Re:Torrents

  • Patrick McNa...
    Message 1 of 17 , May 27, 2010
      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Andelman/Mr. Media" <bob@...> wrote:

      > This is a fascinating discussion; I never even thought about distributing Mr. Media Radio files through torrents. Can anyone offer some how-to advice and where-to?
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Bob Andelman

      Go to Mininova.org and read up on their Content Distribution service. It's free and posting a file isn't any more difficult than posting one to Archive.org.
    • Patrick McNa...
      Message 2 of 17 , May 27, 2010
        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:

        > On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 10:25 AM, andrew clarke <mail@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > For very popular podcasts with a lot of listeners BitTorrent may
        > > still be useful, but the more popular podcasts probably have sponsors
        > > or encourage listener donations via PayPal, etc.
        >
        > It's only useful if enough listeners look for and download podcasts
        > via BitTorrent to make it worth the extra work.

        Maybe not, but people do go to torrent sites looking for stuff to download. And if they find the podcast there they might download it. However, how many people are going to go to a blog site if they don't even know about it?

        The torrents work not so much because it's a system of distribution as a system of promotion. By putting your podcast on a site like Mininova people can find it, particularly people who weren't even looking for it in the first place. That's why it works. It's like a directory. Unfortunately, not all torrent sites work like Mininova so new torrents can get buried on many torrent sites.
      • Patrick McNa...
        Message 3 of 17 , May 27, 2010
          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:

          > On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 1:32 PM, andrew clarke <mail@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > ... the more popular podcasts probably have sponsors or encourage
          > > listener donations via PayPal, etc., so can afford to pay for web
          > > hosting instead of resorting to BitTorrent.
          >
          > The baseline Libsyn account is still $5 per month. If that's too much
          > money, there's always Archive.org. (Download speeds are sporadic
          > there, but it's still free.)
          >
          > And don't forget: less popular podcasts are likely to do *worse* with
          > BitTorrent. If nobody's seeding your content, it doesn't matter how
          > many places you have the .torrent file posted.

          Worse compared to what? I've seen better downloads from the torrents than from the RSS feeds, and there's nothing less popular than poetry.

          It is up to you to make sure that your podcast is seeded if you want people to download it. Fortunately, with Mininova's Content Distribution service, they provide a seed of the file.