Torrents

  • silverstar
    Message 1 of 17 , May 26, 2010
      I dont want to disillusion Patrick but I was told
      that the downloads figure on the torrents sites is
      not the actual downloads,... more the number of times
      the file has been looked at or viewed.

      why not get an account with rapidshare, upload your audio
      to there, then put the link in a doc file
      and torrent that .........

      then the subsequent figures you get off rapidshare downloads
      will be an exact figure.

      Torrents are great because there are no boundaries, you are
      not posting to a limited club , group or forum...
      you are posting to the world.

      Search engines pick up your file name and descriptions, its
      brilliant .
    • Patrick McNa...
      Message 2 of 17 , May 27, 2010
        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "silverstar" <lovetoloveyou@...> wrote:

        > I dont want to disillusion Patrick but I was told
        > that the downloads figure on the torrents sites is
        > not the actual downloads,... more the number of times
        > the file has been looked at or viewed.

        Actually what's being counted, as best I can tell, is the downloads of the .torrent file which are used to download the posted files. But the same issues hold true with regular RSS podcasting; there's no way to tell who actually listened even if they did download. And there's a lot of .torrent file downloads on other sites which I didn't our couldn't count. So the best I can do is to just get an approximation based upon those downloads.
      • Bob Andelman/Mr. Media
        Message 3 of 17 , May 27, 2010
          This is a fascinating discussion; I never even thought about distributing Mr. Media Radio files through torrents. Can anyone offer some how-to advice and where-to?

          Thanks!

          Bob Andelman
          Host/Producer/Writer
          Mr. Media Radio
          http://www.mrmedia.com
          727-458-6475
          --------------
          bob@...
          Books by Bob Andelman: http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0027NOD1K

          Skype: bobandelman
          LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/bobandelman
          Twitter: http://twitter.com/andelman
          Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mr-Media-Interviews-by-Bob-Andelman/10847855738

        • andrew clarke
          Message 4 of 17 , May 27, 2010
            On Wed 2010-05-26 20:14:59 UTC-0000, silverstar (lovetoloveyou@...) wrote:

            > I dont want to disillusion Patrick but I was told that the downloads
            > figure on the torrents sites is not the actual downloads,... more the
            > number of times the file has been looked at or viewed.

            That would depend very much on the BitTorrent tracker being used (and
            to a lesser extent whether DHT was being by the downloaders), and also
            how the web site interacts with the BitTorrent tracker.

            DHT = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_hash_table

            > why not get an account with rapidshare, upload your audio to there,
            > then put the link in a doc file and torrent that .........
            >
            > then the subsequent figures you get off rapidshare downloads will be
            > an exact figure.

            Podcatchers like iTunes can't download from RapidShare. RapidShare
            doesn't allow it. iTunes, etc will download from regular web sites
            though.

            "Put the link in a doc file" is a strange idea. What is the point of
            that?

            > Torrents are great because there are no boundaries, you are not
            > posting to a limited club , group or forum... you are posting to the
            > world.

            But that is also true for regular HTTP.

            In the early days of podcasting I was a fan of BitTorrent being used
            as a distribution method, but not so much these days. Among other
            things, Apple's iTunes has gone through several major releases but
            still does not support BitTorrent. Odds are that it's unlikely to
            ever support it. This is mostly due to its complexity, but probably
            also due to the stigma of copyright infringement attached to the
            protocol.

            Web hosting is also considerably cheaper than when podcasting kicked
            off in 2004, so there is less incentive for podcasters to need to
            resort to P2P. There are also content delivery services that may be
            an option to some people. Akamai is a popular one.

            On the whole, web servers also have much higher capacity than they
            used to.

            For very popular podcasts with a lot of listeners BitTorrent may
            still be useful, but the more popular podcasts probably have sponsors
            or encourage listener donations via PayPal, etc.

            One use for BitTorrent that may be worthwhile is for distributing
            archives of old podcasts. Note though that a particular torrent must
            have a fixed size, which means you probably either have to have a
            static archive, or one torrent per podcast.

            Regards
            Andrew
          • tim
            Message 5 of 17 , May 27, 2010
              GET U torrent, when the window comes up hit the little
              magic wand icon top left.
              browse for the file you want to send... make sure its in a document where
              you want to leave it, dont move it later cos the torrent wont be able to find it !

              fill in the details and u torrent will put the little green torrent in your documents.
              that is like the exact address of your file.

              Go to say pirate bay and upload the torrent there
              again, put the little torrent in a file where you want to keep it,
              dont move it or you will mess things up.

              You need to paste a few trackers into the U torrent form
              prob get them on the U torrent forum .

              when you up load to pirate bay you put a description
              of the file in there, you can also put a few links in too if
              you wish, or link to a photo...

