Re: [podcasters] Re: Pod hosting questions

  • Rob Schendel
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 27, 2010
      I've been using Podbean since October, and find them worry-free and
      efficient.
      I now know of some other people's issues with them, but whenever I've had a
      problem or more accurately a question, they were quick to respond and
      helpful.

      I also use Libsyn, and have the same complimentary thoughts about them.

      There are obvious differences in the two interfaces, but beyond that the
      only consideration, as far as I can see, is price - as you suggested,
      Podbean is the better deal.

      On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 9:18 AM, Cian Mac Mahon <cianmm@...> wrote:

      > I vote for Libsyn, as they are the only media host I use, and have
      > great customer service.
      >
      > Cian Mac Mahon
      > www.CianMacMahon.com

    • Pat Cook
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 28, 2010
        I have found that THE BEST podcast host is MEVIO. Why do I say this? Simple.

        1). It supports audio AND video podcasts
        2). It (At least to my knowledge) has no bandwidth and/or storage restrictions
        3). IT IS FREE because it's ad supported

        Can Podbean or any other host claim that? I think not.

        Just my opinion though.....

        Cheers :D
        Pat Cook
        HOST - The Left Wing Conservative
        Denver, CO
        WEBSITE - http://www.wix.com/progressivemoderates/mainwix
        AUDIO PODCAST - http://theleftwingconservative.mevio.com/
        VIDEO PODCAST - http://tlwctv.mevio.com
        SKYPE LINE - leftyconservative
        TWITTER - http://twitter.com/libconservative
        FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/pages/leftyconservative/126700177352576
        VOICEMAIL - 206-350-2175

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 28, 2010
          Pat,
          You might want to make note, the address you give for your audio podcast is incorrect. It seems you are actually at http://theleftwingwingconservative.mevio.com It looks like the video feed is correct, and just the audio was wrong. But I thought you might want to know. I guess two wings is better than one.

          Regards,
          Ed

          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 28, 2010
            Dude! No on the Mevio. I don't do delays for downloading. If I have to wait that long to be able to download a file, I go on to the next one.

            Not gonna make my listeners do that.

            Plus, that interface is NOT user friendly!

            I might actually be interested in you podcast, but just not jumping through THAT many hoops to get to it.

            Thanks for you input, and I hope your 'cast kicks serious butt, but I just can't do it.

            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 28, 2010
              As a matter of fact, you might want to check with them.

              Because...

              After going 4 pages in, then waiting for the commercial to end, it wouldn't let me download Episode 1.

              Twice.

              That is not good.

              You and I could be great friends or wonderful opponents with all the political fodder out there, but I CAN'T GET YOUR PODCAST!!!

              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 28, 2010
                Managed to get Episode 1.

                Then, saw that there were 2 episode 4's and 2 episode 5's, but no 2 or 3. Tried to get the first of the episode 4's, and it crashed.

                I'll listen to Episode 1, and let you know what I think, but I probably won't be able to listen to any of the other episodes.

                Mevio is out of the running. Thanks for stepping up, I appreciate it. I need all the help and advice I can get, but it just doesn't fit into my needs.

                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "clay.dugger" <clay.dugger@...> wrote:

                > As a matter of fact, you might want to check with them.
                >
                > Because...
                >
                > After going 4 pages in, then waiting for the commercial to end, it wouldn't let me download Episode 1.
                >
                > Twice.
                >
                > That is not good.
                >
                > You and I could be great friends or wonderful opponents with all the political fodder out there, but I CAN'T GET YOUR PODCAST!!!
                >
                > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Pat Cook <patsblogs@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I have found that THE BEST podcast host is MEVIO. Why do I say this? Simple.
                > >
                > > 1). It supports audio AND video podcasts
                > > 2). It (At least to my knowledge) has no bandwidth and/or storage restrictions
                > > 3). IT IS FREE because it's ad supported
                > >
                > > Can Podbean or any other host claim that? I think not.
                > >
                > > Just my opinion though.....
                > >
                > > Cheers :D
                > > Pat Cook
                > > HOST - The Left Wing Conservative
                > > Denver, CO
                > > WEBSITE - http://www.wix.com/progressivemoderates/mainwix
                > > AUDIO PODCAST - http://theleftwingconservative.mevio.com/
                > > VIDEO PODCAST - http://tlwctv.mevio.com
                > > SKYPE LINE - leftyconservative
                > > TWITTER - http://twitter.com/libconservative
                > > FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/pages/leftyconservative/126700177352576
                > > VOICEMAIL - 206-350-2175
                > >

