Re: Pod hosting questions

  • clay.dugger
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 27 3:53 AM
      Thank you, thank you! I'll look into them!

      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, David Jackson <jammindave@...> wrote:

      > Clay,
      > I would look into libsyn.com or blubrry.com Why? Well all I can say is in my
      > years of working as a podcast consultant I've moved people FROM podbean to
      > other hosting, but I've never moved someone TO podbean. I did feel bad for a
      > friend of mine who is using their free service. He promoted a new podcast
      > via twitter, and when I went to listen all his bandwidth was gone (again,
      > free account). Also (for me) I use feeburner so in the event you want to
      > change yuor hosting later, you can easily update your feed. Both Libsyn and
      > blubrry have a great support staff and stats.
      >
      > Directions on submitting to itunes can be found at
      > http://www.schoolofpodcasting.com/help/faq_qanda.php?id=3
      >
      > Dave Jackson
      > www.schoolofpodcasting.com
      >
      > On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 6:41 PM, clay.dugger <clay.dugger@...> wrote:
      >

      > > I am in the process of rebooting my podcast.
      > >
      > > I am looking for an affordable host service, since I have no plans to ask
      > > for donations.
      > >
      > > So far, podbean looks to be the best one for me. $100 a year for unlimited
      > > storage and bandwidth, if I remember correctly.
      > >
      > > Any others I should look into. That's a real good price range for me.
      > >
      > > Does podbean have any "secret" charges?
      > >
      > > I am also going to look into freeforums.org. Any thoughts?
      > >
      > > And, where do I go to learn how to put my cast on i-tunes?
      > >

      > --
      > Dave Jackson

    • Cian Mac Mahon
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 27 7:18 AM
        I vote for Libsyn, as they are the only media host I use, and have
        great customer service.

        Cian Mac Mahon
        www.CianMacMahon.com
      • Rob Schendel
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 27 11:13 AM
          I've been using Podbean since October, and find them worry-free and
          efficient.
          I now know of some other people's issues with them, but whenever I've had a
          problem or more accurately a question, they were quick to respond and
          helpful.

          I also use Libsyn, and have the same complimentary thoughts about them.

          There are obvious differences in the two interfaces, but beyond that the
          only consideration, as far as I can see, is price - as you suggested,
          Podbean is the better deal.

          On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 9:18 AM, Cian Mac Mahon <cianmm@...> wrote:

          > I vote for Libsyn, as they are the only media host I use, and have
          > great customer service.
          >
          > Cian Mac Mahon
          > www.CianMacMahon.com

        • Pat Cook
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 28 9:03 AM
            I have found that THE BEST podcast host is MEVIO. Why do I say this? Simple.

            1). It supports audio AND video podcasts
            2). It (At least to my knowledge) has no bandwidth and/or storage restrictions
            3). IT IS FREE because it's ad supported

            Can Podbean or any other host claim that? I think not.

            Just my opinion though.....

            Cheers :D
            Pat Cook
            HOST - The Left Wing Conservative
            Denver, CO
            WEBSITE - http://www.wix.com/progressivemoderates/mainwix
            AUDIO PODCAST - http://theleftwingconservative.mevio.com/
            VIDEO PODCAST - http://tlwctv.mevio.com
            SKYPE LINE - leftyconservative
            TWITTER - http://twitter.com/libconservative
            FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/pages/leftyconservative/126700177352576
            VOICEMAIL - 206-350-2175

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 28 11:35 AM
              Pat,
              You might want to make note, the address you give for your audio podcast is incorrect. It seems you are actually at http://theleftwingwingconservative.mevio.com It looks like the video feed is correct, and just the audio was wrong. But I thought you might want to know. I guess two wings is better than one.

              Regards,
              Ed

              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 28 4:57 PM
                Dude! No on the Mevio. I don't do delays for downloading. If I have to wait that long to be able to download a file, I go on to the next one.

                Not gonna make my listeners do that.

                Plus, that interface is NOT user friendly!

                I might actually be interested in you podcast, but just not jumping through THAT many hoops to get to it.

                Thanks for you input, and I hope your 'cast kicks serious butt, but I just can't do it.

                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 28 5:04 PM
                  As a matter of fact, you might want to check with them.

                  Because...

                  After going 4 pages in, then waiting for the commercial to end, it wouldn't let me download Episode 1.

                  Twice.

                  That is not good.

                  You and I could be great friends or wonderful opponents with all the political fodder out there, but I CAN'T GET YOUR PODCAST!!!

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 28 5:28 PM
                    Managed to get Episode 1.

