File compression / sampling

  • crossdrivenradio
    Message 1 of 3 , May 28, 2010
      I was wondering what type of file compression / sampling you all use. I produce a music podcast and I am using iTunes to convert my .wav files to mp3, and the end result is 192 kbps/44.1khz stereo.

      I was wondering what you sample your shows at, especially for music based shows.

      Charley
      www.crossdrivenradio.com
    • Nobilis Reed
      Message 2 of 3 , May 28, 2010
        The advice I was given, to make your mp3 files as compatible as
        possible with older model players, is to use 128kbps. The difference
        in sound quality with 192 is not audible to most people, and you'll
        save a little file size in the process.

        On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 7:41 AM, crossdrivenradio <charleyhays@...> wrote:
        > I was wondering what type of file compression / sampling you all use.  I produce a music podcast and I am using iTunes to convert my .wav files to mp3, and the end result is 192 kbps/44.1khz stereo.
        >
        > I was wondering what you sample your shows at, especially for music based shows.
        >
        > Charley
        > www.crossdrivenradio.com

        Weekly audio stories -- Nobilis Erotica: http://nobilis.libsyn.com
        -----
        99c short stories - http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/Nobilis
        -----
        Preorder your signed copy of "Scouts" - http://www.logical-lust.com/scouts.html
      • crafterlag
        Message 3 of 3 , May 28, 2010
          Hey Charlie,

          I checked out your show, and it looks like you do a lot of rock music, so it,s probably overkill to render your mp3,s to 192.

          My show is almost entirely music these days, releasing original experimental compositions. I render different pieces at different rates, depending on the content of the piece, starting at 128 and going up until the mp3 sounds like the wav. Unless my music has a lot of quiet parts, or if it involves a lot of very high or very low tones, I very rarely need to encode above 160.

          But always, 44.1khz, constant bitrate, joint stereo.

          Mer
          Braindouche.net
          Etcetera