Re: [podcasters] Looking for New Hosting Service

  • Todd Cochrane
    Message 1 of 12 , May 29, 2010
      Another caution, it is not advisable to host your media the same place
      your website is. The reason is simple and I have seen it hundreds of
      times over the past 6 years. A show is doing minimal numbers 1k
      downloads per episode then all of a sudden they get a digg like event,
      or they get featured on WSJ or some other site that drives in a huge
      number of new listeners. Your server essentially gets taken out by the
      rush. The limited resources on a shared hosting account get overwhelmed
      by not only web hits but also media download request.

      When we introduced the Blubrry and TechPodcasts Channel on the Roku we
      had host get crushed under the load because they were hosting their
      video files on shared hosting accounts like dreamhost. They went from
      1TB of video traffic per month to 24TB of traffic per month and they got
      shutdown on their 7th day of high volume. Some folks end up with huge
      overage bills because they simply blow their alloted bandwidth out. Not
      to mention the video viewing performance on most shared hosts is simply
      crap. There is no way most shared host can deliver the video content to
      multiple viewers in a fashion that made it a enjoyable experience for
      the consumer.

      With over 50% of the listening / viewing audiences doing it real time
      the last thing you want is to have a crappy listener/viewer experience.

      During our trials of getting ready to launch on the Roku and Boxee we
      did performance tests, one of the podcast hosting providers that has
      been mentioned in this thread download speeds do not meet the criteria
      to be viewed on the Roku or Boxee. We have had to inform those hosts
      that have their media their that they cannot be featured on the Roku or
      Boxee device due to the horrible download performance.

      While I know that both RawVoice/Blubrry and Libsyn serve their media
      from CDN's. I can only speak from what we do at RawVoice. We only user
      commercial CDN's that sole business is to move media at very high
      performance from multiple points of origin. We backup all of our hosted
      media with Amazon S3 and then the media is cached out to the cloud for
      delivery by the CDN. We price our hosting so we do not loose money and
      can stay in business over the long haul, but the margins on hosting
      media are very narrow no one is getting rich at current pricing levels.
      RawVoice is in business to stay in business and keep doing what we do best..

      Also with over 1000 podcasters on advertising deals with us. We are
      always looking for more inventory to move advertising in. If you have
      been thinking about finding a sponsor for your show, we are putting
      together our Quarter 3 campaigns now. The only folks I cannot put on ad
      deals are those hosting and using the rss feeds at Podbean / Mevio we
      have no way to measure their downloads as their rss feeds are walled
      gardens. If you have your own wordpress site (recommended) and are using
      our Powerpress plugin integration to our stats service is easy. Also on
      Tuesday we will be rolling out a new version of Blubrry.com which is way
      over due.. It will be 100% HTML5 capable and we will be incorporating
      that into PowerPress shortly.

      Todd Cochrane
      Podcaster
      CEO RawVoice
      twitter: geeknews

      David Jackson wrote:
      > Most "normal" hosts have a ** next to their unlimited hosting packages
      > (something like unlimited as long as you don't put X amount of strain on
      > server). I love Host Gator <http://www.schoolofpodcasting.com/hosting> for
      > my website. No nickle and dime of Go Daddy, and great customer support. I
      > would look to Libsyn, or blubrry for hosting your media.
      >
      > Dave Jackson
      > www.schoolofpodcasting.com
      > On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:
      >

      >> Greetngs all,
      >>
      >> Well, I'm fed up with GoDaddy. They stole my domain name and then tried to
      >> charge me huge fees to negotiate it back. The whole sordid tale is on my
      >> web site here<
      >> http://www.stuckintraffic.com/2010/05/godaddy-we-hates-it.html>:
      >>
      >> But enough about that. I'm looking for a basic web hosting company that
      >> will
      >> let me point a domain name to a file directory on my account and serve up
      >> my
      >> mp3 file from the directory. That's all I need. I don't need any fancy
      >> hosting tools. I just need file serving capability.
      >>
      >> Any suggestions are appreciated. I'm gonna go look at libsyn again. I've
      >> already looked at Amazon S3 and rejected them. (too expensive.) But ideally
      >> I'd like a basic web site hosting company that has a fixed low cost, high
      >> bandwidth allowance, yada yada yada.
      >>
      >> Thanks,
      >> Calvin
      >>
      >> --

    • Todd Cochrane
      Message 2 of 12 , May 29, 2010
        Dreamhost is unlimited until you use to much or within reason :)

