Re: [podcasters] Using LAME and more

    Message 1 of 3 , May 23, 2010
      To Nobilis's excellent advice I would only add two-and-a-half things:

      1.) Yes, you can use LAME from the command line. Just do lame --help
      to see the options available to you. For a reference point, here's
      the command line I always used to encode Escape Pod episodes on my OS
      X machine:

      lame -q 1 -m j -b 96 --resample 44.1 --tt "(Episode title)" --tl
      "Escape Pod" --ta "(Author name)" --ty 2010 EPxxx.aiff EPxxx.mp3

      Those options are:
      -q 1: quality setting
      -m j: joint stereo (which is *the* option to use, whether your source
      is mono or stereo)
      -b 96: bitrate (my podcast was mostly narrative, not music, so I felt
      I didn't need 128)
      --resample 44.1: sample rate (if I didn't pick this, LAME would set
      the wrong sample rate for me)
      --tt: title tag
      --tl: album tag
      --ta: author tag
      --ty: year tag

      The other tags, such as genre and album art, I'd set in iTunes right
      after encoding because there's no good way to do them in LAME.

      2.) You don't need three versions of your show. It's extra work, it
      confuses people as to which feed they should subscribe to, and most
      people will be listening in the car in traffic anyway. Pick the
      middle-of-the-road option and stick with it.

      2.5.) If you take my advice and have just one version, don't make it
      the 320 kbps one. That's massive overkill. Even if you think your
      music is Just That Good. Don't believe me? Try doing a blind
      listening test of your podcast with a 128 kbps joint stereo file and a
      320 kbps joint stereo file on your best headphones. If you or anyone
      you know can _reliably_ tell the difference, I'll eat my Sennheiser
      HD280s.

      http://www.escapepod.org