Re: Torrents

  • Patrick McNa...
    Message 1 of 17 , May 27, 2010
      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:

      > On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 1:32 PM, andrew clarke <mail@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > ... the more popular podcasts probably have sponsors or encourage
      > > listener donations via PayPal, etc., so can afford to pay for web
      > > hosting instead of resorting to BitTorrent.
      >
      > The baseline Libsyn account is still $5 per month. If that's too much
      > money, there's always Archive.org. (Download speeds are sporadic
      > there, but it's still free.)
      >
      > And don't forget: less popular podcasts are likely to do *worse* with
      > BitTorrent. If nobody's seeding your content, it doesn't matter how
      > many places you have the .torrent file posted.

      Worse compared to what? I've seen better downloads from the torrents than from the RSS feeds, and there's nothing less popular than poetry.

      It is up to you to make sure that your podcast is seeded if you want people to download it. Fortunately, with Mininova's Content Distribution service, they provide a seed of the file.