              To: podcasters@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 17 , May 27, 2010
                On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 10:25 AM, andrew clarke <mail@...> wrote:

                > For very popular podcasts with a lot of listeners BitTorrent may
                > still be useful, but the more popular podcasts probably have sponsors
                > or encourage listener donations via PayPal, etc.

                It's only useful if enough listeners look for and download podcasts
                via BitTorrent to make it worth the extra work. This list probably
                has a greater concentration of podcast enthusiasts than you're likely
                to find anywhere else. Straw poll: does *anyone* here use BitTorrent
                to download podcasts on a regular basis?

                Practically speaking, no one does. Most people wouldn't even if they
                knew about the option. The problem is that it's extra hassle for the
                consumer -- even if podcatchers all supported it, et cetera, there are
                random issues with home routers and firewalls and ISPs and flaky
                trackers and upload bandwidth saturation. BitTorrent's a great
                technology when it works, but there are plenty of reasons why it
                doesn't a lot of the time, and troubleshooting those glitches is
                beyond most people's technical knowledge or patience.

                And if you do get it working, unless there are a fair number of seeds
                out there at that moment (say, more than 10), it's usually *slower* to
                download than just doing a regular Web download from a regular host.
                And even a successful podcast is unlikely to have guaranteed seeds for
                a back episode.

                That's why I don't download podcasts with BT, and why I don't
                distribute episodes with it. I *am* a frequent BitTorrent user, and
                I've known that you *could* grab some podcasts with it since 2006,
                when Dave Slusher started trying to get everyone to do it. But it's
                extra work for poor performance. As a podcast consumer, it's just not
                a rational choice.

                > One use for BitTorrent that may be worthwhile is for distributing
                > archives of old podcasts.  Note though that a particular torrent must
                > have a fixed size, which means you probably either have to have a
                > static archive, or one torrent per podcast.

                FWIW, I have done this before. I've put up archive collections via
                BitTorrent before, and various EP listeners have done it as well.
                (One of the benefits of Creative Commons licensing: other people can
                help you with things like this.) >8-> It wasn't really a failure in
                the sense I was describing above -- it worked fine, and got at least
                *some* full transfers because I saw a few seeds on it -- but keeping
                the collections up-to-date was a different sort of hassle and I
                quickly forgot about it.

                http://www.escapepod.org
              • andrew clarke
                Message 7 of 17 , May 27, 2010
                  On Fri 2010-05-28 00:25:29 UTC+1000, andrew clarke (mail@...) wrote:

                  > For very popular podcasts with a lot of listeners BitTorrent may
                  > still be useful, but the more popular podcasts probably have sponsors
                  > or encourage listener donations via PayPal, etc.

                  EDIT:

                  ... the more popular podcasts probably have sponsors or encourage
                  listener donations via PayPal, etc., so can afford to pay for web
                  hosting instead of resorting to BitTorrent.
                • crafterlag
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 27, 2010
                    It's kind of a shame that the home-networking end of torrenting is such a pain in the butt, because you can totally subscribe to torrent RSSs and get files that way. It would be no less inconvenient than subscribing with a podcatcher, otherwise.

                    I torrent all the time and I never bother with torrented podcasts, either. Torrents are great for really huge or obscure stuff, but given the choice, I choose a direct download.

                    -Mer
                    Braindouche.net
                    hotgluemedia.com
                    and other stuff too

                    Message 9 of 17 , May 27, 2010
                      On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 1:32 PM, andrew clarke <mail@...> wrote:

                      > ... the more popular podcasts probably have sponsors or encourage
                      > listener donations via PayPal, etc., so can afford to pay for web
                      > hosting instead of resorting to BitTorrent.

                      The baseline Libsyn account is still $5 per month. If that's too much
                      money, there's always Archive.org. (Download speeds are sporadic
                      there, but it's still free.)

                      And don't forget: less popular podcasts are likely to do *worse* with
                      BitTorrent. If nobody's seeding your content, it doesn't matter how
                      many places you have the .torrent file posted.

                      http://www.escapepod.org
                    • tim
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 27, 2010
                        I disagree, I think torrents are easy and no problem, There have been 100s of downloads from
                        files Ive put up there
                        The prob is that people are selfish,
                        they get the file downloaded to their hard drive and then deletethe torrent off
                        their u torrent page, instead of leaving it there, and the downloaded file in
                        place so others on the web can download from him and others.

                        So if you upload a file, its vital that you leave the file in situ in your documents
                        and the torrent on your u torrent page, then there is always at least one seeder to
                        the file out in cyber space.

                        I have files up there for 6 months that still have 3 or 4 seeders, but lots of
                        others where I am the only seeder,

                        But I like the feedback of knowing the exact No. of downloads to my stuff,
                        so rapidshare is useful for that and just posting a link up to torrent cyber space
                        does that.

                        Some of my torrented files have hit 800 and 900 downloads.