                > > ________________________________

              • George L Smyth
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 28, 2010
                  I've worked with about a thousand shows going to Libsyn and find them to be with little problems. They've been there since the beginning, so they would be my default choice.

                  Cheers -

                  george

                  --------------------------------------
                  Bromoil Images: http://GeorgeSmyth.com
                  Sounds Of Ambience: http://SoundsOfAmbience.com
                  Blog: http://GLSmyth.wordpress.com
                • Cian Mac Mahon
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 29, 2010
                    I believe that's a solid no to Mevio then.

                    I agree with the no, as I have hear terrible terrible things about
                    them and how you end up tied into their system. Pay the small amount
                    for Libsyn, and feel safe in knowing you own your content, if you
                    can't host it on your hosting account.

                    Cian Mac Mahon
                    www.CianMacMahon.com
                  • mikelod_1
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 29, 2010
                      Cian,

                      I have to show a little love to Mevio - I have been podcasting with Mevio for 5 years and I think their service - while not for everyone - is great.
                      If you are trying to download from the Mevio site - you're correct it's a pain, but I've never had an issue using iTunes for Mevio shows - in fact it's usually very fast. If you go with Mevio, don't direct your listeners to download from Mevio - as most downloads come from iTunes anyway.

                      That said I also use Libsyn to host my blog page and some other podcast material so I recommend them highly as well.

                      Mikel O.D.
                      www.mostpeoplearedjs.com
                      indie pop and skewed intellect

                      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Cian Mac Mahon <cianmm@...> wrote:

                      > I believe that's a solid no to Mevio then.
                      >
                      > I agree with the no, as I have hear terrible terrible things about
                      > them and how you end up tied into their system. Pay the small amount
                      > for Libsyn, and feel safe in knowing you own your content, if you
                      > can't host it on your hosting account.
                      >
                      > Cian Mac Mahon
                      > www.CianMacMahon.com

                    • crafterlag
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 29, 2010
                        I have to disagree. I download a lot of podcasts, and while I don't know how many podcasts I listen to are hosted on Mevio, I know for certain that I subscribe to 5 podcasts that download painfully slowly, and they're all Mevio shows. They're all popular Mevio shows, too, so I assume the service is throttling the shows.

                        That's not cool.

                        -Mer
                        braindouche.net
                        Ask me about my new album, Hyphen, but only if you want your ear talked off.

                        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "mikelod_1" <mikelod_1@...> wrote:

                        > Cian,
                        >
                        > I have to show a little love to Mevio - I have been podcasting with Mevio for 5 years and I think their service - while not for everyone - is great.
                        > If you are trying to download from the Mevio site - you're correct it's a pain, but I've never had an issue using iTunes for Mevio shows - in fact it's usually very fast. If you go with Mevio, don't direct your listeners to download from Mevio - as most downloads come from iTunes anyway.
                        >
                        > That said I also use Libsyn to host my blog page and some other podcast material so I recommend them highly as well.
                        >
                        > Mikel O.D.
                        > www.mostpeoplearedjs.com
                        > indie pop and skewed intellect
                        >

                        > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Cian Mac Mahon <cianmm@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I believe that's a solid no to Mevio then.
                        > >
                        > > I agree with the no, as I have hear terrible terrible things about
                        > > them and how you end up tied into their system. Pay the small amount
                        > > for Libsyn, and feel safe in knowing you own your content, if you
                        > > can't host it on your hosting account.
                        > >
                        > > Cian Mac Mahon
                        > > www.CianMacMahon.com

                      • Pat Cook
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 29, 2010
                          Thanks Ed

                          I edited it manually here but I'll correct it in the permanent sig once I send
                          this off.

