Re: [podcasters] Looking for New Hosting Service

  • Calvin Powers
    Message 1 of 12 , May 27 4:28 PM
      Thanks David,

      That's the second recommendation I've had for host gator so I'm gonna check
      them out. I also note that a recent lifehacker poll on the subject gave
      Dream Hot high marks.

      Calvin

      On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 5:42 PM, David Jackson <jammindave@...> wrote:

      > Most "normal" hosts have a ** next to their unlimited hosting packages
      > (something like unlimited as long as you don't put X amount of strain on
      > server). I love Host Gator <http://www.schoolofpodcasting.com/hosting> for
      > my website. No nickle and dime of Go Daddy, and great customer support. I
      > would look to Libsyn, or blubrry for hosting your media.
      >
      > Dave Jackson
      > www.schoolofpodcasting.com
      > On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Calvin Powers <calvin@...>
      > wrote:
      >

      > > Greetngs all,
      > >
      > > Well, I'm fed up with GoDaddy. They stole my domain name and then tried
      > > charge me huge fees to negotiate it back. The whole sordid tale is on my
      > > web site here<
      > > http://www.stuckintraffic.com/2010/05/godaddy-we-hates-it.html>:
      > >
      > > But enough about that. I'm looking for a basic web hosting company that
      > > will
      > > let me point a domain name to a file directory on my account and serve up
      > > my
      > > mp3 file from the directory. That's all I need. I don't need any fancy
      > > hosting tools. I just need file serving capability.
      > >
      > > Any suggestions are appreciated. I'm gonna go look at libsyn again. I've
      > > already looked at Amazon S3 and rejected them. (too expensive.) But
      > ideally
      > > I'd like a basic web site hosting company that has a fixed low cost, high
      > > bandwidth allowance, yada yada yada.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Calvin

      > Dave Jackson

    • Shawn Thorpe
      Message 2 of 12 , May 27 5:35 PM
        I've had good experiences with DreamHost and WPWebHost. But, unless you
        specifically want to host a WordPress MU installation, I wouldn't recommend
        WPWebHost.

        Used to be a time on this list when this topic would come up and a bunch of
        people would chime in with their DreamHost promo codes. I don't have one,
        but if you search around, they're pretty easy to find.

        On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 2:22 PM, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:

        > Greetngs all,
        >
        > Well, I'm fed up with GoDaddy. They stole my domain name and then tried to
        > charge me huge fees to negotiate it back. The whole sordid tale is on my
        > web site here<
        > http://www.stuckintraffic.com/2010/05/godaddy-we-hates-it.html>:
        >
        > But enough about that. I'm looking for a basic web hosting company that
        > will
        > let me point a domain name to a file directory on my account and serve up
        > my
        > mp3 file from the directory. That's all I need. I don't need any fancy
        > hosting tools. I just need file serving capability.
        >
        > Any suggestions are appreciated. I'm gonna go look at libsyn again. I've
        > already looked at Amazon S3 and rejected them. (too expensive.) But ideally
        > I'd like a basic web site hosting company that has a fixed low cost, high
        > bandwidth allowance, yada yada yada.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Calvin

        -Shawn Thorpe
        http://geminidragon.tv/ - stuff, we make it
        http://shawnogram.com/ - multimedia blog
        http://booksandwich.com/ - book reviews and more
        http://haikuoffrustration.com/ - submit your own!

      • Peter Mezensky
        Message 3 of 12 , May 28 7:22 AM
          On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 6:35 PM, Shawn Thorpe <shawnogordo@...> wrote:
          > Used to be a time on this list when this topic would come up and a bunch of
          > people would chime in with their DreamHost promo codes. I don't have one,
          > but if you search around, they're pretty easy to find.

          you could use promo code "MISSPETER" for $97 off the one year plan :)
          I would have chimed in earlier but I didn't want to seem like a
          spammer. I've been with dreamhost for a few years and only had a
          little bit of a glitch with them a few years ago. Unlimited everything
          (with the usual ***)

        • David Jackson
          Message 4 of 12 , May 28 11:01 AM
            For what its worth, I thought dreamhost had a clunky interface. Thats why I
            like Host Gator <http://www.coolerwebsites.com/hostgator>, they have a very
            user friendly interface. The one thing that drew me to Deam Host was their
            unlimited bandwidth (which pretty much everybody has). They have the
            fantastico system which makes installing wordpress about a four click
            process.

