Can anybody help out there?

  • zzippster
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 24, 2010
      I`m having trouble setting up Podproducer using Windows XP. Equipment used: Sontronics STC-2 microphone thru USB Alesis MultiMix 4 mixer.

      I can record thru the mike but the music and other buttons do not record (or they seem to record in bad quality thru the mic. Any idea on settings for good quality podcast?

      Thanks for your help in advance.
      Peter

      P.S. Show 16 of my Podcast is now online at http://www.zzipp.podomatic.com Usind Audacity at the moment, but want to produce the show quicker. I`m sure Podproducer will help... If only I could get it working!!!
    • danhughes@juno.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 24, 2010
        Peter, I checked out the Podproducer web site, and their forum board is the worst I have ever seen for nonsense and spam. What a mess!

        Just click on some messages and their responses:

        http://tinyurl.com/2elvp7q

        ---Dan Hughes, http://danhughes.net

        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 28, 2010
          Just for grins (And FWIW), I got PodProducer Beta 0.28 running on my Windows
          Vista laptop. Must be a Windows XP specific issue you're experiencing Peter as
          I can't duplicate it with this machine (My Desktop has Windows XP on it but
          since I'm not tech support for the company that makes it..... *Heheheh!* :) )

          That said, I may as well post a review on the program since I went to the
          trouble of downloading & installing it.....

          Nifty little program BUT.....

          * It seems to be a bit CPU intensive - I know because my system slowed down
          considerably after I opened PodProducer & Windows Task Manager shows it as
          consuming nearly 20K of memory while ManyCam, a webcam application which BY
          NATURE is CPU intensive is only using only over 10% of that - Or just over 2K
          for those who don't have a calculator handy

          * It DOES NOT come with an OPTIONS or PREFERENCES dialog (THIS IS A **MUST** FOR
          ANY APP)

          * You can't edit with it (An ABSOLUTE must)

          * No VIDEO playback or capturing option (Another ABSOLUTE must nowadays)

          Beyond that - Not bad for Betaware. I might even try it out on my next radio
          show when I resume it next month (Since it has no video support, I wouldn't even
          consider it for my TV show though).

          Just my review on it.....

          Cheers :D
          Pat Cook
          HOST - The Left Wing Conservative
          Englewood, CO (NEW LOCATION!!)
          WEBSITE - http://www.wix.com/progressivemoderates/mainwix
          AUDIO PODCAST - http://theleftwingwingconservative.mevio.com/
          VIDEO PODCAST - http://tlwctv.mevio.com
          SKYPE LINE - leftyconservative
          TWITTER - http://twitter.com/libconservative
          FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/pages/leftyconservative/126700177352576
          VOICEMAIL - 206-350-2175

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 28, 2010
            This program is for recording a live show. The nice thing is when you're
            done, your upload and do show notes and you're done. If you want to do
            editing, save the file as a wav, edit it in Sony Sound Forge (or whatever)
            and then convert to an mp3. that kind of defeats the point. It assumes you
            have all the audio done, sounds, music, and ou put those in place and then
            hit play and talk in the sequence you want.

            Dave Jackson
            www.schoolofpodcasting.com

            On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 4:09 AM, Pat Cook <patsblogs@...> wrote:

            > Just for grins (And FWIW), I got PodProducer Beta 0.28 running on my
            > Windows
            > Vista laptop. Must be a Windows XP specific issue you're experiencing Peter
            > as
            > I can't duplicate it with this machine (My Desktop has Windows XP on it but
            >
            > since I'm not tech support for the company that makes it..... *Heheheh!* :)
            > )
            >
            > That said, I may as well post a review on the program since I went to the
            > trouble of downloading & installing it.....
            >
            > Nifty little program BUT.....
            >
            > * It seems to be a bit CPU intensive - I know because my system slowed down
            >
            > considerably after I opened PodProducer & Windows Task Manager shows it as
            > consuming nearly 20K of memory while ManyCam, a webcam application which BY
            >
            > NATURE is CPU intensive is only using only over 10% of that - Or just over
            > 2K
            > for those who don't have a calculator handy
            >
            > * It DOES NOT come with an OPTIONS or PREFERENCES dialog (THIS IS A
            > **MUST** FOR
            > ANY APP)
            >
            > * You can't edit with it (An ABSOLUTE must)
            >
            > * No VIDEO playback or capturing option (Another ABSOLUTE must nowadays)
            >
            > Beyond that - Not bad for Betaware. I might even try it out on my next
            > radio
            > show when I resume it next month (Since it has no video support, I wouldn't
            > even
            > consider it for my TV show though).
            >
            > Just my review on it.....
            >
            > Cheers :D
            > Pat Cook
            > HOST - The Left Wing Conservative
            > Englewood, CO (NEW LOCATION!!)
            > WEBSITE - http://www.wix.com/progressivemoderates/mainwix
            > AUDIO PODCAST - http://theleftwingwingconservative.mevio.com/
            > VIDEO PODCAST - http://tlwctv.mevio.com
            > SKYPE LINE - leftyconservative
            > TWITTER - http://twitter.com/libconservative
            > FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/pages/leftyconservative/126700177352576
            > VOICEMAIL - 206-350-2175
            >
            > ________________________________

