Re: [podcasters] Re: Feed too large in Feedburner

  • Ben Straw
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 20, 2010
      Post the URL to your feed

      Benjamin Straw - CEO Qetuo Media - http://Qetuo.me
      P: 1-304-449-4335
      Skype: n3bb3n
      Twitter: Twitter.com/nebben
      Want to Learn About Podcasting? - http://How2Podcast.com

      ________________________________
      From: cianmacmahon <cianmm@...>
      To: podcasters@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sun, June 20, 2010 12:10:24 PM
      Subject: [podcasters] Re: Feed too large in Feedburner

      Yup, I am using that feed, but anything over about 15 items results in the "feed too large" warning, even though when I was running the feed through libsyn I had well over a hundred items in the feed, and it was running just fine.

      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Todd Cochrane <geeknews@...> wrote:

      > iTunes starts rejecting feeds over 256k if your using powerpress you
      > already have a podcast only feed that would be the one to use on
      > feedburner. You dont need to make a category feed or anything just look
      > at the podcast feed powerpress creates for you and check its size then
      > adjust as necessary the number of episodes you can have listed. Its not
      > a good idea to have a large feed anyway the larger the feed the longer
      > it takes to load.
      >
      > cianmacmahon wrote:
      > >
      > > So, I recently took over control of my feed from Libsyn (Thanks for
      > > the help, guys! Great support team) and noticed that Feedburner
      > > started making all sorts of complaints about the feed being over 512kb
      > > and thus too big. I have had to wittle the feed down to the 12 most
      > > recent episodes. However, when the feed was with Libsyn, there were
      > > over a hundred episodes in it.
      > >
      > > I'm using PowerPress, and was wondering if anybody know how to best
      > > fit all the episodes into the feed again?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Cian

    • cianmacmahon
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 20, 2010
        Here you go! Fiddled around with it some more, I have now got 35 items showing in the feed, which is a marked improvement. Considering yesterday wouldn't accept more then 15, I have started considering this may have been a Feedburner bug.

        the original feed is at http://viewfromthequad.com/feed/podcast

        The Feedburner version is at http://feeds.feedburner.com/VFTQ

        Later today, when I am at my computer (all this iPhone fiddling about is starting to wear on the eyes, at a friend's computer but can't stay long) I will start increasing it incrementally again, to see where I get too.

        Thanks,
        Cian

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Ben Straw <Nebula1183@...> wrote:

        > Post the URL to your feed
        >
        > Benjamin Straw - CEO Qetuo Media - http://Qetuo.me
        > P: 1-304-449-4335
        > Skype: n3bb3n
        > Twitter: Twitter.com/nebben
        > Want to Learn About Podcasting? - http://How2Podcast.com
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Ben Straw
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 20, 2010
          The problem I see is that feedburner isnt pulling the right feed, just take look at them the content dont match.

        • cianmacmahon
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 20, 2010
            Whoa.

            Looking at them in browser, they seem identical (other then Feedburner adding formatting and not cutting the posts off), items in the right order and everything, but if I add them both to a RSS reader, things on the feedburner feed are all out of order.

            That is very odd.

            I just checked, and feedburner is indeed reading the original powerpress feed.

          • Ben Straw
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 20, 2010
              here is what I see in my browser http://grab.by/52l0 this is your feed from your website
              this is feedburner http://grab.by/52l2

              Benjamin Straw - CEO Qetuo Media - http://Qetuo.me
              P: 1-304-449-4335
              Skype: n3bb3n
              Twitter: Twitter.com/nebben
              Want to Learn About Podcasting? - http://How2Podcast.com

              ________________________________
              Looking at them in browser, they seem identical (other then Feedburner adding formatting and not cutting the posts off), items in the right order and everything, but if I add them both to a RSS reader, things on the feedburner feed are all out of order.

              That is very odd.

              I just checked, and feedburner is indeed reading the original powerpress feed.

              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Ben Straw <Nebula1183@...> wrote:

              > The problem I see is that feedburner isnt pulling the right feed, just take look at them the content dont match.
              >

              > Benjamin Straw - CEO Qetuo Media - http://Qetuo.me
              > P: 1-304-449-4335
              > Skype: n3bb3n
              > Twitter: Twitter.com/nebben
              > Want to Learn About Podcasting? - http://How2Podcast.com
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Mike Sharpe
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 20, 2010
                What two 404?

                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com <mailto:podcasters%40yahoogroups.com> , Ben Straw <Nebula1183@...> wrote:

                > The problem I see is that feedburner isnt pulling the right feed, just take look at them the content dont match.
                >

                > Benjamin Straw - CEO Qetuo Media - http://Qetuo.me
                > P: 1-304-449-4335
                > Skype: n3bb3n
                > Twitter: Twitter.com/nebben
                > Want to Learn About Podcasting? - http://How2Podcast.com
                >

                > ________________________________

              • cianmacmahon
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 20, 2010
                  As far as I can tell, that's the same content. The browser is just creating a summery out of the shownotes text, while Feedburner is showing it all, then wrapping it up to make it look pretty.

                  Look: Your site does it too. http://www.how2podcast.com/feed/ (your podpress feed, as far as I can tell) http://feeds.feedburner.com/How2Podcast (your feedburner feed)

                  As far as I can tell it's normal and nothing to worry about.

                • cianmacmahon
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 20, 2010
                    I didn't quite understand that, sorry.

                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Sharpe" <windytwit@...> wrote:

                    > What two 404?

                  • Walt Snider
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 2, 2010
                      Sorry, I don't know if this has been mentioned... I'm about to go out but wanted to mention that feedburner wants your feeds less than 512k. Depending on how much extra info you keep in your feed, this could be 500 or 50 episodes worth. Hope this helps.

                      Walt Snider
                      (954) 779-6397
                      www.WaltSnider.com