Re: [podcasters] Recording individual callers in a skype call

  • Charley Hays
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 29, 2010
      Not knowing what your setup is, my advice would be to get a portable
      recorder like the Zoom H2. You would patch a 1/8" cable from the line out
      from your sound card into the recorder. You would then monitor the
      recording with your headphones that are also plugged into the recorder.
      Look for a peak of -6 to -12 and get as close to -6 as you can.

      That way you get the best possible quality of file and you never have to
      worry about losing a recording due to a PC failure / out of memory issue.
      When its done, just make whatever edits you need and you're done. What you
      were proposing would add a ton of time to your post production .

      I hope that helps.

      --
      Charley Hays
      Cross Driven Radio

    • David Jackson
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 29, 2010
        A multi ender is not hard. If there are two hosts, the first host counts to
        four twice. Once by himself and the second time the second host jumps in. It
        makes it easy to sync the files.

        Dave Jackson
        Www.schoolofpodcasting.com

      • Paul Puri
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 29, 2010
          There is an add on for Skype that you can access in the tools section of the
          program. It is called Pamela. It has been awhile since I've used it, but it
          integrates with Skype.

          It is free for 15 minute recordings, or they sell it for about $20 US for
          unlimited. It converts the call to MP3.

          Paul Puri

          http://paulpuri.name/

          Buy stuff from me - http://podsafegear.com

          On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 9:25 AM, Charley Hays <charleyhays@...> wrote:

          > Not knowing what your setup is, my advice would be to get a portable
          > recorder like the Zoom H2. You would patch a 1/8" cable from the line out
          > from your sound card into the recorder. You would then monitor the
          > recording with your headphones that are also plugged into the recorder.
          > Look for a peak of -6 to -12 and get as close to -6 as you can.
          >
          > That way you get the best possible quality of file and you never have to
          > worry about losing a recording due to a PC failure / out of memory issue.
          > When its done, just make whatever edits you need and you're done. What you
          > were proposing would add a ton of time to your post production .
          >
          > I hope that helps.
          > On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 8:35 AM, supernicko79
          > <nicholas@...>wrote:
          >

          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > I've recently started a podcast which involves a number of people who
          > call
          > > in over Skype. To help with sound quality, I was hoping to have each
          > person
          > > record their own call which they would send in to me. I'd then extract
          > their
          > > voice from each file and use Adobe Audition to mix it all together.
          > >
          > > Now I know that Audio HiJack would be good for this for Mac but is there
          > > something that can do this for Windows? It would be helpful to have
          > > something that was free as I we have a rotating cast of people and I
          > can't
          > > afford to buy licences for everyone.
          > >
          > > Thanks for your help,
          > > Nick
          > >

          > --
          > Charley Hays
          > Cross Driven Radio
          > web: www.crossdrivenradio.com
          > podcast: www.crossdrivenpodcast.com
          > skype: charley_hays
          > twitter: www.twitter.com/charleyhays

        • supernicko79
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 29, 2010
            That's correct.

            For each of the hosts, I'd like them to record the audio because I can get better quality audio than if I record them all through Skype. It also means that when I have three or four hosts on that week I don't have all of them on the one track with me on the other. (Currently using Pamela on a trial basis)

            Any interviews I would record and deal with any sound issues.

            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Nobilis Reed <authornobilis@...> wrote:

            > Calm down, Pat.
            >
            > I'm sure that when he says "...a number of people who call in..." he's not
            > talking about just anyone. He's talking about a few people that he has in
            > regularly.
            >

            > On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 11:08 AM, Pat Cook <patsblogs@...> wrote:
            >

