Re: Recording individual callers in a skype call

  • supernicko79
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 29, 2010
      I'm aware of the skype limitation, hence I want them to record their audio and forward separately.

      I'm aware that Skeptics' Guide to the Universe use this system to do their very nice podcast but I'm not sure what software they are using. I could just ask them, but I feel a bit presumptuous to do so.

      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Steve Riekeberg <missingintellect@...> wrote:

      > Sadly, unless Skype has made some major changes under the hood recently, as
      > far as I know there is (still) no way to get separate audio streams for the
      > different people on a conference call--it's all mixed down internally, so
      > it's effectively impossible even with special software. It is possible
      > "outside the box," but with a relatively complex and not inexpensive
      > hardware configuration, most practically involving at the very least a
      > multitrack (FireWire, or USB 2.0) mixer with multiple aux sends.
      >
      > Steve Riekeberg
      > Host, Geek Cred
      > <http://www.geekcred.net>
      > 818-925-GEEK
      >

      > On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 1:41 PM, supernicko79
      > <nicholas@...>wrote:
      >

      > > That's correct.
      > >
      > > For each of the hosts, I'd like them to record the audio because I can get
      > > better quality audio than if I record them all through Skype. It also means
      > > that when I have three or four hosts on that week I don't have all of them
      > > on the one track with me on the other. (Currently using Pamela on a trial
      > > basis)
      > >
      > > Any interviews I would record and deal with any sound issues.
      > >
      > > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com <podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>, Nobilis
      > > Reed <authornobilis@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Calm down, Pat.
      > > >
      > > > I'm sure that when he says "...a number of people who call in..." he's
      > > not
      > > > talking about just anyone. He's talking about a few people that he has in
      > > > regularly.

      > > YOU
      > > for

      > > below,

      > > podcast
      > > on

      > > http://www.facebook.com/pages/leftyconservative/126700177352576

    • David Jackson
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 29, 2010
        You can adjust the volume of each skype caller in skype. No need to mix
        minus, etc

        Dave Jackson
        Schoolofpodcasting.com

      • Calvin Powers
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 30, 2010
          I haven't done it recently, but in the past I have used the Total Recorder
          product from High Criteria to record skype conversations and any sort of
          audio stream on the computer. As I recall, it's even smart enough to
          separate both ends of the call into left and right channels of the audio
          stream, if you want.

          Sorry, can't remember more details. To long ago. But you might want to check
          it out.

          Calvin

          On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Steve Riekeberg <missingintellect@...

        • The Handyguys
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 30, 2010
            It can be done without collecting individual files after the recording session but its expensive. It requires a dedicated computer per caller and a mixer than can send individual channels to the recorder. Leo Laporte does this for audio and video. He calls his contraption a skypasaurus or some such thing. See http://wiki.twit.tv/wiki/Equipment and http://leoville.com/the-skypesaurus-story

            At The Handyguys Podcast we use skype for interviews occasionally. We have a mixer (MultiMix 8 USB 2.0 http://www.alesis.com/multimix8usb20 ) which we plug in the in/out from a dedicated laptop we use for the Skype calls. I cant tell you off the top of my head how we set things. We record the audio on a different puter attached to the multimix. We can then isolate the caller's audio from the two hosts in studio. Our setup sorta works like a one channel skypasaurus.

            The downside is we are at the mercy of the callers network connection and skype setup or worse their regular phone. We have said we will never interview someone via a cell phone, the quality is too poor. Skype to Skype gives us the best quality.

            You can check out our shows here http://www.handyguyspodcast.com
            one of the shows with an interview via skype is here
            http://www.handyguyspodcast.com/1060/episode-105-paint-color

            If I were you, I would just rely on the mixing within skype and record the stream. The quality will be okay to start with. Once you get further along you can look into something more sophisticated.

            Good luck