podcaster blog / basic points

  • Jean Scholtes
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
      Hi all

      I started a blog yesterday, http://podcasters.blogspot.com
      It's just an outline and more to come, my first post raises some
      basic points.

      Let's discuss !

      Jean
    • andrew clarke
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
        On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 09:20:42AM -0000, Jean Scholtes wrote:

        > I started a blog yesterday, http://podcasters.blogspot.com
        > It's just an outline and more to come, my first post raises some
        > basic points.

        One of your questions is "What are the best (integrated) tools for
        recording and editing ?"

        Well, I don't know about the best, but I've been using Kristal Audio
        Engine on Windows XP for a few months now to record music and it struck
        me that it would be ideal for putting together a podcast, particularly
        where you want fine control over audio levels, effects, etc. during the
        post-production stage. Here is what I wrote in the comments section of
        Dave Slusher's Evil Genius Chronicles weblog earlier this week:

        "People wanting to put together a podcast using the method Dave Slusher
        uses (ie. not recorded live in one take, but rather recorded in segments
        then edited to fit together) might want to check out Kristal Audio
        Engine at http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/. It's a multitrack recorder
        that I believe is free for personal use. I think it's mainly designed
        for recording music but it seems ideal for podcasters too, because you
        can also import .wav files with it, and do fades. One of the best
        features though is that you can move individual segments of audio
        horizontally along the time scale so that they sync up right where you
        want them. This is probably best seen than described. I think my only
        dislike about Kristal is that the UI could be improved by having its
        windows appear on the desktop outside of Kristal's main window (similar
        to the Borland Delphi or C++ Builder UI, if people are familiar with
        that)."

        You asked about integration in recording/editing tools, which can only
        go so far, eg. somebody might want to include a clip of an iTunes song
        that has had DRM applied to it, so it may be difficult or impossible for
        any software other than iTunes itself to play it, but if you can use the
        method below, you're set to go.

        Matthew Bischoff had a question about how to record the sound made by
        other applications in Windows, to which I replied:

        "In the Windows Recording Control you may be able to set the recording
        input to "What U Hear" or similar. This is what it's called for my SB
        Live card, at least. On my laptop it's called "Sum". You may need to go
        into Options|Properties to find and enable it so you can select it.
        Start recording and anything you play from another application should
        then be recorded. There is also a program called Total Recorder which
        can be used for this, but the last time I looked at it (version 3.0 I
        think) you had to use the recording program included with it, and, from
        memory, you could only record the output from one application. I think
        its main advantage was that it worked entirely digitally, so it was good
        for format shifting, whereas the "What U Hear" method might work in the
        analogue circuit of the sound card, but still, that's good enough. Also,
        I suppose it's good for systems with sound cards (or sound card drivers)
        that don't provide a "What U Hear" or "Sum" recording input. As for
        routing audio between applications in Windows... beats me. I'd be
        interested in finding out."

        And also, some more tips:

        "Creating desktop (or Start Menu) shortcut named "Recording Control"
        that runs "sndvol32.exe /r" is very useful for anyone recording audio in
        Windows, since it avoids having to doubleclick on the Volume Control
        icon in the taskbar and wade through the menus."

        "You can cue up more than one audio file in Winamp by running multiple
        copies of Winamp at once. Winamp won't allow this by default though. You
        need to go into Winamp's preferences and enable "Allow multiple
        instances"."

        Two other programs for Windows that I use regularly that may come in
        handy for podcasters are MixMP3 and mp3DirectCut.

        MixMP3 allows you to record from a Windows sound source direct to MP3.
        The way I use it is described at http://www.ozzmosis.com/direct-to-mp3/.

        mp3DirectCut allows you do lossless edits on MP3 files. This may be
        useful for people wanting to make accurate edits of MP3 files from
        other podcasts (or songs, etc) for excerpts. This may also be useful to
        some podcast listeners.

        Finally, while LAME (and the Windows front-end, RazorLame) works great
        as a WAV to MP3 (and MP3 to WAV) covnerter, you can also do MP3 to MP3
        conversions, meaning you can reencode MP3s at lower bitrates, which may
        be useful for listeners wanting smaller files to listen to on their
        portable players. This may also be useful for anybody with portable
        players that don't support VBR (variable bitrate) MP3s.

        Regards
        Andrew
      • andrew clarke
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
          On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 09:20:42AM -0000, Jean Scholtes wrote:

          > I started a blog yesterday, http://podcasters.blogspot.com

          You ask, "What about the (potentially huge) costs of outbound bandwidth ?":

          BitTorrent will help here, but after using it for a while I'm starting
          to wonder how well BitTorrent trackers scale with thousands of peers
          trying to connect to it. I suppose the solution to that would be to
          have a network of BT trackers connected to and talking to each other,
          and some sort of round-robin DNS system to prevent any one tracker being
          overloaded. Maybe this has already been done.

          Another option is to have volunteers automatically mirror your podcasts.
          Some of your listeners may have plenty of spare web space and might be
          happy to host some of your MP3s. You could then have several links on
          your "root" site which allow the listener to choose which mirror they
          download your enclosures from, or perhaps a script that chooses a mirror
          at random. Presumably the mirrors would each need their own RSS 2.0
          feed because the URLs for the enclosures would be different for each
          mirror. You would probably want to host the mirrors' RSS feed files on
          the "root" web server.

          Regards
          Andrew
        • andrew clarke
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
            Just some quick links to the Windows programs that may be useful to
            podcasters that I mentioned in my previous message (but forgot to link
            to):

            Kristal Audio Engine: http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/

            Winamp: http://www.winamp.com/

            MixMP3: http://ldb.tpv.ru/

            mp3DirectCut: http://www.mpesch3.de1.cc/#mp3dc

            RazorLame: http://www.dors.de/razorlame/

            MP3Utility: http://www.geocities.com/mp3utility/

            One tool that I'm not sure about is something to edit ID3v1 & ID3v2 tags
            under Windows. I know Winamp can do this but if you're regularly
            publishing MP3s then it's probably error-prone and not practical to edit
            the tags all by hand. Some sort of program that can import/export ID3v1
            & ID3v2 tags to/from text (or XML?) would be handy. What are Mac OS X
            people using for this?

            Regards
            Andrew
          • Gordon Smith
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
              I've been playing with "ID3-TagIT". It's a bit of overkill for what
              most people might want though:
              http://www.id3-tagit.de/english/index.htm

              --
              Gordon Smith

[...]