Redirects, wordpress, feedburner

  • Stephen Nelson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 23, 2010
      Hello all...

      I have a podcast served from a self-hosted site (http://www.skepticalviewer.com/). It's a straight Wordpress podcast, simply served as a subcategory of the other blog posts there. The podcast has been around for a while, and it appears to have a small following, although, without statistics, it's hard to know much about what that following is! I've recently taken over as overall site administrator as well as podcast producer, and would like to run the podcast feed through Feedburner.

      The way I see it, my options are:

      1. Use the Wordpress Feedburner Feedsmith plugin.

      This would be as easy as checking a box, but would not allow me to treat my podcast feed separately from the blog feed. The audiences seem pretty distinct, and I want to use Feedburner's podcast features. On the other hand, just doing a general site feed-burn might be a really good first step and would give me subscriber numbers.

      2. Change the podcast feed links on the site to point to a Feedburner feed and add an htaccess file to do a redirect to the feedburner feed from the old feed location.

      I'd also need to figure out a way of adding a redirect header to the feed to tell iTunes to switch to using FeedBurner as well.

      3. Set up a redirect to Feedburner, but leave all my links pointing to the skepticalviewer domain.

      That way I wouldn't have to do anything external. On the other hand, are there clients that don't handle permanent redirects well?

      4. Punt, move to libsyn, and redirect the feeds to that.

      It would be an extra expense, but would keep the podcasts up if something happened to the main site.

      Any thoughts? What options have I missed? Has anyone done this?
    • Ben Straw
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 24, 2010
        It sounds like your trying to move your feed, question why?
        Here is what I would do stick with the self hosting, but use libsyn for media
        hosting only. and use blubrrys powerpress plugin to manage your feed.

        Benjamin Straw - CEO Qetuo Media - http://Qetuo.me
        P: 1-304-449-4335
        Skype: n3bb3n
        Twitter: Twitter.com/nebben
        Want to Learn About Podcasting? - http://How2Podcast.com

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 24, 2010
          Sorry-- I think I got a bit overly long-winded there. I want feed statistics so I can track my (lack of) listeners. BluBrry might indeed be helpful there, thanks!

        • Shawn Thorpe
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 24, 2010
            A lot of information here. I think I understand what you're getting at,
            though. My suggestions are:
            1.) Keep your main site self-hosted at its current domain and use LibSyn on
            the back end only to host your media files (as Ben suggested).
            2.) If you want to use Feedburner for statistical purposes but don't want
            everyone to have to subscribe to the Feedburner feed, then you'll need to
            forward any existing feeds to that Feedburner feed. I've never done this, so
            I can't really advise on the best way to do it. Certainly, if you don't want
            to lose any current subscribers and you're planning on changing the feed,
            you'll need to do some type of redirection.
            3.) Good luck!

            --
            -Shawn Thorpe
            http://geminidragon.tv/ - stuff, we make it

          • angelomandato
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 25, 2010
              I agree with Benjamin, use PowerPress. Being the lead developer of
              PowerPress, I can give you some detailed advice...

              1. Since you are using a category in WordPress for your podcast, adding
              PowerPress will improve your category podcast feed by allowing you to
              control your iTunes tags directly from WordPress. At that point, you
              would not be limited to or need FeedBurner's SmartCast system. If you
              currently use SmartCast to create your iTunes summary and subtitle, you
              may be missing out from specifying your own customized iTunes subittle
              and summary. Tweaking your iTunes subtitle at the same time you write
              your podcast show notes just makes life easier and will help you get
              better positioned in iTunes searches.

              PowerPress is an open source WordPress plugin and may be found on
              WordPress.org or by searching for "PowerPress" from within your
              WordPress admin's "Add Plugin" page. PowerPress was designed in 2008 to
              replace PodPress. At first it was a fork of PodPress but after 2 weeks
              we abandoned trying to fix PodPress and started developing PowerPress
              from scratch. Migrating from PodPress to PowerPress is very easy since
              it was originally developed for that purpose.

              If you do use PowerPress, make sure you are in "Advanced Mode", have
              "Category Podcasting" enabled and have added PowerPress podcasting
              support to the necessary category(s).

              2. As you thought, the FeedBurner FeedSmith plugin only redirects your
              main blog's feed, it doesn't handle your category feeds. PowerPress
              though picks up where the FeedSmith plugin left off (You can thank Cliff
              Ravenscraft for suggesting this feature for PowerPress) by providing the
              redirect option for both Category Podcast feeds as well as PowerPress
              Podcast Channel feeds. The option in PowerPress is titled " FeedBurner
              Feed URL" and identical to FeedSmith, you just enter the FeedBurner URL
              and PowerPress will redirect to it. Read carefully below the option for
              the "Bypass Redirect URL", which is what you want to give to FeedBurner.
              PowerPress copied the logic from the FeedSmith plugin to provide
              identical functionality for podcast feeds.

              PowerPress, identical to FeedSmith, uses the 301 permanent redirect,
              which will tell iTunes to change the feed.

              3. This wouldn't have any value. If you do a 301 permanent redirect,
              within 2 weeks iTunes will change all of your subscribers to the new
              FeedBurner URL. You could do a temporary 302 redirect, but I would not
              recommend using a 302 redirect for a permanent solution.

              4. Anytime you use any other service to host your feed, make sure it can
              be done with your domain name. If you ever want to leave that particular
              service, you still own your domain name which gives you the ability to
              keep serving the feed after service stops. Otherwise, once you're on a
              particular service, you're at their mercy to make changes. I personally
              would never let a service or company host my feeds, for the same reason
              I don't let businesses take ownership of my domain names.

              Why do you want to use FeedBurner? If you want feed/subscriber
              statistics, then great, that's what FeedBurner does best. Otherwise,
              FeedBurner doesn't offer anything you can't already do directly on your
              WordPress blog. If you are looking for media download statistics,
              FeedBurner will miss downloads/web plays that occur directly on your web
              site. A better solution would be to use a podcast statistics service
              such as Blubrry's Media Statistics (we have a free as well as a paid
              version). PowerPress lets you setup up to 3 Statistics services, so you
              can use both Blubrry's and Podtrac's at the same time for example.

              As for media hosting, you can use LibSyn (no one beats their pricing)
              and still host your web site and feeds elsewhere. If you do use
              PowerPress, you may also want to consider Blubrry's Media Hosting plans,
              though more expensive than LibSyn, they allow you to upload your media
              directly from your WordPress blog.

              Last thought, we do provide support for PowerPress. So if you run into a
              snag, visit the Blubrry forums or use the contact form and either myself
              or Michael will get back to you.