - http://How2Podcast.com

        ________________________________
        Sharayah, I've heard great things about this mic, and though it retails for
        $250 you can get it here for $93:

        http://tinyurl.com/yf5g27b

        I'm assuming you know about the latency problems with USB mics? You can't
        listen through headphones when you record, because the sound will get back
        to your ears after a delay and it will drive you nuts. So if you can record
        without headphones this mic will be great for you.

        If you want to use headphones, though, you'll need a regular mic (not a USB)
        and a small mixing board.

        Best,

        ---Dan

        On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 10:16 PM, Sharayah 888 <sharayah888@...>wrote:

        > Hi all...thanks for the tips and suggestions on a mic and about headsets.
        > Dan, I am looking for a USB mic and will be shopping around this weekend!
        > Take care, Sharayah

        Best,

        ---Dan
        http://danhughes.net
        http://danhughesbooks.com
        http://thetreasurecorner.com
        http://thesoftballcorner.com
        http://radiofun.info

      • Flyswatter
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 20, 2010
          My mixer is on the fritz, so I have been hooking up my little portable Zoom
          H2 mic to the computer, setting it up to be a USB mic, and going from that.
          I am plugging my headphones into the Zoom, so I am not experiencing any
          latency problems. It sounds okay.

          You may want to consider this as a solution, because you can also use it as
          a handheld, of course.

          --
          Laura Ross

          Flyswatter Show podcast and blog
          http://godlessradio.com/flyswatter
          Voicemail: (678) 368-4935
          email: flyswatter@...
          Podcast feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/FlyswatterShow
          Blog feed: http://godlessradio.com/flyswatter/feed/

          The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
          http://coffeeandteashow.com
          Listener hotline: (678) 368-4935
          Skype: coffeeandteashow
          coffeeandteashow@...

          Rocky Horror Pod Show
          http://rockyhorrorpodshow.libsyn.com
          Listener Hotline: (678) 368-4935
          rockypod@...
          Join the Rockypod Google Group at http://groups.google.com/group/rockypod

        • Brains Matter
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 20, 2010
            I can second the Rode Podcaster. Very nice device, if you're looking at the USB option.

            --
            Brains Matter Podcast
            Melbourne, Australia

            On 20/11/2010, at 3:16 PM, Sharayah 888 wrote:

            > Hi all...thanks for the tips and suggestions on a mic and about headsets.
            > Dan, I am looking for a USB mic and will be shopping around this weekend!
            > Take care, Sharayah

          • clay.dugger
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 22, 2010
              Sorry I didn't read this earlier.

              A great mic is the Samson Q2U. Around $60. USB and XLR, combined! And, headphones plug into the mic.

              Really sweet mic. It has changed my recording. It tends to pick up breathing, but it is very good.