Re: [podcasters] Looking for New Hosting Service

  • Todd Cochrane
    Message 1 of 12 , May 29, 2010
      Dreamhost is unlimited until you use to much or within reason :)

      David Jackson wrote:
      > For what its worth, I thought dreamhost had a clunky interface. Thats why I
      > like Host Gator <http://www.coolerwebsites.com/hostgator>, they have a very
      > user friendly interface. The one thing that drew me to Deam Host was their
      > unlimited bandwidth (which pretty much everybody has). They have the
      > fantastico system which makes installing wordpress about a four click
      > process.
      >
      > Dave Jackson
      > www.schoolofpodcasting.com
      >
      > On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Peter Mezensky <peter@...>wrote:
      >

      >> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 6:35 PM, Shawn Thorpe <shawnogordo@...<shawnogordo%40gmail.com>>
      >> wrote:
      >>
      >>> Used to be a time on this list when this topic would come up and a bunch
      >>>
      >> of
      >>
      >>> people would chime in with their DreamHost promo codes. I don't have one,
      >>> but if you search around, they're pretty easy to find.
      >>>
      >> you could use promo code "MISSPETER" for $97 off the one year plan :)
      >> I would have chimed in earlier but I didn't want to seem like a
      >> spammer. I've been with dreamhost for a few years and only had a
      >> little bit of a glitch with them a few years ago. Unlimited everything
      >> (with the usual ***)

    • David Smith
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 2 1:26 PM
        Sounds entirely accurate. FWIW, I have three podcasts entirely hosted on
        Libsyn using my paid-for storage space. For a while, though, I was doing
        a half-hour live show on BlogtalkRadio five days a week, -way- too much
        data to fit my account on Libsyn. For that one I stored the files out on
        Archive.org, used a stupid-Libsyn-trick to have entries in those feeds
        point to the Archive files, -and- did what you describe to create a
        separate blog/feed on Blogger.

        Downside of using Archive.org; don't get detailed stats on individual
        episodes, just on my whole pile of files. Feedburner fills the gap there,
        up to a point, -if- they're downloading via the feed.

        It was 29 May 2010, when joshuamcnichols commented:

        > I have enjoyed the free hosting provided by the Internet Archive. They
        > don't charge for bandwidth or anything! I run a pretty small podcast, so I
        > don't know if you'd run into problems with higher volumes of traffic. But
        > from where I sit, it's hard to imagine having to pay for hosting. Here's my
        > how to create a podcast, including instructions for using the free Internet
        > Archive service as your host. Some of this is probably old hat for you more
        > experienced podcasters. But I never found simple advice in one place, so
        > maybe these instructions will help someone else.
        >
        > Here's how I use this service:
        > 1. I upload my mp3s one at a time to the Internet Archive. Bookmark the
        > actual page for your mp3 so you won't lose it.
        >
        > 2. Then, I set up a blog in blogger, and make sure I have "Show Link
        > Fields" enabled in blogger's settings/formatting section.
        >
        > 3. On the page for your mp3 in the internet archive, right-click on the
        > link to the mp3 file and save the url address to your clipboard.
        >
        > 4. Create a new blog entry in blogger. Click on "add enclosure link" to
        > open a field for your podcast url. Paste that url in the the "enclosure
        > link" field.
        >
        > 5. Add a nice photo, and provide a description of the podcast episode.
        >
        > 6. From the internet archive page for your url, copy the "embed" html from
        > beneath the little player. Paste that code at the end of your blog entry,
        > once you've opened the html tab of course. This will embed a handy player
        > on your blog. I find this player better than Podbean because Podbean seems
        > likely to go out of business (I have no evidence except their user
        > interface is messy, except for the player).
        >
        > 7. Publish the completed podcast episode in blogger.
        >
        > 8. At some point in this process (doesn't matter when), go to
        > feedburner.com and "claim" the feed for your blog. Do this simply by
        > pasting the blog's url in feedburner's field when it prompts you.
        >
        > 9. The little RSS icon in the feed you've created will take you to the
        > actual podcast feed. Copy the address of this feed from your address bar.
        > Then go into your blogger's blog settings and designate that URL as your
        > official feed.
        >
        > 10. Repeat until you have a few episodes, then submit it to itunes for
        > listing in their store.
        >
        > Joshua McNichols
        > p.s. please check out my very entertaining podcast!
        > Dayjob: How Musicians Pay the Rent
        > http://dayjobseattle.blogspot.com/

        grizzly at grizzlysgrowls dot com
        Grizzly's Podcasts & Stories: <http://grizzlysgrowls.com>