Idea For New Podcast

  • Pat Cook
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 13, 2010
      This idea might seem a little unusual but here goes......

      What I have in mind is creating an audio-only (To start out with until I get a
      camcorder) podcast from MY SHOWER.

      The reason for that is while some people sing in the shower, I **RANT** in the
      shower (And MANY of them have been political rants at that). In fact, I think I
      seem to be more focused on what I'm saying & do some of my best work while I'm
      in the shower for some strange reason.

      Maybe that's why some of those people who audition on such shows as "American
      Idol" think they're the next Elvis Presley or Whitney Houston when in fact
      they're really more like William Huong (Or the female equivelent thereof)? :D
      *LOL!*

      My plan is to make my setup as portable as possible. This is for two reasons.
      One is because I live in Government-subsidized housing. As such I need to be
      mindful of the rules & will need to be able to take it COMPLETELY DOWN on
      occasion. The second reason being that I need to be able to bring the recording
      device out of the shower with me after each shower so that I can post each
      episode.

      For obvious reasons, I can't clip a mic onto my body either though I can take a
      hand mic in there with me & simply let it hang down over the curtain & place a
      water-resistent cover over the head of it to prevent or minimize risk of a
      potential fire hazard.

      Given this, I am thinking my iRiver would be handy here once I find a place
      where I can not only secure it but also be audible as well. Having an external
      mic would be even more helpful. Thoughts?

      As for adding a camcorder, well.....I'm sure you can imagine what that would
      look like.

      Granted the acoustics wouldn't be ideal BUT that's the whole idea. It's not
      supposed to be of professional broadcast quality (Though all
      politically-oriented episodes would air on my Internet Radio station as
      additional content).

      Any ideas on how to make a setup for a podcast like this possible would be
      appreciated. I'd REALLY like to turn this into a reality if at all safe &
      possible :)

      Many thanks in advance

      Cheers :D

      Pat Cook
      HOST - The Left Wing Conservative
      Englewood, CO (NEW LOCATION!!)
      WEBSITE - http://www.wix.com/progressivemoderates/mainwix
      AUDIO PODCAST - http://theleftwingwingconservative.mevio.com/
      VIDEO PODCAST - http://tlwctv.mevio.com
      SKYPE LINE - leftyconservative
      TWITTER - http://twitter.com/libconservative
      FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/pages/leftyconservative/126700177352576
      VOICEMAIL - 206-350-2175

    • C. Hatton Humphrey
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 13, 2010
        Got a few ideas for ya:
        Title: All Washed Up
        Have a "Singing in the Rain" segment to hilight news/people that seem to
        have their head stuck in the clouds.
        Make heavy use of the toilet sound for ideas you don't agree with (edited
        out - comment about non-malodorous fecal matter).
        Maybe throw in a tagline like, "I'm Pat Cook thanks for listening and
        remember - lather, rinse and repeat!"

        In all seriousness you're going to have to figure out a way to overcome the
        shower sound itself unless you've got noise cancelling hardware. Also,
        stopping and starting your recording hardware might be problematic unless
        you figure out a way to protect the iRiver as well.

        Just some thoughts - it's a concept I'd give a listen to!

        Until Later!
        C. Hatton Humphrey
        http://www.eastcoastconservative.com

        No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of
        electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

        On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 6:14 PM, Pat Cook <patsblogs@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > water-resistent cover over the head of it to prevent or minimize risk of a
        > potential fire hazard.
        >
        > Given this, I am thinking my iRiver would be handy here once I find a place
        >
        > where I can not only secure it but also be audible as well. Having an
        > external
        > mic would be even more helpful. Thoughts?
        >
        > As for adding a camcorder, well.....I'm sure you can imagine what that
        > would
        > look like.
        >
        > Granted the acoustics wouldn't be ideal BUT that's the whole idea. It's not
        >
        > supposed to be of professional broadcast quality (Though all
        > politically-oriented episodes would air on my Internet Radio station as
        > additional content).
        >
        > Any ideas on how to make a setup for a podcast like this possible would be
        > appreciated. I'd REALLY like to turn this into a reality if at all safe &

      • Pat Cook
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 13, 2010
          LOVE the title ;) *LOL!*

          Too bad "Singin' In the Rain" ain't podsafe though :(

          As for the shower sound, I don't intend to overcome that beyond my voice. The
          whole idea of doing the podcast in the shower is to record the ranting I've been
          doing in the shower & uploading episodes of it for others to listen to. Trying
          to somehow cancel out the shower sound defeats the purpose of even doing the
          podcast.

          I also don't intend to start & stop the recording. It will record everything I
          rant on from start to finish. As for protection, I'm thinking that where I
          place the iRiver will be far enough away from the shower & splashing soap &
          water that it won't get damaged so no problem there. My main concern here is
          the external mic which I'll be using. I'm not yet quite sure where I'll put it
          (I think I have an idea though).

          Keep the thoughts coming though.....

          ________________________________
> [...]

          > water-resistent cover over the head of it to prevent or minimize risk of a
          > potential fire hazard.
          >
          > Given this, I am thinking my iRiver would be handy here once I find a place
          >
          > where I can not only secure it but also be audible as well. Having an
          > external
          > mic would be even more helpful. Thoughts?
          >
          > As for adding a camcorder, well.....I'm sure you can imagine what that
          > would
          > look like.
          >
          > Granted the acoustics wouldn't be ideal BUT that's the whole idea. It's not
          >
          > supposed to be of professional broadcast quality (Though all
          > politically-oriented episodes would air on my Internet Radio station as
          > additional content).
          >
          > Any ideas on how to make a setup for a podcast like this possible would be
          > appreciated. I'd REALLY like to turn this into a reality if at all safe &

        • C. Hatton Humphrey
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 14, 2010

            > Too bad "Singin' In the Rain" ain't podsafe though :(

            What about you whistling a few bars? Would that be acceptable? I don't
            use music enough in my show to have encountered a problem.

            > As for the shower sound, (and the rest)

            Makes sense.

            Unfortunately when I search for "shower microphone" I find sponges and
            soaps. Guess Google isn't good for everything!