          • Pat Cook
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 28, 2010
              Well a live show is what I do.

              I stream the show LIVE via my radio station on SHOUTcast. However I would use
              PodProducer to record the show since it can play the opening & closing theme
              music. This would leave Winamp only for the playback of podcast promos & other
              cool stuff during breaks since it can do so in playlist fashion whereas
              PodProducer cannot because it would have to be manually prompted to play back
              each track (Kinda hard to do that if you're in "Da Little Boys" Room ;) )

              That said, I wish it had video support as I could use it for my TV show (Which
              is mainly on UStream) as well since I downloaded nearly all the video podcast
              promos from YouTube & the PodcastPickle board (ManyCam supposedly has this
              feature but ever since the company that puts it out tried reinventing the
              program by selling its soul to MICROSHIT in the latest version, ManyCam just
              hasn't been the same when it comes to video playback >:( ).

            • Ed Morgan
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 28, 2010
                Hi everyone,
                I thought I would give you all a link to my show that I have finally been able to get online. It still isn't as good as I would like it to be, but hopefully I will improve over time. The show is called The Parrot Hut, and is targeted to all parrot owners, or those interested in getting a parrot of any kind, from Budgies to Macaws. If anyone here would like to check it out and send me your thoughts on the show, my e-mail is given in every show. I started out doing an hour, but reduced it to a 30 minute show each week. My links are below. Thanks to everyone here for providing invaluable information on podcasting. I have learned so much from this group, and can't say enough how much I appreciate all of you for being out there for those of us just getting started.
                If you think you have a show that would be of interest to my growing audience, I am looking for some podcasts to work out a cross promotion with. I am working on three different promos to pick from, a 30, 45 and 60 second promo. If you would like something that is specifically made for your show, we can talk about that as well. Just contact me off privately and we can discuss what you would like to do. My show has already developed a decent amount of listeners. I have been working on this idea for a while now, so I had a large following prior to starting the podcast. So the numbers are building up fairly well, even though I want to see more than what we have so far. But I'm sure that is the case for most podcasts when they start out. Thanks for your time, and again, thanks for all of you that have supplied great tips on building a show.

                Regards,
                Ed Morgan

                Web Site: http://www.parrothut.com
                Podcast: http://www.parrothut.com/podcasts/
                Facebook Group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=111703812201604
                Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/parrotflock

              • Pat Cook
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 28, 2010
                  You could start by putting spaces between your paragraphs in your posts. The
                  way it looks below is the way I got it. Looks almost like legalese in a
                  contract.

                  JMO though.....

[...]

                • C. Hatton Humphrey
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 28, 2010

                    > You could start by putting spaces between your paragraphs in your posts.
                    > The
                    > way it looks below is the way I got it. Looks almost like legalese in a
                    > contract.
                    >
                    > JMO though.....
                    >
                    > You're not the only one to think that!

                    Until Later!
                    C. Hatton Humphrey
                    http://www.eastcoastconservative.com

                    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of
                    electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

                  • Ed Morgan
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 28, 2010
                      Sorry, didn't take into account that some people might have eyesight issues. I'll work on that. I didn't realize this was a forum on posting critiques, I thought it was on podcasting. :) My bad. I will focus more on that next time. I hope I have made this post easier for you to read. Sorry for the inconvenience.

                      Regards,
                      Ed M.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 28, 2010
                        I don't have eyesight issues nor is this a forum on posting critiques.

                        But seperating your paragraphs with spaces not only make your posts easier to
                        read but is just simply proper netiquette :)

                        Now before we inspire someone to create a podcast on netiquette.....Back to
                        podcasting :)

                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 28, 2010
                          think
                          we
                          also
                          created
                          an
                          opportunity
                          for
                          podcast
                          on
                          eyesight
                          issues.