                    Then, saw that there were 2 episode 4's and 2 episode 5's, but no 2 or 3. Tried to get the first of the episode 4's, and it crashed.

                    I'll listen to Episode 1, and let you know what I think, but I probably won't be able to listen to any of the other episodes.

                    Mevio is out of the running. Thanks for stepping up, I appreciate it. I need all the help and advice I can get, but it just doesn't fit into my needs.

                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "clay.dugger" <clay.dugger@...> wrote:

                    > As a matter of fact, you might want to check with them.
                    >
                    > Because...
                    >
                    > After going 4 pages in, then waiting for the commercial to end, it wouldn't let me download Episode 1.
                    >
                    > Twice.
                    >
                    > That is not good.
                    >
                    > You and I could be great friends or wonderful opponents with all the political fodder out there, but I CAN'T GET YOUR PODCAST!!!
                    >
                    > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Pat Cook <patsblogs@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I have found that THE BEST podcast host is MEVIO. Why do I say this? Simple.
                    > >
                    > > 1). It supports audio AND video podcasts
                    > > 2). It (At least to my knowledge) has no bandwidth and/or storage restrictions
                    > > 3). IT IS FREE because it's ad supported
                    > >
                    > > Can Podbean or any other host claim that? I think not.
                    > >
                    > > Just my opinion though.....
                    > >
                    > > Cheers :D
                    > > Pat Cook
                    > > HOST - The Left Wing Conservative
                    > > Denver, CO
                    > > WEBSITE - http://www.wix.com/progressivemoderates/mainwix
                    > > AUDIO PODCAST - http://theleftwingconservative.mevio.com/
                    > > VIDEO PODCAST - http://tlwctv.mevio.com
                    > > SKYPE LINE - leftyconservative
                    > > TWITTER - http://twitter.com/libconservative
                    > > FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/pages/leftyconservative/126700177352576
                    > > VOICEMAIL - 206-350-2175
                    > >

                    > > ________________________________

                  • George L Smyth
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 28 6:49 PM
                      I've worked with about a thousand shows going to Libsyn and find them to be with little problems. They've been there since the beginning, so they would be my default choice.

                      Cheers -

                      george

                      --------------------------------------
                      Bromoil Images: http://GeorgeSmyth.com
                      Sounds Of Ambience: http://SoundsOfAmbience.com
                      Blog: http://GLSmyth.wordpress.com
                    • Cian Mac Mahon
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 29 8:00 AM
                        I believe that's a solid no to Mevio then.

                        I agree with the no, as I have hear terrible terrible things about
                        them and how you end up tied into their system. Pay the small amount
                        for Libsyn, and feel safe in knowing you own your content, if you
                        can't host it on your hosting account.

                        Cian Mac Mahon
                        www.CianMacMahon.com
                      • mikelod_1
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 29 8:43 AM
                          Cian,

                          I have to show a little love to Mevio - I have been podcasting with Mevio for 5 years and I think their service - while not for everyone - is great.
                          If you are trying to download from the Mevio site - you're correct it's a pain, but I've never had an issue using iTunes for Mevio shows - in fact it's usually very fast. If you go with Mevio, don't direct your listeners to download from Mevio - as most downloads come from iTunes anyway.

                          That said I also use Libsyn to host my blog page and some other podcast material so I recommend them highly as well.

                          Mikel O.D.
                          www.mostpeoplearedjs.com
                          indie pop and skewed intellect

                          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Cian Mac Mahon <cianmm@...> wrote:

                          > I believe that's a solid no to Mevio then.
                          >
                          > I agree with the no, as I have hear terrible terrible things about
                          > them and how you end up tied into their system. Pay the small amount
                          > for Libsyn, and feel safe in knowing you own your content, if you
                          > can't host it on your hosting account.
                          >
                          > Cian Mac Mahon
                          > www.CianMacMahon.com

                        • crafterlag
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 29 8:52 AM
                            I have to disagree. I download a lot of podcasts, and while I don't know how many podcasts I listen to are hosted on Mevio, I know for certain that I subscribe to 5 podcasts that download painfully slowly, and they're all Mevio shows. They're all popular Mevio shows, too, so I assume the service is throttling the shows.

                            That's not cool.

                            -Mer
                            braindouche.net
                            Ask me about my new album, Hyphen, but only if you want your ear talked off.

