Re: [podcasters] Feed too large in Feedburner

  • Todd Cochrane
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 20, 2010
      iTunes starts rejecting feeds over 256k if your using powerpress you
      already have a podcast only feed that would be the one to use on
      feedburner. You dont need to make a category feed or anything just look
      at the podcast feed powerpress creates for you and check its size then
      adjust as necessary the number of episodes you can have listed. Its not
      a good idea to have a large feed anyway the larger the feed the longer
      it takes to load.

      cianmacmahon wrote:

      > So, I recently took over control of my feed from Libsyn (Thanks for
      > the help, guys! Great support team) and noticed that Feedburner
      > started making all sorts of complaints about the feed being over 512kb
      > and thus too big. I have had to wittle the feed down to the 12 most
      > recent episodes. However, when the feed was with Libsyn, there were
      > over a hundred episodes in it.
      >
      > I'm using PowerPress, and was wondering if anybody know how to best
      > fit all the episodes into the feed again?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Cian

    • cianmacmahon
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 20, 2010
        Yup, I am using that feed, but anything over about 15 items results in the "feed too large" warning, even though when I was running the feed through libsyn I had well over a hundred items in the feed, and it was running just fine.

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Todd Cochrane <geeknews@...> wrote:

        > iTunes starts rejecting feeds over 256k if your using powerpress you
        > already have a podcast only feed that would be the one to use on
        > feedburner. You dont need to make a category feed or anything just look
        > at the podcast feed powerpress creates for you and check its size then
        > adjust as necessary the number of episodes you can have listed. Its not
        > a good idea to have a large feed anyway the larger the feed the longer
        > it takes to load.
        >
        > cianmacmahon wrote:
        > >
        > > So, I recently took over control of my feed from Libsyn (Thanks for
        > > the help, guys! Great support team) and noticed that Feedburner
        > > started making all sorts of complaints about the feed being over 512kb
        > > and thus too big. I have had to wittle the feed down to the 12 most
        > > recent episodes. However, when the feed was with Libsyn, there were
        > > over a hundred episodes in it.
        > >
        > > I'm using PowerPress, and was wondering if anybody know how to best
        > > fit all the episodes into the feed again?
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > Cian

      • cianmacmahon
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 20, 2010
          Thanks for the ideas!

          I am using the special podcast feed, so any extra blog posts shouldn't be effecting it. My concern was more how to get back to having over about 15 posts in the feed, as when I was running it through libsyn I had well over 100 items in the feed with no errors whatsoever.

          Thanks again!
          Cian
          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Ben Straw <Nebula1183@...> wrote:

          > From the sound of it you are also blogging on your website, this is useless to iTunes, Zune, and other audio/video aggregators.
          > What I would do is have feedburner pull from a category that is for audio/video only (http://www.yoursite.com/category/podcast) instead of a feed that has everything.
          > also in powerpress you can set the maximum recent posts (Powerpress > Settings > Feeds)
          >
          > Benjamin Straw - CEO Qetuo Media - http://Qetuo.me
          > P: 1-304-449-4335
          > Skype: n3bb3n
          > Twitter: Twitter.com/nebben
          >
          > Want to Learn About Podcasting? - http://How2Podcast.com
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Ben Straw
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 20, 2010
            Post the URL to your feed

            Benjamin Straw - CEO Qetuo Media - http://Qetuo.me
            P: 1-304-449-4335
            Skype: n3bb3n
            Twitter: Twitter.com/nebben
            Want to Learn About Podcasting? - http://How2Podcast.com

            ________________________________
            Yup, I am using that feed, but anything over about 15 items results in the "feed too large" warning, even though when I was running the feed through libsyn I had well over a hundred items in the feed, and it was running just fine.

            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Todd Cochrane <geeknews@...> wrote:

            > iTunes starts rejecting feeds over 256k if your using powerpress you
            > already have a podcast only feed that would be the one to use on
            > feedburner. You dont need to make a category feed or anything just look
            > at the podcast feed powerpress creates for you and check its size then
            > adjust as necessary the number of episodes you can have listed. Its not
            > a good idea to have a large feed anyway the larger the feed the longer
            > it takes to load.
            >
            > cianmacmahon wrote:
            > >
            > > So, I recently took over control of my feed from Libsyn (Thanks for
            > > the help, guys! Great support team) and noticed that Feedburner
            > > started making all sorts of complaints about the feed being over 512kb
            > > and thus too big. I have had to wittle the feed down to the 12 most
            > > recent episodes. However, when the feed was with Libsyn, there were
            > > over a hundred episodes in it.
            > >
            > > I'm using PowerPress, and was wondering if anybody know how to best
            > > fit all the episodes into the feed again?
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > Cian