                          So is that better? I have never felt the need to have people post in bullet points, which is essentially what you are asking. I've been on the net for years, and have never heard that request. I can think of another word for it, and it isn't "netiquette".

                          Ed

                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 28, 2010
                            Ed, nobody was insulting you. We're all compadres here.

                            A friendly suggestion was made that you write in paragraphs, with blank lines between them. Your initial note was so crammed together that I gave up about a third of the way into it.

                            See? This kind of writing is much easier to read, and it doesn't take any longer to do.

                            By the way, how can you talk for a half hour a week about parrots? My topics are treasure hunting and adult slowpitch softball, and after two years it's difficult for me to come up with new ideas for biweekly five-minute shows!

                            Best,

                            ---Dan, http://danhughes.net

                          • Will Brown
                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 28, 2010
                              An important thing to know about Podproducer. That beta was released in
                              2008!
                              Hasn't been touched since.

                              It's a great program though. I record my podcast live into my Edirol, so I
                              only use PodProducer to play my intro music, poetry mp3s, songs, etc.
                              Basically it's a soundboard.
                              I don't use any of the recording features.

                              ======================
                              http://www.CloudyDayArt.com - Poetry Podcast

                              On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 12:08 PM, Pat Cook <patsblogs@...> wrote:

                              > Well a live show is what I do.
                              >
                              > I stream the show LIVE via my radio station on SHOUTcast. However I would
                              > use
                              > PodProducer to record the show since it can play the opening & closing
                              > theme
                              > music. This would leave Winamp only for the playback of podcast promos &
                              > other
                              > cool stuff during breaks since it can do so in playlist fashion whereas
                              > PodProducer cannot because it would have to be manually prompted to play
                              > back
                              > each track (Kinda hard to do that if you're in "Da Little Boys" Room ;) )
                              >
                              > That said, I wish it had video support as I could use it for my TV show
                              > (Which
                              > is mainly on UStream) as well since I downloaded nearly all the video
                              > podcast
                              > promos from YouTube & the PodcastPickle board (ManyCam supposedly has this
                              > feature but ever since the company that puts it out tried reinventing the
                              > program by selling its soul to MICROSHIT in the latest version, ManyCam
                              > just
                              > hasn't been the same when it comes to video playback >:( ).
                              >

                              > Cheers :D
                              > Pat Cook
                              > HOST - The Left Wing Conservative
                              > Englewood, CO (NEW LOCATION!!)
                              > WEBSITE - http://www.wix.com/progressivemoderates/mainwix
                              > AUDIO PODCAST - http://theleftwingwingconservative.mevio.com/
                              > VIDEO PODCAST - http://tlwctv.mevio.com
                              > SKYPE LINE - leftyconservative
                              > TWITTER - http://twitter.com/libconservative
                              > FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/pages/leftyconservative/126700177352576
                              > VOICEMAIL - 206-350-2175
                              >
                              > ________________________________

                            • Ed Morgan
                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 28, 2010
                                Actually, I did put a space between paragraphs. What you are all doing is putting spaces between sentences, which is a big difference.

                                But, I don't want to make things hard on people, so I guess I will try to make my posts simpler. While this may be easier to read, it is a degradation of the common structures of the English language, but that is another story.

                                I actually could talk for an hour about birds, as there are dozens of topics on them, and the field is constantly building new knowledge and issues every day. I cut it down to 30 minutes to make it easier to listen to and easier for me to make each episode. Adult slow-pitch softball? Treasure hunting? Those are some unique areas to talk about!

                                Ed

                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 28, 2010
                                  Give it up Dan. Ed obviously offends easily (You should've seen what he sent to
                                  me off list when I asked about one of his paragraphs being in large fonts.
                                  Without quoting him as that would be against netiquette - See the definition
                                  @ http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/netiquette to see what it means Ed), he
                                  basically said I must have eyesight problems if I couldn't read his email.
                                  As most everybody here knows, I don't normally I don't post in this manner, but
                                  I thought I'd do so in this case to show what Ed's messages look like to the
                                  rest of us (Assuming you can even read it that is) since Ed has gone from being
                                  civil & like everybody else here to being ridiculous and a wuss.
                                  Now what's it like to be the RECIPIENT of a post like yours Ed?
                                  Who has the eyesight problem NOW??
                                  Now, as I said previously, let's get back to podcasting before we inspire
                                  someone to start a podcast on netiquette (As well as incur the wrath of the mods
                                  too :) ).

