Re: [podcasters] Libsyn to start automatically putting advertisements in podcasts?

  • Nobilis Reed
    Message 1 of 11 , May 8, 2010
      Well, to be honest there are a LOT of podcasts out there that don't
      have nearly that much traffic, and those also pay 6 or 12 dollars a
      month. The unpopular podcasts subsidize the popular ones... but this
      will allow the popular ones to do their fair share without having to
      charge more to the podcaster.

      In general, I'm for this.

      Message 2 of 11 , May 8, 2010
        They can support Nobilis for quite a while, Todd, and others with
        large audiences too. It works out for them because for every terabyte-
        plus podcast, they have a lot of paying customers who move less than
        they're paying for. They're also selling ads for a number of the
        bigger podcasts, which bring them a lot more than the bandwidth costs.
        (E.g., the Audible ads I've run on Escape Pod were brokered by Libsyn.)

        The economics of the situation is a lot more complicated than a simple
        "They're losing money on you." Besides, Nobilis's message was
        *supportive* of Libsyn. Why give him a hard time?

        Have Fun,
        Steve Eley - sfeley@... - http://twitter.com/SFEley
        http://escapepod.org - http://sfeley.com

      • cianmacmahon
        Message 3 of 11 , May 9, 2010
          Like the others said, it's pretty much a shared hosting deal. I pay Dreamhost buttons for unlimited hosting space, and I have about 20gb up there and shift a hell of a lot of data each month, but the cost is offset by the people who only host a static page.

          All works out.