Re: [podcasters] Seeking Suggestions

  • Dan Hughes
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 18, 2010
      Will you be using a mixer, or do you want a USB mic?

      ---Dan

      --
      Best,

      ---Dan
      http://danhughes.net
      http://danhughesbooks.com
      http://thetreasurecorner.com
      http://thesoftballcorner.com
      http://radiofun.info

    • Hank Duderstadt
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 18, 2010
        I've got a snowball as well and love it.

        H. Duderstadt, New Tech Maven
        ph 1-510-747-8319
        fx 1-510-291-2266
        1359 Pearl St. Apt H
        Alameda, CA 94501
        HM: dudervision@...
        Art Institute: mduderstadtjr@...
        My profiles: [image: Facebook] <dudervision> [image:
        LinkedIn]<http://www.linkedin.com/pub/hank-duderstadt/6/301/b00>
        [image:
        Blog RSS] <http://www.newtechmaven.com/feed/> [image: Twitter]<newtechmaven>
        Contact me: [image: Google Talk/] dudervision [image: Skype/]
        dudervision [image:
        AIM/] hankduder
        h. duderstadt, new tech maven Real learning isn�t about memorization, it�s
        about creativity�<http://www.newtechmaven.com/blog/2010/07/13/real-learning-isnt-about-memorization-its-about-creativity/>
        [image: Twitter] <http://twitter.com/newtechmaven> Latest tweet: Is this
        working?
        Follow @newtechmaven <http://twitter.com/newtechmaven>
        <http://twitter.com/?status=@newtechmaven%20&in_reply_to_status_id=4360745458343936&in_reply_to=newtechmaven>
        Reply<http://twitter.com/?status=@newtechmaven%20&in_reply_to_status_id=4360745458343936&in_reply_to=newtechmaven>
        <http://twitter.com/?status=RT%20%40newtechmaven%3A%20Is%20this%20working%3F>
        Retweet<http://twitter.com/?status=RT%20%40newtechmaven%3A%20Is%20this%20working%3F>
        18:30 Nov-15 <http://twitter.com/newtechmaven/statuses/4360745458343936>
        Get this email app!
        <http://www.wisestamp.com/apps/twitter?utm_source=extension&utm_medium=email&utm_term=twitter&utm_campaign=apps>

        On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 9:02 PM, Nobilis Reed <authornobilis@...>wrote:

        > On that budget you can't beat a Blue Snowball. Great sound, easy to use,
        > and affordable.
        >
        > On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 10:12 PM, sharayah888 <sharayah888@...>
        > wrote:
        >

        > > Hi all,
        > >
        > > I'm just starting out...and looking to purchase a microphone. Does anyone
        > > have some suggestions?
        > >
        > > My price range is $50 - $200 for in-studio use and it's just for me as I
        > > won't be interviewing anyone. Do you recommend a headset??
        > >
        > > Thanks!
        > > Sharayah
        > >

        > --
        > Weekly audio stories -- Nobilis Erotica: http://nobilis.libsyn.com
        > -----
        > Discussion Email List - http://groups.google.com/group/nobiliserotica
        > -----
        > "Scouts" science fiction erotic romance -
        > http://www.logical-lust.com/scouts.html

      • Douglas E. Welch
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 18, 2010
          I wouldn't recommend a headset. I think they sound like a "headset" for lack
          of a better description.

          I second the Snowball rec. Samson C01U is USB and sounds good, too, or the
          Rode Podcaster.

          *"Tell your story with Podcasting and New Media"*
          Web: http://DouglasEWelch.com -- Email: me@...

          Find hundreds of searchable job listings at jobs.welchwrite.com

          On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 9:04 PM, Dan Hughes <danhughesmail@...> wrote:

          > Will you be using a mixer, or do you want a USB mic?
          >
          > ---Dan
          >

          > On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 9:12 PM, sharayah888 <sharayah888@...>
          > wrote:
          >

          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > I'm just starting out...and looking to purchase a microphone. Does anyone
          > > have some suggestions?
          > >
          > > My price range is $50 - $200 for in-studio use and it's just for me as I
          > > won't be interviewing anyone. Do you recommend a headset??
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > > Sharayah
          > >

          > --
          > Best,
          >
          > ---Dan
          > http://danhughes.net
          > http://danhughesbooks.com
          > http://thetreasurecorner.com
          > http://thesoftballcorner.com
          > http://radiofun.info

        • Kenn Crawford
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 18, 2010
            The Blue Snowball that Nobilis mentioned has a very nice sound. It does
            have a tendancy to get a little pop-py if you get too close. Renee
            Chambliss narrated my audio book (and her own) using the snowball and it
            sounds excellent - some of the cleanest recordings I have worked with
            (she records in a "tent" so that helps a lot).
            The MXL990 is also another really good mic in that range (they have a
            USB version of it and I plan on adding one of them to my collection).
            Headsets are good and some have really good quality, but I'd rather not
            go that route because sometimes it picks up too much mouth noise. With a
            standalone mic you can use popfilters and you have the ability to move
            the mic further away from the computer for a cleaner recording, whereas
            a headset only gives you so much of a leash lol

            My 2 cents,
            Kenn

            --

            Kenn Crawford - author, songwriter, podcaster
            http://kenncrawford.com

            On 11/18/2010 11:12 PM, sharayah888 wrote:
            > Hi all,
            >
            > I'm just starting out...and looking to purchase a microphone. Does anyone have some suggestions?
            >
            > My price range is $50 - $200 for in-studio use and it's just for me as I won't be interviewing anyone. Do you recommend a headset??
            >
            > Thanks!
            > Sharayah

          • Richard Amirault
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 19, 2010
              From: "sharayah888"
              (snip)
              > My price range is $50 - $200 for in-studio use and it's just for me as I
              > won't be interviewing anyone. Do you recommend a headset??

              You haven't answered an important question. How are you going to use the mic
              .. in other words what are you hooking the mic up to .. do you have a mixer
              and something to record with .. or, at this point anyway, just recording
              directly into your computer?

              Whatever mic you choose . you will need some sort of mic stand ... and .. I
              strongly suggest getting a "pop filter"

              If you have a mixer I would suggest a good dynamic mic .. such as the Shure
              SM-58 (available most anywhere for about $100) Dynamic mics have the
              advantage of being less sensitive to "room noises" .. such as cars driving
              by, or the 'fridge in the next room kicking on, or a fan.

              Richard Amirault
              Boston, MA, USA
              http://n1jdu.org
              http://bostonfandom.org