            Dave Jackson

            On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Peter Mezensky <peter@...>wrote:

            > On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 6:35 PM, Shawn Thorpe <shawnogordo@...<shawnogordo%40gmail.com>>
            > wrote:
            > > Used to be a time on this list when this topic would come up and a bunch
            > of
            > > people would chime in with their DreamHost promo codes. I don't have one,
            > > but if you search around, they're pretty easy to find.
            >
            > you could use promo code "MISSPETER" for $97 off the one year plan :)
            > I would have chimed in earlier but I didn't want to seem like a
            > spammer. I've been with dreamhost for a few years and only had a
            > little bit of a glitch with them a few years ago. Unlimited everything
            > (with the usual ***)

            Dave Jackson

          • Ben Straw
            Message 5 of 12 , May 28 1:01 PM
              I've used Hostgator for about 6 years now and had only one problem and that was support, well the problem was they wanted me to give them my password over a non secure chat window! but over all I host 4 podcasts and 8 domains and have had no problems.

              Benjamin Straw - CEO Qetuo Media
              P: 1-304-449-4335
              Skype: n3bb3n
              Twitter: twitter.com/nebben
              Qetuo Media - http://qetuo.me

              ________________________________
              For what its worth, I thought dreamhost had a clunky interface. Thats why I
              like Host Gator <http://www.coolerwebsites.com/hostgator>, they have a very
              user friendly interface. The one thing that drew me to Deam Host was their
              unlimited bandwidth (which pretty much everybody has). They have the
              fantastico system which makes installing wordpress about a four click
              process.

              Dave Jackson
              www.schoolofpodcasting.com

              On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Peter Mezensky <peter@...>wrote:

              > On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 6:35 PM, Shawn Thorpe <shawnogordo@...<shawnogordo%40gmail.com>>
              > wrote:
              > > Used to be a time on this list when this topic would come up and a bunch
              > of
              > > people would chime in with their DreamHost promo codes. I don't have one,
              > > but if you search around, they're pretty easy to find.
              >
              > you could use promo code "MISSPETER" for $97 off the one year plan :)
              > I would have chimed in earlier but I didn't want to seem like a
              > spammer. I've been with dreamhost for a few years and only had a
              > little bit of a glitch with them a few years ago. Unlimited everything
              > (with the usual ***)

              Dave Jackson

            • joshuamcnichols
              Message 6 of 12 , May 28 8:29 PM
                I have enjoyed the free hosting provided by the Internet Archive. They don't charge for bandwidth or anything! I run a pretty small podcast, so I don't know if you'd run into problems with higher volumes of traffic. But from where I sit, it's hard to imagine having to pay for hosting.
                Here's my how to create a podcast, including instructions for using the free Internet Archive service as your host. Some of this is probably old hat for you more experienced podcasters. But I never found simple advice in one place, so maybe these instructions will help someone else.

                Here's how I use this service:
                1. I upload my mp3s one at a time to the Internet Archive. Bookmark the actual page for your mp3 so you won't lose it.

                2. Then, I set up a blog in blogger, and make sure I have "Show Link Fields" enabled in blogger's settings/formatting section.

                3. On the page for your mp3 in the internet archive, right-click on the link to the mp3 file and save the url address to your clipboard.

                4. Create a new blog entry in blogger. Click on "add enclosure link" to open a field for your podcast url. Paste that url in the the "enclosure link" field.

                5. Add a nice photo, and provide a description of the podcast episode.

                6. From the internet archive page for your url, copy the "embed" html from beneath the little player. Paste that code at the end of your blog entry, once you've opened the html tab of course. This will embed a handy player on your blog. I find this player better than Podbean because Podbean seems likely to go out of business (I have no evidence except their user interface is messy, except for the player).

                7. Publish the completed podcast episode in blogger.

                8. At some point in this process (doesn't matter when), go to feedburner.com and "claim" the feed for your blog. Do this simply by pasting the blog's url in feedburner's field when it prompts you.

                9. The little RSS icon in the feed you've created will take you to the actual podcast feed. Copy the address of this feed from your address bar. Then go into your blogger's blog settings and designate that URL as your official feed.

                10. Repeat until you have a few episodes, then submit it to itunes for listing in their store.

                Joshua McNichols
                p.s. please check out my very entertaining podcast!
                Dayjob: How Musicians Pay the Rent
                http://dayjobseattle.blogspot.com/
              • Todd Cochrane
                Message 7 of 12 , May 29 1:07 PM
                  Another caution, it is not advisable to host your media the same place
                  your website is. The reason is simple and I have seen it hundreds of
                  times over the past 6 years. A show is doing minimal numbers 1k
                  downloads per episode then all of a sudden they get a digg like event,
                  or they get featured on WSJ or some other site that drives in a huge
                  number of new listeners. Your server essentially gets taken out by the
                  rush. The limited resources on a shared hosting account get overwhelmed
                  by not only web hits but also media download request.

