Re: Gain versus Level Re Distortion

  • wizzardmediareceiver
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 12, 2010
      And if you see that the level is good and healthy on the behringer led meter, and plugging in headphones sounds good and not distorted, but you still are getting distortion, than it could be the sound blaster thats turned up to high, or the computer input setting.

      dave m

      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "wizzardmediareceiver" <wizzardmediareceiver@...> wrote:

      > Also to be more specific on number two,
      >
      > If you are only getting distortion on the volume spikes, but the other times it sounds good, than use the level to "fine tune" the volume of the spikes. Gains controls the wider swath of amplifying a non line level signal. Level is more about fine tuning adjustments.
      >
      > I still recommend starting with level at the 0 position, get the gain set so its as good as possible, then fine tune with level.
      >
      > Lastly, a hardware compressor/limiter like this http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/3630/
      > (decent sounding 2 channel for 2 speakers)
      > or this
      > http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Comp16/
      > (better sounding but only 1 channel for one speaker)
      > goes a long long way to improving your sound. Yes you can compress after the audio gets in the computer, but an outboard compressor makes your life so much easier smoothing out the peaks, and raising the valleys of your dynamics. It complicates things at first, but it can really be worth the hassle by making your audio smoother and improving the signal to noise ratio.
      >
      > Dave Mansueto
      >

      > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "shermie98" <sherm_usa@> wrote:
      > >
      > > My equipment is a Eurorack UB802 and Shure SM58 microphone run through a Creative Sound Blaster. Am using Propaganda as recording program.
      > >
      > > 1) What is the relationship between the effect of the gain setting and the effect of the level setting?
      > >
      > > 2) I am getting distortion where my volume spikes. I don't know whether to try to control this with level or gain.
      > >
      > > 3) Does the pan setting come into play at all?
      > >
      > > 4) Anyone knowledgeable in the West LA/Culver City/Westchester area want to come over and help me with this for a modest meal out in exchange?
      > >
      > > ShermLA

    • Pat Cook
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 13, 2010
        A few questions for you Sherm.....

        1). Have you tried using other programs? If so, what are the results?
        2). How close and/or far back are you to the mic?

        By answering these questions, we might be able to help you pinpoint the problem.

        Cheers :D

        Pat Cook
        HOST - The Left Wing Conservative
        Denver, CO