                        To: podcasters@yahoogroups.com
                        From: SFEley@...
                        Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 13:23:33 -0400
                        Subject: Re: [podcasters] Torrents

                        Message 11 of 17 , May 27, 2010
                          On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 1:37 PM, crafterlag <braindouche@...> wrote:

                          > I torrent all the time and I never bother with torrented podcasts, either. Torrents are great for really huge or obscure stuff, but given the choice, I choose a direct download.

                          Right. When available, it's the more rational decision for the consumer.

                          That it might cost you the producer a fraction of a cent in bandwidth
                          is immaterial to the consumer. If they're going to give of themselves
                          to do you a favor, it's more rational for them to PayPal you a buck or
                          more.

                          http://www.escapepod.org
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 27, 2010
                            On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 1:40 PM, tim <lovetoloveyou@...> wrote:

                            > The prob is that people are selfish,

                            How do you intend to solve that problem?

                            http://www.escapepod.org
                          • thesoundofyoungamerica
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 27, 2010
                              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:

                              > On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 10:25 AM, andrew clarke <mail@...> wrote:
                              > > One use for BitTorrent that may be worthwhile is for distributing
                              > > archives of old podcasts.  Note though that a particular torrent must
                              > > have a fixed size, which means you probably either have to have a
                              > > static archive, or one torrent per podcast.
                              >
                              > FWIW, I have done this before. I've put up archive collections via
                              > BitTorrent before, and various EP listeners have done it as well.
                              > (One of the benefits of Creative Commons licensing: other people can
                              > help you with things like this.) >8-> It wasn't really a failure in
                              > the sense I was describing above -- it worked fine, and got at least
                              > *some* full transfers because I saw a few seeds on it -- but keeping
                              > the collections up-to-date was a different sort of hassle and I
                              > quickly forgot about it.

                              I did the same with old episodes of The Sound of Young America. They eventually stopped seeding (I wasn't seeding them), but it was a relatively convenient way for people to get a couple hundred files downloaded. I think some folks came to the show through the torrent, though that was because they'd searched for the names of guests on torrent search engines.

                              It's a nice thing to do, but it wasn't hugely important.

                              Jesse
                            • tim
                              Message 14 of 17 , May 27, 2010
                                another thing,
                                if you post files in say yahoo groups, your post
                                seems isolated, from the cyber world.... ie it wont suddenly appear
                                in a google search.

                                whereas all of the files Ive posted... I type into google and they come up!
                                they even show up on google alerts !

                              • Patrick McNa...
                                Message 15 of 17 , May 27, 2010
                                  --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Andelman/Mr. Media" <bob@...> wrote:

                                  > This is a fascinating discussion; I never even thought about distributing Mr. Media Radio files through torrents. Can anyone offer some how-to advice and where-to?
                                  >
                                  > Thanks!
                                  >
                                  > Bob Andelman

                                  Go to Mininova.org and read up on their Content Distribution service. It's free and posting a file isn't any more difficult than posting one to Archive.org.
                                • Patrick McNa...
                                  Message 16 of 17 , May 27, 2010
                                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:

                                    > On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 10:25 AM, andrew clarke <mail@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > For very popular podcasts with a lot of listeners BitTorrent may
                                    > > still be useful, but the more popular podcasts probably have sponsors
                                    > > or encourage listener donations via PayPal, etc.
                                    >
                                    > It's only useful if enough listeners look for and download podcasts
                                    > via BitTorrent to make it worth the extra work.

                                    Maybe not, but people do go to torrent sites looking for stuff to download. And if they find the podcast there they might download it. However, how many people are going to go to a blog site if they don't even know about it?

                                    The torrents work not so much because it's a system of distribution as a system of promotion. By putting your podcast on a site like Mininova people can find it, particularly people who weren't even looking for it in the first place. That's why it works. It's like a directory. Unfortunately, not all torrent sites work like Mininova so new torrents can get buried on many torrent sites.
                                  • Patrick McNa...
                                    Message 17 of 17 , May 27, 2010
                                      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:

                                      > On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 1:32 PM, andrew clarke <mail@...> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > ... the more popular podcasts probably have sponsors or encourage
                                      > > listener donations via PayPal, etc., so can afford to pay for web
                                      > > hosting instead of resorting to BitTorrent.
                                      >
                                      > The baseline Libsyn account is still $5 per month. If that's too much
                                      > money, there's always Archive.org. (Download speeds are sporadic
                                      > there, but it's still free.)
                                      >
                                      > And don't forget: less popular podcasts are likely to do *worse* with
                                      > BitTorrent. If nobody's seeding your content, it doesn't matter how
                                      > many places you have the .torrent file posted.

                                      Worse compared to what? I've seen better downloads from the torrents than from the RSS feeds, and there's nothing less popular than poetry.

                                      It is up to you to make sure that your podcast is seeded if you want people to download it. Fortunately, with Mininova's Content Distribution service, they provide a seed of the file.