                          Just goes to show that fingers & keyboards don't alway get along, do they? :)
                          *LOL!*

                          AUDIO PODCAST - http://theleftwingwingconservative.mevio.com/

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 29, 2010
                            Sounds like Mevio needs to start up a Mevio 2 then because I'm not terribly
                            impressed with Podbean or Pod-O-Matic.  Plus, I'm already paying up the wazoo
                            for all the stuff I do online anyway considering the fixed income I'm on so
                            paying for podcasting when I don't have to at the present moment is something
                            I'd rather not get into doing if you all know what I mean :)

                            And BlipTV only hosts video podcasts, but at least I know I can always go back
                            there for the TV shows (Especially since I don't believe the RSS feed URLs on
                            UStream are podcast-enabled though I could be wrong)

                            But yeah - Try downloading from iTunes.

                          • Rob Schendel
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 30, 2010
                              I would have loved to sign up with Mevio, until I realized that they assume
                              ownership of your work. Apparently that's in the TOS, and I assume it is
                              why Cali Lewis had to discontinue her beloved "GeekBrief" podcast, and
                              rename it "GeekBeat", when she left Mevio.

                              On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 11:55 PM, Pat Cook <patsblogs@...> wrote:

                              > Sounds like Mevio needs to start up a Mevio 2 then because I'm not terribly
                              >
                              > impressed with Podbean or Pod-O-Matic. Plus, I'm already paying up the
                              > wazoo
                              > for all the stuff I do online anyway considering the fixed income I'm on so
                              >
                              > paying for podcasting when I don't have to at the present moment is
                              > something
                              > I'd rather not get into doing if you all know what I mean :)
                              >
                              > And BlipTV only hosts video podcasts, but at least I know I can always go
                              > back
                              > there for the TV shows (Especially since I don't believe the RSS feed URLs
                              > on
                              > UStream are podcast-enabled though I could be wrong)
                              >
                              > But yeah - Try downloading from iTunes.
                              >

                              > Cheers :D
                              > Pat Cook
                              > HOST - The Left Wing Conservative
                              > Denver, CO
                              > WEBSITE - http://www.wix.com/progressivemoderates/mainwix
                              > AUDIO PODCAST - http://theleftwingwingconservative.mevio.com/
                              > VIDEO PODCAST - http://tlwctv.mevio.com
                              > SKYPE LINE - leftyconservative
                              > TWITTER - http://twitter.com/libconservative
                              > FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/pages/leftyconservative/126700177352576
                              > VOICEMAIL - 206-350-2175
                              >
                              > ________________________________

                            • Pat Cook
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 30, 2010
                                Well the difference between Cali's podcast & mine is she makes $$$ with her
                                podcast whereas I do not.  That's a HUGE factor.

                                So I guess it just depends on whether you expect to make a living with your
                                podcast or not (I don't).

                              • Cian Mac Mahon
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 30, 2010
                                  Or if you want somebody else to make a living off your work. Then go
                                  with mevio.

                                  Just host wherever you are hosting your blog, if you don't want to pay
                                  $60 a year for libsyn.

                                  Cian Mac Mahon
                                  www.CianMacMahon.com
                                • Pat Cook
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jul 30, 2010
                                    Well unless and/or until I start making a living off my political talk show
                                    (Like THAT is going to happen anytime soon?  I don't think so), I'm not really
                                    worried about who hosts my podcast.

                                    That said though, I'll get on the PodcastAlley board (Mevio has its forum there)
                                    & mention the complaints everyone posted here over the last couple of days.