Recommendations for Web Host

  • juniper_bec
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 15 11:30 PM
      Hello- wondering if any veterans could recommend a good host for the podcasts that I am about to launch? What makes a host desirable? Thanks for sharing your wisdom! :) Rebecca
    • Nobilis Reed
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 16 3:09 AM
        Libsyn has many advantages if you're serious about it, not the least of
        which is that you don't have to pay any bandwidth charges.

        --
        Weekly audio stories -- Nobilis Erotica: http://nobilis.libsyn.com
        -----

      • danhughes@juno.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 16 6:09 AM
          Rebecca, I second the Libsyn recommendation. I've been using them for over two years, and I something like 125 podcasts up. The nice thing about Libsyn is that you don't have to take old ones down when you put up new ones - you can just grow and grow and grow, for five bucks a month.

          I wish they had more "skins" to choose from. You can make your own skin, but that takes more knowledge than I have, so I just picked one of their stock choices.

          I have three different shows, all on the same account:

          http://thetreasurecorner.com
          http://thesoftballcorner.com
          http://radiofun.info

          ---Dan Hughes

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 16 7:13 AM
            Add me as a third recommendation for Libsyn. I've been using them for 5
            years and over 300 podcasts and they've done nothing other than get better.
            The current statistics engine is really very nice and has allowed me to do
            some interesting things with tracking the number of listeners the show has.
            Which is very important if you ever want to get to the point of having
            sponsors. I don't use Libsyn for their web page and so far I haven't taken
            the plunge to get a iTunes app created, but that's definitely something I
            want to look into some time in the future.

            Martin

            Martin McKeay
            CISSP, QSA
            Network Security Blog and Podcast
            http://www.mckeay.net
            http://netsecpodcast.com
            Twitter: @McKeay
            Cell: 707-495-7926

            "mount -t /coffee /proc/awake /dev/brain" returns "mount : cannot find
            filesystem /dev/brain"

            "If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, then you will
            be hacked. What's more, you deserve to be hacked." - Richard Clarke

            On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 6:09 AM, danhughes@... <danhughes@...>wrote:

            > Rebecca, I second the Libsyn recommendation. I've been using them for over
            > two years, and I something like 125 podcasts up. The nice thing about
            > Libsyn is that you don't have to take old ones down when you put up new ones
            > - you can just grow and grow and grow, for five bucks a month.
            >
            > I wish they had more "skins" to choose from. You can make your own skin,
            > but that takes more knowledge than I have, so I just picked one of their
            > stock choices.
            >
            > I have three different shows, all on the same account:
            >
            > http://thetreasurecorner.com
            > http://thesoftballcorner.com
            > http://radiofun.info
            >
            > ---Dan Hughes

          • Shawn Thorpe
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 16 7:51 PM
              I think the best setup for podcast hosting is to use LibSyn to host the
              media files on the back end and then to self-host a WordPress installation
              as your main site. There are plenty of good hosts for handling the WordPress
              side. Dreamhost is popular (come on with the discount codes, everybody...)
              as is HostGator. It's generally not advisable to use GoDaddy to host a
              podcasting site, as users have had problems with them in the past. (They're
              fine for domains, though.)

              On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 11:30 PM, juniper_bec <juniper_bec@...> wrote:

              > Hello- wondering if any veterans could recommend a good host for the
              > podcasts that I am about to launch? What makes a host desirable? Thanks for
              > sharing your wisdom! :) Rebecca

              --
              -Shawn Thorpe
              http://geminidragon.tv/ - stuff, we make it
              http://shawnogram.com/ - multimedia blog
              http://booksandwich.com/ - book reviews and more
              http://haikuoffrustration.com/ - submit your own!

            • Michael Johnson
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 16 8:30 PM
                I use libsyn to host the files and powweb to host my domain.

                Thanks
                Mike
                Learn the secrets to staying pure on campus in:
                The Cross Campus Ministry Podcast,
                A Podcast for Christian College Students and youth in itunes and at crosscampusministry.com

                I think the best setup for podcast hosting is to use LibSyn to host the
                media files on the back end and then to self-host a WordPress installation
                as your main site. There are plenty of good hosts for handling the WordPress
                side. Dreamhost is popular (come on with the discount codes, everybody...)
                as is HostGator. It's generally not advisable to use GoDaddy to host a
                podcasting site, as users have had problems with them in the past. (They're
                fine for domains, though.)

                On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 11:30 PM, juniper_bec <juniper_bec@...> wrote:

                > Hello- wondering if any veterans could recommend a good host for the
                > podcasts that I am about to launch? What makes a host desirable? Thanks for
                > sharing your wisdom! :) Rebecca

                --
                -Shawn Thorpe
                http://geminidragon.tv/ - stuff, we make it
                http://shawnogram.com/ - multimedia blog
                http://booksandwich.com/ - book reviews and more
                http://haikuoffrustration.com/ - submit your own!

              • David Jackson
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 17 4:17 AM
                  I agree. Hosting your own wordpress give you total control, and with Libsyn
                  (or blubrry) as your media host you are good to go. If you only have a
                  budget for one or the other, I have seen where people will use dreamweaver
                  to create their website and then post that into the libsyn template. (see
                  dimacast.com)

                  Dave Jackson
                  www.schoolofpodcasting.com
                  www.morepodcastmoney.com

                  On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 10:51 PM, Shawn Thorpe <shawnogordo@...>wrote:

                  > I think the best setup for podcast hosting is to use LibSyn to host the
                  > media files on the back end and then to self-host a WordPress installation
                  > as your main site. There are plenty of good hosts for handling the
                  > WordPress
                  > side. Dreamhost is popular (come on with the discount codes, everybody...)
                  > as is HostGator. It's generally not advisable to use GoDaddy to host a
                  > podcasting site, as users have had problems with them in the past. (They're
                  > fine for domains, though.)

                • juniper_bec
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 21 7:44 PM
                    Just wanted to thank the group for all the responses! Sounds like Libsyn would be the best choice. I am going to sign up once I decide on my show names. :)