Re: [podcasters] Podbean

  • David Jackson
    Message 1 of 8 , May 27, 2010
      No,
      Podbean does a lot of things "for you" that make it very hard to leave them.
      They submit your podcast to iTunes HORRIBLE - YOU should own that (or am I
      getting them confused with talkshoe...). They make you use THEIR RSS feed.
      HORRIBLE - YOU want control over your RSS feed. That feed is your lifeline
      to your people so if you ever want to move, you can. (Which is why I use
      feedburner, you just update feedburner and the listener nevers knows
      something changed). There is no way to put a feedburner feed on a podbean
      site.

      The best podcasting solution is libsyn.com and a self
      hosted<http://www.schoolofpodcasting.com/hosting>Wordpress blog. It
      will run you around 20 bucks a month for both of those,
      but you are in control, you have stats, and total flexibility etc.

      As a podcast consultant I've moved at least 5 people over the years from
      Podbean who were ready to "Start podcasting for real."

      Likewise, Amazon S3 seems so cheap for hosting media files. I experimented
      with them, and the last two months my "cheaper" bill has been over $40. (see
      http://davidjackson.org/2010/05/26/why-and-how-im-moving-from-amazon-s3/ for
      more info).
      so again I say, get some hosting, install wordpress, get some libsyn.com and
      avoid the "starter home" of hosting Podbean.

      Just my opinion

      Dave Jackson
      On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 1:45 PM, tim <lovetoloveyou@...> wrote:

      > Is n't podbean one of the great podcast sites ?
      > Ive joined there recently and it looks great...
      >
      > But podcasts are no big deal... they are just files , audio , music, vid
      > etc,
      > stored up on a server ....... am I wrong ?
      >
      > I could start my own podcast site using yahoo groups could nt I ?, and use
      > the 100 meg free storage to put audio files up there .
      >
      > Could nt I do the same with word press blogs too ?
      >
      > Theres tons of free storage around... no probs...

      Dave Jackson

    • tim
      Message 2 of 8 , May 27, 2010
        MAYBE theres more to this podcasting lark than meets the eye...

        rss feeds, Ive seen them, but have nt yet figured out what they are !
        and what they do, Ill have to look them up in wiki some time .

        > To: podcasters@yahoogroups.com
        > From: jammindave@...
        > Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 16:08:41 -0400
        > Subject: Re: [podcasters] Podbean
        >
        > No,
        > Podbean does a lot of things "for you" that make it very hard to leave them.
        > They submit your podcast to iTunes HORRIBLE - YOU should own that (or am I
        > getting them confused with talkshoe...). They make you use THEIR RSS feed.
        > HORRIBLE - YOU want control over your RSS feed. That feed is your lifeline
        > to your people so if you ever want to move, you can. (Which is why I use
        > feedburner, you just update feedburner and the listener nevers knows
        > something changed). There is no way to put a feedburner feed on a podbean
        > site.
        >
        > The best podcasting solution is libsyn.com and a self
        > hosted<http://www.schoolofpodcasting.com/hosting>Wordpress blog. It
        > will run you around 20 bucks a month for both of those,
        > but you are in control, you have stats, and total flexibility etc.
        >
        > As a podcast consultant I've moved at least 5 people over the years from
        > Podbean who were ready to "Start podcasting for real."
        >
        > Likewise, Amazon S3 seems so cheap for hosting media files. I experimented
        > with them, and the last two months my "cheaper" bill has been over $40. (see
        > http://davidjackson.org/2010/05/26/why-and-how-im-moving-from-amazon-s3/ for
        > more info).
        > so again I say, get some hosting, install wordpress, get some libsyn.com and
        > avoid the "starter home" of hosting Podbean.
        >
        > Just my opinion
        >
        > Dave Jackson
        > www.schoolofpodcasting.com
        > On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 1:45 PM, tim <lovetoloveyou@...> wrote:
        >

        > > Is n't podbean one of the great podcast sites ?
        > > Ive joined there recently and it looks great...
        > >
        > > But podcasts are no big deal... they are just files , audio , music, vid
        > > etc,
        > > stored up on a server ....... am I wrong ?
        > >
        > > I could start my own podcast site using yahoo groups could nt I ?, and use
        > > the 100 meg free storage to put audio files up there .
        > >
        > > Could nt I do the same with word press blogs too ?
        > >
        > > Theres tons of free storage around... no probs...

