Re: Pod hosting questions

  • mikelod_1
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 29, 2010
      Cian,

      I have to show a little love to Mevio - I have been podcasting with Mevio for 5 years and I think their service - while not for everyone - is great.
      If you are trying to download from the Mevio site - you're correct it's a pain, but I've never had an issue using iTunes for Mevio shows - in fact it's usually very fast. If you go with Mevio, don't direct your listeners to download from Mevio - as most downloads come from iTunes anyway.

      That said I also use Libsyn to host my blog page and some other podcast material so I recommend them highly as well.

      Mikel O.D.
      www.mostpeoplearedjs.com
      indie pop and skewed intellect

      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Cian Mac Mahon <cianmm@...> wrote:

      > I believe that's a solid no to Mevio then.
      >
      > I agree with the no, as I have hear terrible terrible things about
      > them and how you end up tied into their system. Pay the small amount
      > for Libsyn, and feel safe in knowing you own your content, if you
      > can't host it on your hosting account.
      >
      > Cian Mac Mahon
      > www.CianMacMahon.com

    • crafterlag
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 29, 2010
        I have to disagree. I download a lot of podcasts, and while I don't know how many podcasts I listen to are hosted on Mevio, I know for certain that I subscribe to 5 podcasts that download painfully slowly, and they're all Mevio shows. They're all popular Mevio shows, too, so I assume the service is throttling the shows.

        That's not cool.

        -Mer
        braindouche.net
        Ask me about my new album, Hyphen, but only if you want your ear talked off.

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "mikelod_1" <mikelod_1@...> wrote:

        > Cian,
        >
        > I have to show a little love to Mevio - I have been podcasting with Mevio for 5 years and I think their service - while not for everyone - is great.
        > If you are trying to download from the Mevio site - you're correct it's a pain, but I've never had an issue using iTunes for Mevio shows - in fact it's usually very fast. If you go with Mevio, don't direct your listeners to download from Mevio - as most downloads come from iTunes anyway.
        >
        > That said I also use Libsyn to host my blog page and some other podcast material so I recommend them highly as well.
        >
        > Mikel O.D.
        > www.mostpeoplearedjs.com
        > indie pop and skewed intellect
        >

        > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Cian Mac Mahon <cianmm@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I believe that's a solid no to Mevio then.
        > >
        > > I agree with the no, as I have hear terrible terrible things about
        > > them and how you end up tied into their system. Pay the small amount
        > > for Libsyn, and feel safe in knowing you own your content, if you
        > > can't host it on your hosting account.
        > >
        > > Cian Mac Mahon
        > > www.CianMacMahon.com

      • Pat Cook
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 29, 2010
          Thanks Ed

          I edited it manually here but I'll correct it in the permanent sig once I send
          this off.

          Just goes to show that fingers & keyboards don't alway get along, do they? :)
          *LOL!*

          Cheers :D
           Pat Cook
          HOST - The Left Wing Conservative
          Denver, CO
          WEBSITE - http://www.wix.com/progressivemoderates/mainwix
          AUDIO PODCAST - http://theleftwingwingconservative.mevio.com/
          VIDEO PODCAST - http://tlwctv.mevio.com
          SKYPE LINE - leftyconservative
          TWITTER - http://twitter.com/libconservative
          FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/pages/leftyconservative/126700177352576
          VOICEMAIL - 206-350-2175

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 29, 2010
            Sounds like Mevio needs to start up a Mevio 2 then because I'm not terribly
            impressed with Podbean or Pod-O-Matic.  Plus, I'm already paying up the wazoo
            for all the stuff I do online anyway considering the fixed income I'm on so
            paying for podcasting when I don't have to at the present moment is something
            I'd rather not get into doing if you all know what I mean :)

            And BlipTV only hosts video podcasts, but at least I know I can always go back
            there for the TV shows (Especially since I don't believe the RSS feed URLs on
            UStream are podcast-enabled though I could be wrong)

            But yeah - Try downloading from iTunes.

          • Rob Schendel
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 30, 2010
              I would have loved to sign up with Mevio, until I realized that they assume
              ownership of your work. Apparently that's in the TOS, and I assume it is
              why Cali Lewis had to discontinue her beloved "GeekBrief" podcast, and
              rename it "GeekBeat", when she left Mevio.

              On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 11:55 PM, Pat Cook <patsblogs@...> wrote:

              > Sounds like Mevio needs to start up a Mevio 2 then because I'm not terribly
              >
              > impressed with Podbean or Pod-O-Matic. Plus, I'm already paying up the
              > wazoo
              > for all the stuff I do online anyway considering the fixed income I'm on so
              >
              > paying for podcasting when I don't have to at the present moment is
              > something
              > I'd rather not get into doing if you all know what I mean :)
              >
              > And BlipTV only hosts video podcasts, but at least I know I can always go
              > back
              > there for the TV shows (Especially since I don't believe the RSS feed URLs
              > on
              > UStream are podcast-enabled though I could be wrong)
              >
              > But yeah - Try downloading from iTunes.
              >

              > Cheers :D
              > Pat Cook
              > HOST - The Left Wing Conservative
              > Denver, CO
              > WEBSITE - http://www.wix.com/progressivemoderates/mainwix
              > AUDIO PODCAST - http://theleftwingwingconservative.mevio.com/
              > VIDEO PODCAST - http://tlwctv.mevio.com
              > SKYPE LINE - leftyconservative
              > TWITTER - http://twitter.com/libconservative
              > FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/pages/leftyconservative/126700177352576
              > VOICEMAIL - 206-350-2175
              >
              > ________________________________

            • Pat Cook
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 30, 2010
                Well the difference between Cali's podcast & mine is she makes $$$ with her
                podcast whereas I do not.  That's a HUGE factor.

                So I guess it just depends on whether you expect to make a living with your
                podcast or not (I don't).

              • Cian Mac Mahon
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 30, 2010
                  Or if you want somebody else to make a living off your work. Then go
                  with mevio.

                  Just host wherever you are hosting your blog, if you don't want to pay
                  $60 a year for libsyn.

                  Cian Mac Mahon
                  www.CianMacMahon.com
                • Pat Cook
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 30, 2010
                    Well unless and/or until I start making a living off my political talk show
                    (Like THAT is going to happen anytime soon?  I don't think so), I'm not really
                    worried about who hosts my podcast.

                    That said though, I'll get on the PodcastAlley board (Mevio has its forum there)
                    & mention the complaints everyone posted here over the last couple of days.