Re: [podcasters] Tips for interviews

  • Steve Riekeberg
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2010
      Hey Stephen,

      After doing Geek Cred for nearly four years now, as an interview-centric
      show I can say it's certainly very fun rewarding.

      Many of the points you mentioned are similar to advice that I would
      give, most of all /just ask. /(I've had people often ask "how'd you get
      <Guest XYZ>?!" Well, you don't get what you don't ask for...)

      However, I do take exception to sharing your questions with the gust
      ahead of time. It is most assuredly important to write up a list of
      questions in advance, but I specifically do /not/ share them with the
      guest. I totally understand the reasoning of wanting the guest to be
      prepared and ready when you bring something up, but at the same time
      some guests will take that list too far and prepare manufactured answers
      and/or freeze up when you go off the list.

      Admittedly, it depends a lot on the tone and format of your show. In the
      case of Geek Cred, it's more conversational and long-form (30-40
      minutes), and I'm usually interviewing someone for something specific,
      such as a project they are working on. I /do/ however give the guest an
      overview ahead of time of points and topics I intend to cover so that
      they can be prepared, but I don't go so far as specific questions.

      At the very least, something to think about...

      Steve Riekeberg
      Host, Geek Cred
      <http://www.geekcred.net>

      On 8/29/10 8:08 PM, Stephen Nelson wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > Most people that have been interviewed a few times develop some set
      > pieces-- good stories that they can tell with great skill during an
      > interview. Figure out which of these set pieces you want to include
      > and remap your questions accordingly. However, many people that
      > subscribe to your podcast will have heard this person interviewed
      > before. Try to make sure that you include the set pieces that you know
      > are interesting and good, and new questions.
      >
      > 4. Have some emergency backup questions in case you run out of material.
      >
      > I did an interview fairly recently where I hadn't prepared enough.
      > About halfway through, I realized I had nothing more to ask and was
      > unclear on what to say next. Since then, I've always had several
      > open-ended questions that I use for a jumping-off point.
      >
      > 5. Share the questions with the interviewee before the interview.
      >
      > I email my question list in advance. I generally start things off with
      > a disclaimer stating that this question list is not set in stone--
      > I'll be improvising around it-- but that I'll have it in front of me
      > during the interview. It gives the interviewee a chance to say, "I
      > don't know anything about that" about a particular question and avoids
      > an awkward moment. Sending the questions beforehand helps to establish
      > that you're both on the same side.
      >
      > 6. Have the interviewee's book with you.
      >
      > If the author has a book, you'll probably be referring to it by title
      > many times. It's handy to have it sitting next to you so that you can
      > just read it off. If the interviewee doesn't have a book, write their
      > name and other important names down in large letters so that you can
      > read it off and avoid sounding like an idiot.
      >
      > 7. Listen during the interview.
      >
      > There are many distractions during an interview. Is the recorder still
      > running? What question am I going to ask next? Is this going well? The
      > biggest challenge is to clear your mind and really focus on what your
      > interviewee is saying. This can be most challenging when they're doing
      > a set piece that you've heard before, but stay focused and listen to
      > every word. That will help you segue to the next question naturally.
      >
      > 8. Don't be afraid to stop the interview.
      >
      > Unless you're doing a live show, what you're doing can always be
      > edited down. If you feel uncomfortable, or run out of material, or
      > don't know where to go next, there's nothing stopping you from pausing
      > for a few seconds to make editing easy, saying, "Let's stop for a
      > second," and chatting with the interviewee on where to go next. Unless
      > this is an adversarial interview, there's no harm in it-- you're both
      > on the same side.
      >
      > 9. Thank the interviewee.
      >
      > Make sure that the interviewee knows how much you appreciate the
      > interview. Keep him or her informed as to its edit status and when the
      > podcast featuring it has been posted.
      >
      > I think that's enough for a start. What you you think?

    • Michael Butler
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2010
        I do a lot of interviews on my crappy podcast called The Rock and Roll Geek
        Show.

        The thing that really helped me was listening to some really good
        interviewers like Terri Gross, Howard Stern (yes, he is a great interviewer)
        or someone else you respect. Study how they do it.

        Also, ask questions that you think your listeners/viewers would like answers
        to.

        I also try not to ask the same questions everyone else is asking. People who
        do interviews a lot get really tired of answering those over and over again.