        David Jackson wrote:
        > For what its worth, I thought dreamhost had a clunky interface. Thats why I
        > like Host Gator <http://www.coolerwebsites.com/hostgator>, they have a very
        > user friendly interface. The one thing that drew me to Deam Host was their
        > unlimited bandwidth (which pretty much everybody has). They have the
        > fantastico system which makes installing wordpress about a four click
        > process.
        >
        > Dave Jackson
        > www.schoolofpodcasting.com
        >
        > On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Peter Mezensky <peter@...>wrote:
        >

        >> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 6:35 PM, Shawn Thorpe <shawnogordo@...<shawnogordo%40gmail.com>>
        >> wrote:
        >>
        >>> Used to be a time on this list when this topic would come up and a bunch
        >>>
        >> of
        >>
        >>> people would chime in with their DreamHost promo codes. I don't have one,
        >>> but if you search around, they're pretty easy to find.
        >>>
        >> you could use promo code "MISSPETER" for $97 off the one year plan :)
        >> I would have chimed in earlier but I didn't want to seem like a
        >> spammer. I've been with dreamhost for a few years and only had a
        >> little bit of a glitch with them a few years ago. Unlimited everything
        >> (with the usual ***)

      • David Smith
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 2, 2010
          Sounds entirely accurate. FWIW, I have three podcasts entirely hosted on
          Libsyn using my paid-for storage space. For a while, though, I was doing
          a half-hour live show on BlogtalkRadio five days a week, -way- too much
          data to fit my account on Libsyn. For that one I stored the files out on
          Archive.org, used a stupid-Libsyn-trick to have entries in those feeds
          point to the Archive files, -and- did what you describe to create a
          separate blog/feed on Blogger.

          Downside of using Archive.org; don't get detailed stats on individual
          episodes, just on my whole pile of files. Feedburner fills the gap there,
          up to a point, -if- they're downloading via the feed.

          It was 29 May 2010, when joshuamcnichols commented:

          > I have enjoyed the free hosting provided by the Internet Archive. They
          > don't charge for bandwidth or anything! I run a pretty small podcast, so I
          > don't know if you'd run into problems with higher volumes of traffic. But
          > from where I sit, it's hard to imagine having to pay for hosting. Here's my
          > how to create a podcast, including instructions for using the free Internet
          > Archive service as your host. Some of this is probably old hat for you more
          > experienced podcasters. But I never found simple advice in one place, so
          > maybe these instructions will help someone else.
          >
          > Here's how I use this service:
          > 1. I upload my mp3s one at a time to the Internet Archive. Bookmark the
          > actual page for your mp3 so you won't lose it.
          >
          > 2. Then, I set up a blog in blogger, and make sure I have "Show Link
          > Fields" enabled in blogger's settings/formatting section.
          >
          > 3. On the page for your mp3 in the internet archive, right-click on the
          > link to the mp3 file and save the url address to your clipboard.
          >
          > 4. Create a new blog entry in blogger. Click on "add enclosure link" to
          > open a field for your podcast url. Paste that url in the the "enclosure
          > link" field.
          >
          > 5. Add a nice photo, and provide a description of the podcast episode.
          >
          > 6. From the internet archive page for your url, copy the "embed" html from
          > beneath the little player. Paste that code at the end of your blog entry,
          > once you've opened the html tab of course. This will embed a handy player
          > on your blog. I find this player better than Podbean because Podbean seems
          > likely to go out of business (I have no evidence except their user
          > interface is messy, except for the player).
          >
          > 7. Publish the completed podcast episode in blogger.
          >
          > 8. At some point in this process (doesn't matter when), go to
          > feedburner.com and "claim" the feed for your blog. Do this simply by
          > pasting the blog's url in feedburner's field when it prompts you.
          >
          > 9. The little RSS icon in the feed you've created will take you to the
          > actual podcast feed. Copy the address of this feed from your address bar.
          > Then go into your blogger's blog settings and designate that URL as your
          > official feed.
          >
          > 10. Repeat until you have a few episodes, then submit it to itunes for
          > listing in their store.
          >
          > Joshua McNichols
          > p.s. please check out my very entertaining podcast!
          > Dayjob: How Musicians Pay the Rent
          > http://dayjobseattle.blogspot.com/

          grizzly at grizzlysgrowls dot com
          Grizzly's Podcasts & Stories: <http://grizzlysgrowls.com>