        > Dave Jackson

      • Charley Hays
        Message 3 of 8 , May 27, 2010
          You should look up the School Of Podcasting in itunes. He has some back
          episodes that talk about this very thing. The site is also well worth a
          trial as well!

          On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 4:37 PM, tim <lovetoloveyou@...> wrote:

          > MAYBE theres more to this podcasting lark than meets the eye...
          >
          > rss feeds, Ive seen them, but have nt yet figured out what they are !
          > and what they do, Ill have to look them up in wiki some time .
          >
          > > To: podcasters@yahoogroups.com <podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>
          > > From: jammindave@... <jammindave%40gmail.com>
          > > Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 16:08:41 -0400
          > > Subject: Re: [podcasters] Podbean
          >

          > > No,
          > > Podbean does a lot of things "for you" that make it very hard to leave
          > them.
          > > They submit your podcast to iTunes HORRIBLE - YOU should own that (or am
          > > getting them confused with talkshoe...). They make you use THEIR RSS
          > feed.
          > > HORRIBLE - YOU want control over your RSS feed. That feed is your
          > lifeline
          > > to your people so if you ever want to move, you can. (Which is why I use
          > > feedburner, you just update feedburner and the listener nevers knows
          > > something changed). There is no way to put a feedburner feed on a podbean
          > > site.
          > >
          > > The best podcasting solution is libsyn.com and a self
          > > hosted<http://www.schoolofpodcasting.com/hosting>Wordpress blog. It
          > > will run you around 20 bucks a month for both of those,
          > > but you are in control, you have stats, and total flexibility etc.
          > >
          > > As a podcast consultant I've moved at least 5 people over the years from
          > > Podbean who were ready to "Start podcasting for real."
          > >
          > > Likewise, Amazon S3 seems so cheap for hosting media files. I
          > experimented
          > > with them, and the last two months my "cheaper" bill has been over $40.
          > (see
          > > http://davidjackson.org/2010/05/26/why-and-how-im-moving-from-amazon-s3/for
          > > more info).
          > > so again I say, get some hosting, install wordpress, get some libsyn.comand
          > > avoid the "starter home" of hosting Podbean.
          > >
          > > Just my opinion
          > >
          > > Dave Jackson
          > > www.schoolofpodcasting.com
          > > On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 1:45 PM, tim <lovetoloveyou@...<lovetoloveyou%40hotmail.co.uk>>
          > wrote:
          > >

          > > > Is n't podbean one of the great podcast sites ?
          > > > Ive joined there recently and it looks great...
          > > >
          > > > But podcasts are no big deal... they are just files , audio , music,
          > vid
          > > > etc,
          > > > stored up on a server ....... am I wrong ?
          > > >
          > > > I could start my own podcast site using yahoo groups could nt I ?, and
          > use
          > > > the 100 meg free storage to put audio files up there .
          > > >
          > > > Could nt I do the same with word press blogs too ?
          > > >
          > > > Theres tons of free storage around... no probs...

          > > Dave Jackson

          Charley Hays
          Cross Driven Radio
          web: www.crossdrivenradio.com
          podcast: www.crossdrivenpodcast.com
          skype: charley_hays
          twitter: www.twitter.com/charleyhays

        • podbean_com
          Message 4 of 8 , May 27, 2010
            Hi,

            I work in Podbean.com. Just to clear some issues related to Podbean.

            Actually, Podbean supports own-domain. You can host your podcast in Podbean with your own-domain, the feed will look like http://mydomain.com/feed . Moreover, you can burn your Podbean feed with feedburner to get a feedburner feed . You can decide which feed to submit to iTunes, Podbean one, your own-domain one or feedburner one. Podbean does not automatically submit your feed to iTunes. It's your call.

            Furthermore, you can get audio/video links that uploaded in Podbean and embed the audios/videos in other site or feed.

            Couple other things, Podbean will do for you. Automatically, generate mobile version Podcast site for you, support private protected podcasts, promote your podcast in Podbean directory.

            If you are a popular podcast, Podbean unmetered plans can save you some money. Libsyn and Podbean have similar plans. You may compare them.