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 28, 2010
                                    Ed: "Adult slow-pitch softball? Treasure hunting? Those are some unique areas to talk about!"
                                    I think parrots are a more unique topic than either of mine!

                                    There are several thousand treasure hunters in the US (and by "treasure hunters" I mean mainly folks who use metal detectors to find coins and jewelry), and over a million softball players.

                                    I've written books on both topics, and the podcasts help to sell the books.

                                    I also do a weekly old-time radio podcast which I make no money from. I started it as a show for our local "reading for the sight-impaired" radio station, and I decided to put it on the internet too. The work is already done, so why not.

                                    ---Dan's shows:
                                    http://thetreasurecorner.com
                                    http://thesoftballcorner.com
                                    http://radiofun.info

                                  • Erk Pod
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Sep 28, 2010
                                      Add another vote for Podproducer as a soundboard only.

                                      Erk

                                      --
                                      Erk, Sydney (Australia)
                                      Channel Erk podcasts

                                      Host & Producer: Erk Pod, Erk FM, Echo Romeo Kilo, Blast From The
                                      Past, Insomnia Radio: Australia

                                      Producer: Judy's Blast FM.

                                      Find all 5 podcasts on Channel Erk. There is a podcast for everyone!

                                      http://www.channelerk.com
                                      http://australia.insomniaradio.net

                                      erkpod@...

                                      Skype: erkpod
                                      Twitter: @erkpod (personal)
                                      Twitter: @erkfm & @iraustralia (music)
                                      Voicemail: 02 8003 6905 (Australia)
                                      Voicemail: 661-524-5ERK (US)

                                      A member of the Association of Music Podcasting (AMP)
                                      http://musicpodcasting.org
                                    • Ed Morgan
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Sep 28, 2010
                                        Jeez, talk about getting offended easily, you obviously don't have a sense of humor at all. Personally, I am not offended, nor am I bothered by the comments made by the three of you. I wrote you privately, since that was more about your show, and less about this, so I felt it didn't belong here. I think you should check that definition for yourself, Pat, as there is nothing there that says you have to follow every sentence with a space. This is the first time I have seen you post, Pat, using the good old proper formatting of a letter, and it is just fine with me. I can read it just fine and there are no unnecessary spaces breaking up the message or the intent. Can you find it anywhere on the Internet that states it is good form to post spaces between each sentence? I doubt it.
                                        The fact is, some people here need to have post broken into small segments to hold their attention. I get that, and don't have a problem with it. I just think it is a little sad that society has come to that. But that's life. If you have a problem with anything I have said, I'm sorry. Try to have a sense of humor about life sometimes, and maybe it will go down a little easier. As for my eyesight, it is completely and totally fachizzled beyond belief. But thanks to these new fangled things called eyeglasses, I see just fine. That's until my Cockatoo steals them, then I'm blind as a bat. Whoa! There's a new topic for my podcast! :) Anyway, you should try these things. They do wonders for reading things.

                                        Lighten up, people!!

                                        Regards,
                                        Ed

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Sep 29, 2010
                                          Really? I never would have thought about either of those, no offense.

                                          There are actually six million bird owners in the US alone, so my market is actually fairly large. Most of those people are female, average income of $50,000+ per year, with broadband Internet access. But getting them to actually listen is still a trick in itself.

                                          I have 25 years of experience with all sorts of birds, from Budgies to Macaws, in breeding, raising, proper care, first aid, and so on. While I am working on a book, it has nothing to do with parrots, except there might be one in it.

                                          I live in Florida, so I imagine your treasure hunting podcast would be of an interest to a few people down here. I see those guys every day, if I am on the beach that day.

                                          For me, I don't know if I could take another thing in the house that beeps. My birds already do a great imitation of the phone, microwave, and doorbell. I don't want to give them anymore material in that department.

                                          Ed

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Sep 29, 2010
                                            Ed,

                                            Passive aggressiveness is an art form, so, you're doing it wrong. Leave it
                                            to the professionals.

                                            I like the show. I like it a lot. It sounds good on my computer speakers,
                                            which are cheap. The theme song seemed strange at first, but it actually
                                            suits it very well. Your voice is soothing, and it is obvious that the
                                            subject matter is important to you.

                                            The negatives, if you want to call them that:

                                            The blog link took me nowhere. Probably a Turkish hacker.

                                            There does not seem to be a way to play an episode from the site. A visitor
                                            should not have to subscribe to sample the show. If there is a way, it is
                                            cleverly hidden.

