Re: Portable Recorders

  • cianmacmahon
    Message 1 of 13 , May 9, 2010
      Hiya! Thanks for the recommendation. I currently use a fair few studio mics, which is why I really like the look of the H4n, which seems to basically be a H4 with a rubber body, slightly more features I will never use, better preamps and another microphone setup. I'm not hugely sure about the 30V phantom power on the H4 so I would likely bite the bullet and grab a H4n.

      I would love to take you up on your offer, but that wouldn't leave me enough time to get it in time for D*C. Maybe we might bump into eachother at one of the panels anyway? I hope they do the Podcast Track.

      Thanks again,
      Cian.
      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:

      > I first owned the Edirol R-09 (not the HR). I loved it. Very simple, very
      > small and easy to take into the field for point and record situations.
      > Despite being made of plastic, it was very sturdy. I used it for several
      > year until I dropped it one too many times on the concrete and it finally
      > died.
      >
      > I then bought the Zoom H4 (not H4n). It's got many more bells and whistles.
      > I love the built in compressor and I love the XLR inputs. The downside of it
      > is that it's bigger and more expensive and a little more precarious when
      > taking it into the field. But at the same time, it's like having a mini
      > mixer and compressor in your hand.
      >
      > I heartily recommend both just depends on which one fits your particular
      > needs better. I am a hobbyist and don't have a sensitive ear to recording
      > quality. But as far as I can tell, both do a good job recording voice and
      > music suitable for podcasting. Both are great for going into panel
      > discussions at places like dragon con and recording a panel discussion or
      > interviewing someone in a noisy convention hall. So for basic podcast, I'd
      > say you can't go wrong with either.
      >
      > If you forced me to choose one over the other, I'd go with the H4 because
      > the XLR input gives you the possibility of using higher grade microphones
      > with it. For my podcast, I am recording my talk sets using a Heil PR-40
      > microphone going straight into the H4. I have the "mono mix" turned on that
      > splits the microphone into both stereo channels and I have the vocal
      > compression turned on. It sounds great. So the H4 might be a better loing
      > term investment if you are going to see yourself investing in professional
      > or semi-professional level microphones down the road.
      >
      > I'll be bringing my H4 to dragon con and will be attending lots of the
      > panels, so I'd be glad to let yu check it out if you want to.
      >
      > Calvin Powers
      > Taproot Music Feed podcast
      > www.taprootradio.com
    • Ramble Redhead
      Message 2 of 13 , May 9, 2010
        Here is a deal on a portable recorder http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/TAS-DR-07-BUNDLE

        Sent from my iPhone

        On May 9, 2010, at 2:24 PM, "cianmacmahon" <cianmm@...> wrote:

        > Hiya! Thanks for the recommendation. I currently use a fair few studio mics, which is why I really like the look of the H4n, which seems to basically be a H4 with a rubber body, slightly more features I will never use, better preamps and another microphone setup. I'm not hugely sure about the 30V phantom power on the H4 so I would likely bite the bullet and grab a H4n.
        >
        > I would love to take you up on your offer, but that wouldn't leave me enough time to get it in time for D*C. Maybe we might bump into eachother at one of the panels anyway? I hope they do the Podcast Track.
        >
        > Thanks again,
        > Cian.
        > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I first owned the Edirol R-09 (not the HR). I loved it. Very simple, very
        > > small and easy to take into the field for point and record situations.
        > > Despite being made of plastic, it was very sturdy. I used it for several
        > > year until I dropped it one too many times on the concrete and it finally
        > > died.
        > >
        > > I then bought the Zoom H4 (not H4n). It's got many more bells and whistles.
        > > I love the built in compressor and I love the XLR inputs. The downside of it
        > > is that it's bigger and more expensive and a little more precarious when
        > > taking it into the field. But at the same time, it's like having a mini
        > > mixer and compressor in your hand.
        > >
        > > I heartily recommend both just depends on which one fits your particular
        > > needs better. I am a hobbyist and don't have a sensitive ear to recording
        > > quality. But as far as I can tell, both do a good job recording voice and
        > > music suitable for podcasting. Both are great for going into panel
        > > discussions at places like dragon con and recording a panel discussion or
        > > interviewing someone in a noisy convention hall. So for basic podcast, I'd
        > > say you can't go wrong with either.
        > >
        > > If you forced me to choose one over the other, I'd go with the H4 because
        > > the XLR input gives you the possibility of using higher grade microphones
        > > with it. For my podcast, I am recording my talk sets using a Heil PR-40
        > > microphone going straight into the H4. I have the "mono mix" turned on that
        > > splits the microphone into both stereo channels and I have the vocal
        > > compression turned on. It sounds great. So the H4 might be a better loing
        > > term investment if you are going to see yourself investing in professional
        > > or semi-professional level microphones down the road.
        > >
        > > I'll be bringing my H4 to dragon con and will be attending lots of the
        > > panels, so I'd be glad to let yu check it out if you want to.
        > >
        > > Calvin Powers
        > > Taproot Music Feed podcast
        > > www.taprootradio.com

