Re: Recording individual callers in a skype call

  • supernicko79
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 29, 2010
      That's correct.

      For each of the hosts, I'd like them to record the audio because I can get better quality audio than if I record them all through Skype. It also means that when I have three or four hosts on that week I don't have all of them on the one track with me on the other. (Currently using Pamela on a trial basis)

      Any interviews I would record and deal with any sound issues.

      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Nobilis Reed <authornobilis@...> wrote:

      > Calm down, Pat.
      >
      > I'm sure that when he says "...a number of people who call in..." he's not
      > talking about just anyone. He's talking about a few people that he has in
      > regularly.
      >

      > On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 11:08 AM, Pat Cook <patsblogs@...> wrote:
      >

      > > Have guests record their conversations with you ON THEIR END to be sent to
      > > you????? Please tell me you're not serious about this.
      > >
      > > I think it's PODCAST SUICIDE
      > >
      > > Would you call a talk show on a terrestrial radio station knowing that YOU
      > > would
      > > have to be the one to record the call to be sent to the radio station for
      > > later
      > > broadcast?
      > >
      > > Seriously dude, if you can't do better than what you've come up with below,
      > >
      > > you're better off NOT taking live calls during the podcast recording &
      > > pre-recording your interviews IN ADVANCE OF the recording of your podcast
      > > episode. I say this because NO ONE I know of will even CONSIDER being on
      > > your
      > > show if they have to record things on THEIR end. That's a fact Jack.
      > >
      > > Just my opinion.....
      > >
      > > Cheers :D
      > > Pat Cook
      > > HOST - The Left Wing Conservative
      > > Englewood, CO (NEW LOCATION!!)
      > > WEBSITE - http://www.wix.com/progressivemoderates/mainwix
      > > AUDIO PODCAST - http://theleftwingwingconservative.mevio.com/
      > > VIDEO PODCAST - http://tlwctv.mevio.com
      > > SKYPE LINE - leftyconservative
      > > TWITTER - http://twitter.com/libconservative
      > > FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/pages/leftyconservative/126700177352576
      > > VOICEMAIL - 206-350-2175
      > >
      > > ________________________________

    • Steve Riekeberg
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 29, 2010
        Sadly, unless Skype has made some major changes under the hood recently, as
        far as I know there is (still) no way to get separate audio streams for the
        different people on a conference call--it's all mixed down internally, so
        it's effectively impossible even with special software. It is possible
        "outside the box," but with a relatively complex and not inexpensive
        hardware configuration, most practically involving at the very least a
        multitrack (FireWire, or USB 2.0) mixer with multiple aux sends.

        Steve Riekeberg
        Host, Geek Cred
        <http://www.geekcred.net>
        818-925-GEEK

        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 29, 2010
          I'm aware of the skype limitation, hence I want them to record their audio and forward separately.

          I'm aware that Skeptics' Guide to the Universe use this system to do their very nice podcast but I'm not sure what software they are using. I could just ask them, but I feel a bit presumptuous to do so.

          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Steve Riekeberg <missingintellect@...> wrote:

          > Sadly, unless Skype has made some major changes under the hood recently, as
          > far as I know there is (still) no way to get separate audio streams for the
          > different people on a conference call--it's all mixed down internally, so
          > it's effectively impossible even with special software. It is possible
          > "outside the box," but with a relatively complex and not inexpensive
          > hardware configuration, most practically involving at the very least a
          > multitrack (FireWire, or USB 2.0) mixer with multiple aux sends.
          >
          > Steve Riekeberg
          > Host, Geek Cred
          > <http://www.geekcred.net>
          > 818-925-GEEK
          >

          > On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 1:41 PM, supernicko79
          > <nicholas@...>wrote:
          >

          > > That's correct.
          > >
          > > For each of the hosts, I'd like them to record the audio because I can get
          > > better quality audio than if I record them all through Skype. It also means
          > > that when I have three or four hosts on that week I don't have all of them
          > > on the one track with me on the other. (Currently using Pamela on a trial
          > > basis)
          > >
          > > Any interviews I would record and deal with any sound issues.
          > >
          > > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com <podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>, Nobilis
          > > Reed <authornobilis@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Calm down, Pat.
          > > >
          > > > I'm sure that when he says "...a number of people who call in..." he's
          > > not
          > > > talking about just anyone. He's talking about a few people that he has in
          > > > regularly.

          > > YOU
          > > for

          > > below,

          > > podcast
          > > on

          > > http://www.facebook.com/pages/leftyconservative/126700177352576

        • David Jackson
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 29, 2010
            You can adjust the volume of each skype caller in skype. No need to mix
            minus, etc

            Dave Jackson
            Schoolofpodcasting.com

          • Calvin Powers
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 30, 2010
              I haven't done it recently, but in the past I have used the Total Recorder
              product from High Criteria to record skype conversations and any sort of
              audio stream on the computer. As I recall, it's even smart enough to
              separate both ends of the call into left and right channels of the audio
              stream, if you want.

              Sorry, can't remember more details. To long ago. But you might want to check
              it out.

              Calvin

              On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Steve Riekeberg <missingintellect@...

            • The Handyguys
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 30, 2010
                It can be done without collecting individual files after the recording session but its expensive. It requires a dedicated computer per caller and a mixer than can send individual channels to the recorder. Leo Laporte does this for audio and video. He calls his contraption a skypasaurus or some such thing. See http://wiki.twit.tv/wiki/Equipment and http://leoville.com/the-skypesaurus-story

                At The Handyguys Podcast we use skype for interviews occasionally. We have a mixer (MultiMix 8 USB 2.0 http://www.alesis.com/multimix8usb20 ) which we plug in the in/out from a dedicated laptop we use for the Skype calls. I cant tell you off the top of my head how we set things. We record the audio on a different puter attached to the multimix. We can then isolate the caller's audio from the two hosts in studio. Our setup sorta works like a one channel skypasaurus.

                The downside is we are at the mercy of the callers network connection and skype setup or worse their regular phone. We have said we will never interview someone via a cell phone, the quality is too poor. Skype to Skype gives us the best quality.

                You can check out our shows here http://www.handyguyspodcast.com
                one of the shows with an interview via skype is here
                http://www.handyguyspodcast.com/1060/episode-105-paint-color

                If I were you, I would just rely on the mixing within skype and record the stream. The quality will be okay to start with. Once you get further along you can look into something more sophisticated.

                Good luck