                  When we introduced the Blubrry and TechPodcasts Channel on the Roku we
                  had host get crushed under the load because they were hosting their
                  video files on shared hosting accounts like dreamhost. They went from
                  1TB of video traffic per month to 24TB of traffic per month and they got
                  shutdown on their 7th day of high volume. Some folks end up with huge
                  overage bills because they simply blow their alloted bandwidth out. Not
                  to mention the video viewing performance on most shared hosts is simply
                  crap. There is no way most shared host can deliver the video content to
                  multiple viewers in a fashion that made it a enjoyable experience for
                  the consumer.

                  With over 50% of the listening / viewing audiences doing it real time
                  the last thing you want is to have a crappy listener/viewer experience.

                  During our trials of getting ready to launch on the Roku and Boxee we
                  did performance tests, one of the podcast hosting providers that has
                  been mentioned in this thread download speeds do not meet the criteria
                  to be viewed on the Roku or Boxee. We have had to inform those hosts
                  that have their media their that they cannot be featured on the Roku or
                  Boxee device due to the horrible download performance.

                  While I know that both RawVoice/Blubrry and Libsyn serve their media
                  from CDN's. I can only speak from what we do at RawVoice. We only user
                  commercial CDN's that sole business is to move media at very high
                  performance from multiple points of origin. We backup all of our hosted
                  media with Amazon S3 and then the media is cached out to the cloud for
                  delivery by the CDN. We price our hosting so we do not loose money and
                  can stay in business over the long haul, but the margins on hosting
                  media are very narrow no one is getting rich at current pricing levels.
                  RawVoice is in business to stay in business and keep doing what we do best..

                  Also with over 1000 podcasters on advertising deals with us. We are
                  always looking for more inventory to move advertising in. If you have
                  been thinking about finding a sponsor for your show, we are putting
                  together our Quarter 3 campaigns now. The only folks I cannot put on ad
                  deals are those hosting and using the rss feeds at Podbean / Mevio we
                  have no way to measure their downloads as their rss feeds are walled
                  gardens. If you have your own wordpress site (recommended) and are using
                  our Powerpress plugin integration to our stats service is easy. Also on
                  Tuesday we will be rolling out a new version of Blubrry.com which is way
                  over due.. It will be 100% HTML5 capable and we will be incorporating
                  that into PowerPress shortly.

                  Todd Cochrane
                  Podcaster
                  CEO RawVoice
                  twitter: geeknews

                  David Jackson wrote:
                  > Most "normal" hosts have a ** next to their unlimited hosting packages
                  > (something like unlimited as long as you don't put X amount of strain on
                  > server). I love Host Gator <http://www.schoolofpodcasting.com/hosting> for
                  > my website. No nickle and dime of Go Daddy, and great customer support. I
                  > would look to Libsyn, or blubrry for hosting your media.
                  >
                  > Dave Jackson
                  > www.schoolofpodcasting.com
                  > On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:
                  >

                  >> Greetngs all,
                  >>
                  >> Well, I'm fed up with GoDaddy. They stole my domain name and then tried to
                  >> charge me huge fees to negotiate it back. The whole sordid tale is on my
                  >> web site here<
                  >> http://www.stuckintraffic.com/2010/05/godaddy-we-hates-it.html>:
                  >>
                  >> But enough about that. I'm looking for a basic web hosting company that
                  >> will
                  >> let me point a domain name to a file directory on my account and serve up
                  >> my
                  >> mp3 file from the directory. That's all I need. I don't need any fancy
                  >> hosting tools. I just need file serving capability.
                  >>
                  >> Any suggestions are appreciated. I'm gonna go look at libsyn again. I've
                  >> already looked at Amazon S3 and rejected them. (too expensive.) But ideally
                  >> I'd like a basic web site hosting company that has a fixed low cost, high
                  >> bandwidth allowance, yada yada yada.
                  >>
                  >> Thanks,
                  >> Calvin
                  >>
                  >> --

                • Todd Cochrane
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 29 1:14 PM
                    Dreamhost is unlimited until you use to much or within reason :)