        On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 1:31 PM, Steve Riekeberg
        <missingintellect@...>wrote:

> [...]
        > > every word. That will help you segue to the next question naturally.
        > >
        > > 8. Don't be afraid to stop the interview.
        > >
        > > Unless you're doing a live show, what you're doing can always be
        > > edited down. If you feel uncomfortable, or run out of material, or
        > > don't know where to go next, there's nothing stopping you from pausing
        > > for a few seconds to make editing easy, saying, "Let's stop for a
        > > second," and chatting with the interviewee on where to go next. Unless
        > > this is an adversarial interview, there's no harm in it-- you're both
        > > on the same side.
        > >
        > > 9. Thank the interviewee.
        > >
        > > Make sure that the interviewee knows how much you appreciate the
        > > interview. Keep him or her informed as to its edit status and when the
        > > podcast featuring it has been posted.
        > >
        > > I think that's enough for a start. What you you think?

        The Rock and Roll Geek Network

        This is the real school of Rock!
        Interviews, Music and Talk From a
        Rock and Roll Geek

        http://www.rockandrollgeek.com
        Subscribe-
        http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=73331036
        Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/rnrgeek
        Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/rnrgeek
        Myspace- http://www.myspace.com/rockandrollgeek

      • The Vegas Tourist
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2010
          Greetings,

          The greatest interviews of all time to learn from:

          1) Johnny Carson. He didn't rule late night television for nothing. he let the guest run the interview.

          2) Tom Snyder - showing my age on this one. But if there are any old reruns of his late night show, watch them. He was there to have fun and learn from his guests.

          3) Charlie Rose. That man just has a way of making people talk.

          Worst interviewers:

          1) Larry king. Need I say more?

          My favorite guest for my podcast?
          Frank Cullotta - Vegas Gangster.
          In complete accident, slip of the tongue, I did the Robert Deniro - Raging Bull "You Talking to Me??" to a mobster...and lived to tell about it.

          Mark Anthony
          The Vegas Tourist Podcast
        • Stephen Nelson
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 28, 2010
            Long-dead zombie thread, resurrected so that I can continue to pick your brains... brains...

            I appreciate all of your tip suggestions. Re Steve Riekeberg's point below, I've wound up using his overall approach-- instead of giving an actual list of questions, I give a list of topics, as he does. That gives me the benefits of sending the question list and eliminates the risk that they'll over-rehearse. Now that I've actually been interviewed as well as being an interviewer, I can tell you that I'd have felt more confident during the process if I'd had a list of topics in advance.

            Additional tips (subject, of course, to debate):

            * Read all of your questions aloud just prior to the interview.

            I have a tendency to "um" and "uh"-- it only manifests during interviews or when I'm talking to my boss. Reading the questions aloud beforehand helps me ask the questions fluently when it's time. This in turn helps me avoid stammering when asking improv questions, since I'm relaxed. Even for those lucky people who can sound natural reading from a teleprompter, this can be helpful. I find it helps me to get my question list fresh in my mind so that I can make easy transitions.

            * Explain the rules of engagement

            When I'm doing an interview, I'm generally most interested in showing off how awesome my interviewee is. Before we get started, I generally explain this. I further mention that if I ask a question that they think is uninteresting, or at any point they want me to edit out a question and its response, they merely have to ask. (This might not apply to all interviewees; I have yet to do a hostile interview, but I may do so in the future.) No one has ever taken me up on this, but it seems to keep things on a friendly tone. Just as importantly, explain how long you expect the interview session to last. Personally, I ask if the interviewee wishes to tell a joke, since that has helped loosen things up in the past, but not everyone can think of a joke.

            * Ask the interviewee to record on their end

            If I'm interviewing a podcaster, I ask for a dual-headed recording. (This is obvious, but sometimes checklists should include the obvious. I've forgotten to ask until too late-- quite recently, even!) If my interviewee isn't prepared to record a Skype conversation on their end, that's fine; better to have asked than not.

            * Take breaks

            My average interview is forty-five minutes, which is a little long to listen to without a break. I like to interrupt the interview about halfway through with something else-- a promo, an announcement, or whatever else comes to mind. I haven't done this too much, but I have found that taking a break at some point during the interview can help the interviewee stay relaxed and focused.

            Of all of the tips, the one I still find most useful is to make sure you're listening to your interviewee. If I ever catch my mind wandering, I close my eyes and just focus on the sound of his or her voice. If I can stay focused, my audience can stay focused.

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 28, 2010
              Glad to hear that my advice seems to be working for you!

              You make a very good point about explaining the rules of engagement--well,
              and I love that descriptive term for it. It really helps guests know what
              your expectations are, and how long you expect it to take. I do quite a bit
              of editing, so it's important that they know that if they stumble they can
              pause and start again. Beyond if your intention is say conversational or
              formal, what are your standards? For example, is harsh language acceptable,
              or will they be censored? (Personally, I don't necessarily want guests to
              censor themselves--I want them to be natural and authentic--but I let them
              know that I may bleep them if necessary--no "f-bomb" for example.)

              There's probably plenty more advice I'd add that I'm forgetting at the
              moment...

              Steve Riekeberg
              Host, Geek Cred
              <http://www.geekcred.net>