Video bitrate for screen casts

  • Ivy Reisner
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2010
      Hi,

      I'm going to be doing some videos for my company. They're going to be
      available two ways--as a podcast and as a streaming video. What bitrate
      should I be shooting for?

      Thanks for your help.

      Yours,
      Ivy
    • andrew clarke
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 4, 2010
        On Thu 2010-06-03 11:26:24 UTC-0400, Ivy Reisner (ivy@...) wrote:

        > I'm going to be doing some videos for my company. They're going to be
        > available two ways--as a podcast and as a streaming video. What bitrate
        > should I be shooting for?

        It depends on what you are shooting and what resolution you want to
        display it at. Fast movement (eg. sports) video requires a higher
        bitrate compared to drama. Screencasts generally require high
        resolution but a relatively low bitrate.

        For its low resolution MPEG-4 streams, YouTube's encodes videos at 640
        kbit/sec at 480x360 resolution, 30 frames per second. Roughly 5
        megabytes a minute.