                                            Otherwise, great work. It is obviously a labor of love, and I hope it is all
                                            you want it to be.

                                            Paul Puri

                                            http://paulpuri.name/

                                            Buy stuff from me - http://podsafegear.com

                                            On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 12:00 AM, Ed Morgan <parrotflock@...> wrote:

                                            > Really? I never would have thought about either of those, no offense.
                                            >
                                            > There are actually six million bird owners in the US alone, so my market is
                                            > actually fairly large. Most of those people are female, average income of
                                            > $50,000+ per year, with broadband Internet access. But getting them to
                                            > actually listen is still a trick in itself.
                                            >
                                            > I have 25 years of experience with all sorts of birds, from Budgies to
                                            > Macaws, in breeding, raising, proper care, first aid, and so on. While I am
                                            > working on a book, it has nothing to do with parrots, except there might be
                                            > one in it.
                                            >
                                            > I live in Florida, so I imagine your treasure hunting podcast would be of
                                            > an interest to a few people down here. I see those guys every day, if I am
                                            > on the beach that day.
                                            >
                                            > For me, I don't know if I could take another thing in the house that beeps.
                                            > My birds already do a great imitation of the phone, microwave, and doorbell.
                                            > I don't want to give them anymore material in that department.
                                            >
                                            > Ed

                                          • Paul Puri
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Sep 29, 2010
                                              By the way.....

                                              I would love to see some Parrot Idol with you and your Parrot!

                                              Cheers,

                                              On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 12:33 AM, Paul Puri <paulpuri@...> wrote:

                                              > Ed,
                                              >
                                              > Passive aggressiveness is an art form, so, you're doing it wrong. Leave it
                                              > to the professionals.
                                              >
                                              > I like the show. I like it a lot. It sounds good on my computer speakers,
                                              > which are cheap. The theme song seemed strange at first, but it actually
                                              > suits it very well. Your voice is soothing, and it is obvious that the
                                              > subject matter is important to you.
                                              >
                                              > The negatives, if you want to call them that:
                                              >
                                              > The blog link took me nowhere. Probably a Turkish hacker.
                                              >
                                              > There does not seem to be a way to play an episode from the site. A visitor
                                              > should not have to subscribe to sample the show. If there is a way, it is
                                              > cleverly hidden.
                                              >
                                              > Otherwise, great work. It is obviously a labor of love, and I hope it is
                                              > all you want it to be.
                                              >

                                              > Paul Puri
                                              >
                                              > The most interesting person you will never meet!
                                              >
                                              > http://paulpuri.name/
                                              >
                                              > Buy stuff from me - http://podsafegear.com
                                              >

                                              > On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 12:00 AM, Ed Morgan <parrotflock@...> wrote:
                                              >
                                              >> Really? I never would have thought about either of those, no offense.
                                              >>
                                              >> There are actually six million bird owners in the US alone, so my market
                                              >> is actually fairly large. Most of those people are female, average income of
                                              >> $50,000+ per year, with broadband Internet access. But getting them to
                                              >> actually listen is still a trick in itself.
                                              >>
                                              >> I have 25 years of experience with all sorts of birds, from Budgies to
                                              >> Macaws, in breeding, raising, proper care, first aid, and so on. While I am
                                              >> working on a book, it has nothing to do with parrots, except there might be
                                              >> one in it.
                                              >>
                                              >> I live in Florida, so I imagine your treasure hunting podcast would be of
                                              >> an interest to a few people down here. I see those guys every day, if I am
                                              >> on the beach that day.
                                              >>
                                              >> For me, I don't know if I could take another thing in the house that
                                              >> beeps. My birds already do a great imitation of the phone, microwave, and
                                              >> doorbell. I don't want to give them anymore material in that department.
                                              >>
                                              >> Ed

                                            • Ed Morgan
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Sep 29, 2010
                                                Hi Paul,

                                                Yeah, our hacker friend did a number on the site, and I am still working to reconnect things to their rightful places, so the blog is still not in the right place. I do now have the ability to play the podcast from the site at www.parrothut.com/TPH/ which is the wordpress page for the podcast. I haven't been able to figure out how to link that in. I guess I could direct the links to that page, which I did for a while. I would prefer to use that page anyway, but I thought people could play the podcasts directly from the feedburner page. I know there was a link, but I've never tried it. I am working on the blog issue, and that should be corrected this weekend. Thanks for the critique.