      • Waleed Ovase
        Message 3 of 13 , May 9, 2010
          Even cheaper here:
          http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=DR07

          On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 15:30, Ramble Redhead <rambleredhead@...>wrote:

> [...]
          > > > say you can't go wrong with either.
          > > >
          > > > If you forced me to choose one over the other, I'd go with the H4
          > because
          > > > the XLR input gives you the possibility of using higher grade
          > microphones
          > > > with it. For my podcast, I am recording my talk sets using a Heil PR-40
          > > > microphone going straight into the H4. I have the "mono mix" turned on
          > that
          > > > splits the microphone into both stereo channels and I have the vocal
          > > > compression turned on. It sounds great. So the H4 might be a better
          > loing
          > > > term investment if you are going to see yourself investing in
          > professional
          > > > or semi-professional level microphones down the road.
          > > >
          > > > I'll be bringing my H4 to dragon con and will be attending lots of the
          > > > panels, so I'd be glad to let yu check it out if you want to.

          Waleed Ovase
          Executive Producer
          Giant Gnome Productions
          http://www.giantgnome.com
          http://www.waleedovase.com
          Twitter @waleedovase

        • Ramble Redhead
          Message 4 of 13 , May 9, 2010
            The price on my link included recorder and all accessorries for $199

            Sent from my iPhone

          • Waleed Ovase
            Message 5 of 13 , May 9, 2010
              The one from my link comes with ". It also comes with a windscreen, tripod
              stand mount and 2GB SD card so you can start recording right away."

              The only difference is that the one from Sound Professionals comes with some
              kind of unnamed Headphone.

              waleed

              On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 16:35, Ramble Redhead <rambleredhead@...>wrote:

              > The price on my link included recorder and all accessorries for $199
              >
              > Sent from my iPhone
              >

              > On May 9, 2010, at 3:50 PM, Waleed Ovase <americanbookmoghuls@...<americanbookmoghuls%40gmail.com>>
              > wrote:
              >
              > > Even cheaper here:
              > > http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=DR07
              > >
              > > On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 15:30, Ramble Redhead <rambleredhead@...<rambleredhead%40gmail.com>
              > >wrote:
              > >

              > >> Here is a deal on a portable recorder
              > >> http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/TAS-DR-07-BUNDLE
              > >>
              > >> Sent from my iPhone
              > >>

              > >> On May 9, 2010, at 2:24 PM, "cianmacmahon" <cianmm@...<cianmm%40gmail.com>
              > <cianmm%40gmail.com>>

              > >> mics, which is why I really like the look of the H4n, which seems to
              > >> basically be a H4 with a rubber body, slightly more features I will
              > never
              > >> use, better preamps and another microphone setup. I'm not hugely sure
              > about
              > >> the 30V phantom power on the H4 so I would likely bite the bullet and
              > grab a
              > >> H4n.

              > >> enough time to get it in time for D*C. Maybe we might bump into
              > eachother at
              > >> one of the panels anyway? I hope they do the Podcast Track.

              > 40yahoogroups.com>, Calvin

              > >> very
              > >> several
              > >> finally

              > >> whistles.
              > >> of it
              > >> when
              > mini

              > >> particular
              > >> recording
              > >> and
              > >> or
              > >> I'd

              > >> because
              > >> microphones
              > PR-40
              > >> that
              > >> loing
              > >> professional

              > > Waleed Ovase
              > > Executive Producer
              > > Giant Gnome Productions
              > > http://www.giantgnome.com
              > > http://www.waleedovase.com
              > > Twitter @waleedovase

              Waleed Ovase
              Executive Producer
              Giant Gnome Productions
              http://www.giantgnome.com
              http://www.waleedovase.com
              Twitter @waleedovase

            • cianmacmahon
              Message 6 of 13 , May 12, 2010
                I decided to go for the Zoom H4n that I found on eBay. Will update with my thoughts, and if the seller is a good one, will post the link in case anybody else is considering one. Until I have a fully working recorder in my hands in less then 7 days though, you will have to search for it.

                Thanks again for the help!
                Cian