            David

            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, tim <lovetoloveyou@...> wrote:

            > MAYBE theres more to this podcasting lark than meets the eye...
            >
            > rss feeds, Ive seen them, but have nt yet figured out what they are !
            > and what they do, Ill have to look them up in wiki some time .
            >
            > > To: podcasters@yahoogroups.com
            > > From: jammindave@...
            > > Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 16:08:41 -0400
            > > Subject: Re: [podcasters] Podbean
            > >
            > > No,
            > > Podbean does a lot of things "for you" that make it very hard to leave them.
            > > They submit your podcast to iTunes HORRIBLE - YOU should own that (or am I
            > > getting them confused with talkshoe...). They make you use THEIR RSS feed.
            > > HORRIBLE - YOU want control over your RSS feed. That feed is your lifeline
            > > to your people so if you ever want to move, you can. (Which is why I use
            > > feedburner, you just update feedburner and the listener nevers knows
            > > something changed). There is no way to put a feedburner feed on a podbean
            > > site.
            > >
            > > The best podcasting solution is libsyn.com and a self
            > > hosted<http://www.schoolofpodcasting.com/hosting>Wordpress blog. It
            > > will run you around 20 bucks a month for both of those,
            > > but you are in control, you have stats, and total flexibility etc.
            > >
            > > As a podcast consultant I've moved at least 5 people over the years from
            > > Podbean who were ready to "Start podcasting for real."
            > >
            > > Likewise, Amazon S3 seems so cheap for hosting media files. I experimented
            > > with them, and the last two months my "cheaper" bill has been over $40. (see
            > > http://davidjackson.org/2010/05/26/why-and-how-im-moving-from-amazon-s3/ for
            > > more info).
            > > so again I say, get some hosting, install wordpress, get some libsyn.com and
            > > avoid the "starter home" of hosting Podbean.
            > >
            > > Just my opinion
            > >
            > > Dave Jackson
            > > www.schoolofpodcasting.com
            > > On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 1:45 PM, tim <lovetoloveyou@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > > Is n't podbean one of the great podcast sites ?
            > > > Ive joined there recently and it looks great...
            > > >
            > > > But podcasts are no big deal... they are just files , audio , music, vid
            > > > etc,
            > > > stored up on a server ....... am I wrong ?
            > > >
            > > > I could start my own podcast site using yahoo groups could nt I ?, and use
            > > > the 100 meg free storage to put audio files up there .
            > > >
            > > > Could nt I do the same with word press blogs too ?
            > > >
            > > > Theres tons of free storage around... no probs...

            > > Dave Jackson

          • David Jackson
            Message 5 of 8 , May 28, 2010
              David,
              Thanks for the insight. In my travels I'm always helping people move, and in
              looking back they may not have been aware of these options (and chose the
              wrong one out of ignorance).

              Dave Jackson

              On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 2:42 AM, podbean_com <dqxsc@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > >
              > > > The best podcasting solution is libsyn.com and a self
              > > > hosted<http://www.schoolofpodcasting.com/hosting>Wordpress blog. It
              > > > will run you around 20 bucks a month for both of those,
              > > > but you are in control, you have stats, and total flexibility etc.
              > > >
              > > > As a podcast consultant I've moved at least 5 people over the years
              > from
              > > > Podbean who were ready to "Start podcasting for real."
              > > >
              > > > Likewise, Amazon S3 seems so cheap for hosting media files. I
              > experimented
              > > > with them, and the last two months my "cheaper" bill has been over $40.
              > (see
              > > >
              > http://davidjackson.org/2010/05/26/why-and-how-im-moving-from-amazon-s3/for
              > > > more info).
              > > > so again I say, get some hosting, install wordpress, get some
              > libsyn.com and
              > > > avoid the "starter home" of hosting Podbean.

              Dave Jackson

            • Todd Cochrane
              Message 6 of 8 , May 29, 2010
                David

                You can still not use our stats with them, they have refused to even
                acknowledge us in multiple email request or their customers that have
                asked to use our stats.

                Todd..

              • Todd Cochrane
                Message 7 of 8 , May 29, 2010
                  When will you allow your customers to start using our stats redirect so
                  we can get them on advertising deals?