About voxpops in th UK

  • zzippster
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2010
      Can anybody put there help with the legal rules I would have to follow to undertake voxpops interviews in my towns streets for my podcast?
      Thanks
      Peter
      http://www.zzipp.podomatic.com
    • Ben Straw
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2010
        If its just audio I would say its fair use, but if your doing video I would be afraid to catch someone on video that us under a witness protection program. I would say its the same type of thing there in the UK. Think of it this way; Can you go out into public and take a picture of something with a croud, and sell it? If you can I would say its ok to vox pop
        BTW for those who dont know what vox pop is here is a link to help.
        http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_561511372_561511372/prevpage.html

        Benjamin Straw
        P: 1-304-449-4335
        Skype: n3bb3n
        Twitter: twitter.com/nebben

        How 2 Podcast - http://How2Podcast.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 5, 2010
          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "zzippster" <zzippster@...> wrote:

          > Can anybody put there help with the legal rules I would have to follow to undertake voxpops interviews in my towns streets for my podcast?
          > Thanks
          > Peter

          The general rule is that you can record someone unintentionally without their permission but you can't record someone intentionally without their permission.

          So if you're doing interviews you need to get the permission of the person you're interviewing to use the material. (Even just a verbal okay is sufficient.) However, if you catch someone in the background then you don't need to bother. And even if the recording is illegal, it's a civil violation so unless they bother to sue you (within the statue of limitations) there's not much you have to worry about.

          And even that's only likely to happen should you film them doing something illegal for which they are charged or you make money off the recording. It's a pain for someone to sue so unless they feel they can make a lot from doing so it's not worth their while.