                            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "mikelod_1" <mikelod_1@...> wrote:

                            > Cian,
                            >
                            > I have to show a little love to Mevio - I have been podcasting with Mevio for 5 years and I think their service - while not for everyone - is great.
                            > If you are trying to download from the Mevio site - you're correct it's a pain, but I've never had an issue using iTunes for Mevio shows - in fact it's usually very fast. If you go with Mevio, don't direct your listeners to download from Mevio - as most downloads come from iTunes anyway.
                            >
                            > That said I also use Libsyn to host my blog page and some other podcast material so I recommend them highly as well.
                            >
                            > Mikel O.D.
                            > www.mostpeoplearedjs.com
                            > indie pop and skewed intellect
                            >

                            > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Cian Mac Mahon <cianmm@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I believe that's a solid no to Mevio then.
                            > >
                            > > I agree with the no, as I have hear terrible terrible things about
                            > > them and how you end up tied into their system. Pay the small amount
                            > > for Libsyn, and feel safe in knowing you own your content, if you
                            > > can't host it on your hosting account.
                            > >
                            > > Cian Mac Mahon
                            > > www.CianMacMahon.com

                          • Pat Cook
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 29 9:41 PM
                              Thanks Ed

                              I edited it manually here but I'll correct it in the permanent sig once I send
                              this off.

                              Just goes to show that fingers & keyboards don't alway get along, do they? :)
                              *LOL!*

                              AUDIO PODCAST - http://theleftwingwingconservative.mevio.com/

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 29 9:55 PM
                                Sounds like Mevio needs to start up a Mevio 2 then because I'm not terribly
                                impressed with Podbean or Pod-O-Matic.  Plus, I'm already paying up the wazoo
                                for all the stuff I do online anyway considering the fixed income I'm on so
                                paying for podcasting when I don't have to at the present moment is something
                                I'd rather not get into doing if you all know what I mean :)

                                And BlipTV only hosts video podcasts, but at least I know I can always go back
                                there for the TV shows (Especially since I don't believe the RSS feed URLs on
                                UStream are podcast-enabled though I could be wrong)

                                But yeah - Try downloading from iTunes.

                              • Rob Schendel
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 30 12:13 AM
                                  I would have loved to sign up with Mevio, until I realized that they assume
                                  ownership of your work. Apparently that's in the TOS, and I assume it is
                                  why Cali Lewis had to discontinue her beloved "GeekBrief" podcast, and
                                  rename it "GeekBeat", when she left Mevio.

                                  On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 11:55 PM, Pat Cook <patsblogs@...> wrote:

                                  > Sounds like Mevio needs to start up a Mevio 2 then because I'm not terribly
                                  >
                                  > impressed with Podbean or Pod-O-Matic. Plus, I'm already paying up the
                                  > wazoo
                                  > for all the stuff I do online anyway considering the fixed income I'm on so
                                  >
                                  > paying for podcasting when I don't have to at the present moment is
                                  > something
                                  > I'd rather not get into doing if you all know what I mean :)
                                  >
                                  > And BlipTV only hosts video podcasts, but at least I know I can always go
                                  > back
                                  > there for the TV shows (Especially since I don't believe the RSS feed URLs
                                  > on
                                  > UStream are podcast-enabled though I could be wrong)
                                  >
                                  > But yeah - Try downloading from iTunes.
                                  >

                                  > Cheers :D
                                  > Pat Cook
                                  > HOST - The Left Wing Conservative
                                  > Denver, CO
                                  > WEBSITE - http://www.wix.com/progressivemoderates/mainwix
                                  > AUDIO PODCAST - http://theleftwingwingconservative.mevio.com/
                                  > VIDEO PODCAST - http://tlwctv.mevio.com
                                  > SKYPE LINE - leftyconservative
                                  > TWITTER - http://twitter.com/libconservative
                                  > FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/pages/leftyconservative/126700177352576
                                  > VOICEMAIL - 206-350-2175
                                  >
                                  > ________________________________

                                • Pat Cook
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jul 30 6:51 AM
                                    Well the difference between Cali's podcast & mine is she makes $$$ with her
                                    podcast whereas I do not.  That's a HUGE factor.

                                    So I guess it just depends on whether you expect to make a living with your
                                    podcast or not (I don't).

                                  • Cian Mac Mahon
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jul 30 7:12 AM
                                      Or if you want somebody else to make a living off your work. Then go
                                      with mevio.

                                      Just host wherever you are hosting your blog, if you don't want to pay
                                      $60 a year for libsyn.

                                      Cian Mac Mahon
                                      www.CianMacMahon.com
                                    • Pat Cook
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jul 30 8:20 AM
                                        Well unless and/or until I start making a living off my political talk show
                                        (Like THAT is going to happen anytime soon?  I don't think so), I'm not really
                                        worried about who hosts my podcast.

                                        That said though, I'll get on the PodcastAlley board (Mevio has its forum there)
                                        & mention the complaints everyone posted here over the last couple of days.