          • cianmacmahon
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 20, 2010
              Here you go! Fiddled around with it some more, I have now got 35 items showing in the feed, which is a marked improvement. Considering yesterday wouldn't accept more then 15, I have started considering this may have been a Feedburner bug.

              the original feed is at http://viewfromthequad.com/feed/podcast

              The Feedburner version is at http://feeds.feedburner.com/VFTQ

              Later today, when I am at my computer (all this iPhone fiddling about is starting to wear on the eyes, at a friend's computer but can't stay long) I will start increasing it incrementally again, to see where I get too.

              Thanks,
              Cian

              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Ben Straw <Nebula1183@...> wrote:

              > Post the URL to your feed
              >
              > Benjamin Straw - CEO Qetuo Media - http://Qetuo.me
              > P: 1-304-449-4335
              > Skype: n3bb3n
              > Twitter: Twitter.com/nebben
              > Want to Learn About Podcasting? - http://How2Podcast.com
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Ben Straw
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 20, 2010
                The problem I see is that feedburner isnt pulling the right feed, just take look at them the content dont match.

              • cianmacmahon
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 20, 2010
                  Whoa.

                  Looking at them in browser, they seem identical (other then Feedburner adding formatting and not cutting the posts off), items in the right order and everything, but if I add them both to a RSS reader, things on the feedburner feed are all out of order.

                  That is very odd.

                  I just checked, and feedburner is indeed reading the original powerpress feed.

                • Ben Straw
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 20, 2010
                    here is what I see in my browser http://grab.by/52l0 this is your feed from your website
                    this is feedburner http://grab.by/52l2

                    Benjamin Straw - CEO Qetuo Media - http://Qetuo.me
                    P: 1-304-449-4335
                    Skype: n3bb3n
                    Twitter: Twitter.com/nebben
                    Want to Learn About Podcasting? - http://How2Podcast.com

                    ________________________________
                    Looking at them in browser, they seem identical (other then Feedburner adding formatting and not cutting the posts off), items in the right order and everything, but if I add them both to a RSS reader, things on the feedburner feed are all out of order.

                    That is very odd.

                    I just checked, and feedburner is indeed reading the original powerpress feed.

                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Ben Straw <Nebula1183@...> wrote:

                    > The problem I see is that feedburner isnt pulling the right feed, just take look at them the content dont match.
                    >

                    > Benjamin Straw - CEO Qetuo Media - http://Qetuo.me
                    > P: 1-304-449-4335
                    > Skype: n3bb3n
                    > Twitter: Twitter.com/nebben
                    > Want to Learn About Podcasting? - http://How2Podcast.com
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • Mike Sharpe
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 20, 2010
                      What two 404?

                      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com <mailto:podcasters%40yahoogroups.com> , Ben Straw <Nebula1183@...> wrote:

                      > The problem I see is that feedburner isnt pulling the right feed, just take look at them the content dont match.
                      >

                      > Benjamin Straw - CEO Qetuo Media - http://Qetuo.me
                      > P: 1-304-449-4335
                      > Skype: n3bb3n
                      > Twitter: Twitter.com/nebben
                      > Want to Learn About Podcasting? - http://How2Podcast.com
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • cianmacmahon
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 20, 2010
                        As far as I can tell, that's the same content. The browser is just creating a summery out of the shownotes text, while Feedburner is showing it all, then wrapping it up to make it look pretty.

                        Look: Your site does it too. http://www.how2podcast.com/feed/ (your podpress feed, as far as I can tell) http://feeds.feedburner.com/How2Podcast (your feedburner feed)

                        As far as I can tell it's normal and nothing to worry about.

                      • cianmacmahon
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 20, 2010
                          I didn't quite understand that, sorry.

                          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Sharpe" <windytwit@...> wrote:

                          > What two 404?

                        • Walt Snider
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 2, 2010
                            Sorry, I don't know if this has been mentioned... I'm about to go out but wanted to mention that feedburner wants your feeds less than 512k. Depending on how much extra info you keep in your feed, this could be 500 or 50 episodes worth. Hope this helps.

                            Walt Snider
                            (954) 779-6397
                            www.WaltSnider.com