                    David Jackson wrote:
                    > For what its worth, I thought dreamhost had a clunky interface. Thats why I
                    > like Host Gator <http://www.coolerwebsites.com/hostgator>, they have a very
                    > user friendly interface. The one thing that drew me to Deam Host was their
                    > unlimited bandwidth (which pretty much everybody has). They have the
                    > fantastico system which makes installing wordpress about a four click
                    > process.
                    >
                    > Dave Jackson
                    > www.schoolofpodcasting.com
                    >
                    > On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Peter Mezensky <peter@...>wrote:
                    >

                    >> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 6:35 PM, Shawn Thorpe <shawnogordo@...<shawnogordo%40gmail.com>>
                    >> wrote:
                    >>
                    >>> Used to be a time on this list when this topic would come up and a bunch
                    >>>
                    >> of
                    >>
                    >>> people would chime in with their DreamHost promo codes. I don't have one,
                    >>> but if you search around, they're pretty easy to find.
                    >>>
                    >> you could use promo code "MISSPETER" for $97 off the one year plan :)
                    >> I would have chimed in earlier but I didn't want to seem like a
                    >> spammer. I've been with dreamhost for a few years and only had a
                    >> little bit of a glitch with them a few years ago. Unlimited everything
                    >> (with the usual ***)

                  • David Smith
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 2, 2010
                      Sounds entirely accurate. FWIW, I have three podcasts entirely hosted on
                      Libsyn using my paid-for storage space. For a while, though, I was doing
                      a half-hour live show on BlogtalkRadio five days a week, -way- too much
                      data to fit my account on Libsyn. For that one I stored the files out on
                      Archive.org, used a stupid-Libsyn-trick to have entries in those feeds
                      point to the Archive files, -and- did what you describe to create a
                      separate blog/feed on Blogger.

                      Downside of using Archive.org; don't get detailed stats on individual
                      episodes, just on my whole pile of files. Feedburner fills the gap there,
                      up to a point, -if- they're downloading via the feed.

                      It was 29 May 2010, when joshuamcnichols commented:

                      > I have enjoyed the free hosting provided by the Internet Archive. They
                      > don't charge for bandwidth or anything! I run a pretty small podcast, so I
                      > don't know if you'd run into problems with higher volumes of traffic. But
                      > from where I sit, it's hard to imagine having to pay for hosting. Here's my
                      > how to create a podcast, including instructions for using the free Internet
                      > Archive service as your host. Some of this is probably old hat for you more
                      > experienced podcasters. But I never found simple advice in one place, so
                      > maybe these instructions will help someone else.
                      >
                      > Here's how I use this service:
                      > 1. I upload my mp3s one at a time to the Internet Archive. Bookmark the
                      > actual page for your mp3 so you won't lose it.
                      >
                      > 2. Then, I set up a blog in blogger, and make sure I have "Show Link
                      > Fields" enabled in blogger's settings/formatting section.
                      >
                      > 3. On the page for your mp3 in the internet archive, right-click on the
                      > link to the mp3 file and save the url address to your clipboard.
                      >
                      > 4. Create a new blog entry in blogger. Click on "add enclosure link" to
                      > open a field for your podcast url. Paste that url in the the "enclosure
                      > link" field.
                      >
                      > 5. Add a nice photo, and provide a description of the podcast episode.
                      >
                      > 6. From the internet archive page for your url, copy the "embed" html from
                      > beneath the little player. Paste that code at the end of your blog entry,
                      > once you've opened the html tab of course. This will embed a handy player
                      > on your blog. I find this player better than Podbean because Podbean seems
                      > likely to go out of business (I have no evidence except their user
                      > interface is messy, except for the player).
                      >
                      > 7. Publish the completed podcast episode in blogger.
                      >
                      > 8. At some point in this process (doesn't matter when), go to
                      > feedburner.com and "claim" the feed for your blog. Do this simply by
                      > pasting the blog's url in feedburner's field when it prompts you.
                      >
                      > 9. The little RSS icon in the feed you've created will take you to the
                      > actual podcast feed. Copy the address of this feed from your address bar.
                      > Then go into your blogger's blog settings and designate that URL as your
                      > official feed.
                      >
                      > 10. Repeat until you have a few episodes, then submit it to itunes for
                      > listing in their store.
                      >
                      > Joshua McNichols
                      > p.s. please check out my very entertaining podcast!
                      > Dayjob: How Musicians Pay the Rent
                      > http://dayjobseattle.blogspot.com/

                      grizzly at grizzlysgrowls dot com
                      Grizzly's Podcasts & Stories: <http://grizzlysgrowls.com>