            > > Have guests record their conversations with you ON THEIR END to be sent to
            > > you????? Please tell me you're not serious about this.
            > >
            > > I think it's PODCAST SUICIDE
            > >
            > > Would you call a talk show on a terrestrial radio station knowing that YOU
            > > would
            > > have to be the one to record the call to be sent to the radio station for
            > > later
            > > broadcast?
            > >
            > > Seriously dude, if you can't do better than what you've come up with below,
            > >
            > > you're better off NOT taking live calls during the podcast recording &
            > > pre-recording your interviews IN ADVANCE OF the recording of your podcast
            > > episode. I say this because NO ONE I know of will even CONSIDER being on
            > > your
            > > show if they have to record things on THEIR end. That's a fact Jack.
            > >
            > > Just my opinion.....
            > >
            > > Cheers :D
            > > Pat Cook
            > > HOST - The Left Wing Conservative
            > > Englewood, CO (NEW LOCATION!!)
            > > WEBSITE - http://www.wix.com/progressivemoderates/mainwix
            > > AUDIO PODCAST - http://theleftwingwingconservative.mevio.com/
            > > VIDEO PODCAST - http://tlwctv.mevio.com
            > > SKYPE LINE - leftyconservative
            > > TWITTER - http://twitter.com/libconservative
            > > FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/pages/leftyconservative/126700177352576
            > > VOICEMAIL - 206-350-2175
            > >
            > > ________________________________

          • Steve Riekeberg
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 29, 2010
              Sadly, unless Skype has made some major changes under the hood recently, as
              far as I know there is (still) no way to get separate audio streams for the
              different people on a conference call--it's all mixed down internally, so
              it's effectively impossible even with special software. It is possible
              "outside the box," but with a relatively complex and not inexpensive
              hardware configuration, most practically involving at the very least a
              multitrack (FireWire, or USB 2.0) mixer with multiple aux sends.

              Steve Riekeberg
              Host, Geek Cred
              <http://www.geekcred.net>
              818-925-GEEK

              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 29, 2010
                I'm aware of the skype limitation, hence I want them to record their audio and forward separately.

                I'm aware that Skeptics' Guide to the Universe use this system to do their very nice podcast but I'm not sure what software they are using. I could just ask them, but I feel a bit presumptuous to do so.

                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 29, 2010
                  You can adjust the volume of each skype caller in skype. No need to mix
                  minus, etc

                  Dave Jackson
                  Schoolofpodcasting.com

                • Calvin Powers
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 30, 2010
                    I haven't done it recently, but in the past I have used the Total Recorder
                    product from High Criteria to record skype conversations and any sort of
                    audio stream on the computer. As I recall, it's even smart enough to
                    separate both ends of the call into left and right channels of the audio
                    stream, if you want.

                    Sorry, can't remember more details. To long ago. But you might want to check
                    it out.

                    Calvin

                    On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Steve Riekeberg <missingintellect@...

                  • The Handyguys
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 30, 2010
                      It can be done without collecting individual files after the recording session but its expensive. It requires a dedicated computer per caller and a mixer than can send individual channels to the recorder. Leo Laporte does this for audio and video. He calls his contraption a skypasaurus or some such thing. See http://wiki.twit.tv/wiki/Equipment and http://leoville.com/the-skypesaurus-story

                      At The Handyguys Podcast we use skype for interviews occasionally. We have a mixer (MultiMix 8 USB 2.0 http://www.alesis.com/multimix8usb20 ) which we plug in the in/out from a dedicated laptop we use for the Skype calls. I cant tell you off the top of my head how we set things. We record the audio on a different puter attached to the multimix. We can then isolate the caller's audio from the two hosts in studio. Our setup sorta works like a one channel skypasaurus.

                      The downside is we are at the mercy of the callers network connection and skype setup or worse their regular phone. We have said we will never interview someone via a cell phone, the quality is too poor. Skype to Skype gives us the best quality.

                      You can check out our shows here http://www.handyguyspodcast.com
                      one of the shows with an interview via skype is here
                      http://www.handyguyspodcast.com/1060/episode-105-paint-color

                      If I were you, I would just rely on the mixing within skype and record the stream. The quality will be okay to start with. Once you get further along you can look into something more sophisticated.

                      Good luck