Re: [podcasters] Seeking Suggestions

  • Nobilis Reed
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 18, 2010
      On that budget you can't beat a Blue Snowball. Great sound, easy to use,
      and affordable.

      --
      Weekly audio stories -- Nobilis Erotica: http://nobilis.libsyn.com
      -----

    • Dan Hughes
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 18, 2010
        Will you be using a mixer, or do you want a USB mic?

        ---Dan

        --
        Best,

        ---Dan
        http://danhughes.net
        http://danhughesbooks.com
        http://thetreasurecorner.com
        http://thesoftballcorner.com
        http://radiofun.info

      • Hank Duderstadt
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 18, 2010
          I've got a snowball as well and love it.

          H. Duderstadt, New Tech Maven
          ph 1-510-747-8319
          fx 1-510-291-2266
          1359 Pearl St. Apt H
          Alameda, CA 94501
          HM: dudervision@...
          Art Institute: mduderstadtjr@...
          My profiles: [image: Facebook] <dudervision> [image:
          LinkedIn]<http://www.linkedin.com/pub/hank-duderstadt/6/301/b00>
          [image:
          Blog RSS] <http://www.newtechmaven.com/feed/> [image: Twitter]<newtechmaven>
          Contact me: [image: Google Talk/] dudervision [image: Skype/]
          dudervision [image:
          AIM/] hankduder
          h. duderstadt, new tech maven Real learning isn�t about memorization, it�s
          about creativity�<http://www.newtechmaven.com/blog/2010/07/13/real-learning-isnt-about-memorization-its-about-creativity/>
          [image: Twitter] <http://twitter.com/newtechmaven> Latest tweet: Is this
          working?
          Follow @newtechmaven <http://twitter.com/newtechmaven>
          <http://twitter.com/?status=@newtechmaven%20&in_reply_to_status_id=4360745458343936&in_reply_to=newtechmaven>
          Reply<http://twitter.com/?status=@newtechmaven%20&in_reply_to_status_id=4360745458343936&in_reply_to=newtechmaven>
          <http://twitter.com/?status=RT%20%40newtechmaven%3A%20Is%20this%20working%3F>
          Retweet<http://twitter.com/?status=RT%20%40newtechmaven%3A%20Is%20this%20working%3F>
          18:30 Nov-15 <http://twitter.com/newtechmaven/statuses/4360745458343936>
          Get this email app!
          <http://www.wisestamp.com/apps/twitter?utm_source=extension&utm_medium=email&utm_term=twitter&utm_campaign=apps>

          On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 9:02 PM, Nobilis Reed <authornobilis@...>wrote:

          > On that budget you can't beat a Blue Snowball. Great sound, easy to use,
          > and affordable.
          >
          > On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 10:12 PM, sharayah888 <sharayah888@...>
          > wrote:
          >

          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > I'm just starting out...and looking to purchase a microphone. Does anyone
          > > have some suggestions?
          > >
          > > My price range is $50 - $200 for in-studio use and it's just for me as I
          > > won't be interviewing anyone. Do you recommend a headset??
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > > Sharayah
          > >

          > --
          > Weekly audio stories -- Nobilis Erotica: http://nobilis.libsyn.com
          > -----
          > Discussion Email List - http://groups.google.com/group/nobiliserotica
          > -----
          > "Scouts" science fiction erotic romance -
          > http://www.logical-lust.com/scouts.html

        • Douglas E. Welch
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 18, 2010
            I wouldn't recommend a headset. I think they sound like a "headset" for lack
            of a better description.

            I second the Snowball rec. Samson C01U is USB and sounds good, too, or the
            Rode Podcaster.

            *"Tell your story with Podcasting and New Media"*
            Web: http://DouglasEWelch.com -- Email: me@...

            Find hundreds of searchable job listings at jobs.welchwrite.com

            On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 9:04 PM, Dan Hughes <danhughesmail@...> wrote:

            > Will you be using a mixer, or do you want a USB mic?
            >
            > ---Dan
            >

            > On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 9:12 PM, sharayah888 <sharayah888@...>
            > wrote:
            >

            > > Hi all,
            > >
            > > I'm just starting out...and looking to purchase a microphone. Does anyone
            > > have some suggestions?
            > >
            > > My price range is $50 - $200 for in-studio use and it's just for me as I
            > > won't be interviewing anyone. Do you recommend a headset??
            > >
            > > Thanks!
            > > Sharayah
            > >

            > --
            > Best,
            >
            > ---Dan
            > http://danhughes.net
            > http://danhughesbooks.com
            > http://thetreasurecorner.com
            > http://thesoftballcorner.com
            > http://radiofun.info

          • Kenn Crawford
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 18, 2010
              The Blue Snowball that Nobilis mentioned has a very nice sound. It does
              have a tendancy to get a little pop-py if you get too close. Renee
              Chambliss narrated my audio book (and her own) using the snowball and it
              sounds excellent - some of the cleanest recordings I have worked with
              (she records in a "tent" so that helps a lot).
              The MXL990 is also another really good mic in that range (they have a
              USB version of it and I plan on adding one of them to my collection).
              Headsets are good and some have really good quality, but I'd rather not
              go that route because sometimes it picks up too much mouth noise. With a
              standalone mic you can use popfilters and you have the ability to move
              the mic further away from the computer for a cleaner recording, whereas
              a headset only gives you so much of a leash lol

              My 2 cents,
              Kenn

              --

              Kenn Crawford - author, songwriter, podcaster
              http://kenncrawford.com

              On 11/18/2010 11:12 PM, sharayah888 wrote:
              > Hi all,
              >
              > I'm just starting out...and looking to purchase a microphone. Does anyone have some suggestions?
              >
              > My price range is $50 - $200 for in-studio use and it's just for me as I won't be interviewing anyone. Do you recommend a headset??
              >
              > Thanks!
              > Sharayah

            • Richard Amirault
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 19, 2010
                From: "sharayah888"
                (snip)
                > My price range is $50 - $200 for in-studio use and it's just for me as I
                > won't be interviewing anyone. Do you recommend a headset??

                You haven't answered an important question. How are you going to use the mic
                .. in other words what are you hooking the mic up to .. do you have a mixer
                and something to record with .. or, at this point anyway, just recording
                directly into your computer?

                Whatever mic you choose . you will need some sort of mic stand ... and .. I
                strongly suggest getting a "pop filter"

                If you have a mixer I would suggest a good dynamic mic .. such as the Shure
                SM-58 (available most anywhere for about $100) Dynamic mics have the
                advantage of being less sensitive to "room noises" .. such as cars driving
                by, or the 'fridge in the next room kicking on, or a fan.

                Richard Amirault
                Boston, MA, USA
                http://n1jdu.org
                http://bostonfandom.org