Re: [podcasters] Re: Libsyn to start automatically putting advertisements in podcasts?

  • David Jackson
    Message 1 of 11 , May 8 8:48 AM
      I'm on Libsyn three. No such thing exists. If I want to insert my own ads I
      can, but there is a fee. For the guy who is made cause he used their RSS,
      it's libsyn's fault that you went into podcasting blind? C'mon. If you used
      Feedburner, set up your own website, update each episode (pointing to your
      libsyn files) then switch the feed in Feedburner. Problem solved. That's
      what I did.

      I just signed up another podcast for libsyn after using the "Super cheap"
      Amazon S3. It was - until I got popular. My last two bills were $44, and
      $41. You get great customer service, great up time, and HONEST replies if
      there is a problem.

      Dave Jackson
      www.schoolofpodcasting.com

      --
      Dave Jackson

    • cianmacmahon
      Message 2 of 11 , May 8 9:00 AM
        I'm on Libsyn Three as well, and as I posted, Rob Walsh got in contact with me, cleared everything up. It's only for commercial, huge listenership shows who are abusing the free bandwidth and refuse to help out with offsetting the costs.

        As for my going into podcasting blind, I was actually originally with Switchpod, which, a few months after I signed up, added the feature to use an iTunes tag to reclaim your feed. I did so, and everything was wonderful, with iTunes syncing everybody to the Feedburner feed. One day, I decided to move over to Libsyn, and managed to do so, using my feedburner feed. My account must have still been attached to the Switchpod one, and when Switchpod closed down and all the Switchpod users were moved over to Libsyn, it looks like they retook control of my feed. I was previously told that this would be reversed, but it never was.

        As for Libsyn Three, I was beta testing it a few months back, and being honest, it was significantly less buggy then then it is now. Spent 45 minutes with it today trying to get an episode published, and all it would do is hang.

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, David Jackson <jammindave@...> wrote:

        > I'm on Libsyn three. No such thing exists. If I want to insert my own ads I
        > can, but there is a fee. For the guy who is made cause he used their RSS,
        > it's libsyn's fault that you went into podcasting blind? C'mon. If you used
        > Feedburner, set up your own website, update each episode (pointing to your
        > libsyn files) then switch the feed in Feedburner. Problem solved. That's
        > what I did.
        >
        > I just signed up another podcast for libsyn after using the "Super cheap"
        > Amazon S3. It was - until I got popular. My last two bills were $44, and
        > $41. You get great customer service, great up time, and HONEST replies if
        > there is a problem.
        >
        > Dave Jackson
        > www.schoolofpodcasting.com
      • Todd Cochrane
        Message 3 of 11 , May 8 5:36 PM
          Do you know what 1.2tb of traffic cost to move a month? On Amazon it
          would be $184 dollars. Thus they are loosing $150 plus dollars a month
          on your show each and every month. How long do you think they can stay
          in business and support that loss..

          http://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=AMEX:WZE

          Libsyn was here in the early days and saved a lot of people, last thing
          I want to see if them go out of business but they have to do something
          to stay afloat.

          Todd..

          Nobilis Reed wrote:

          > Ooh, panic panic panic time!
          >
          > Grab your torch and pitchfork!
          >
          > Seriously, folks. I want Libsyn to succeed. I want them to keep
          > charging me just twelve dollars a month to host Nobilis Erotica even
          > though I get sixty thousand downloads a month, amounting to 1.2 Tb
          > total.
          >
          > If this is real (they haven't come to me with this) they probably
          > should be offering some kind of kickback on the advertising.
          >
          > On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 10:24 AM, cianmacmahon <cianmm@...
          > <mailto:cianmm%40gmail.com>> wrote:
          > > Was flicking through the Libsyn forums, looking for information on
          > the migration to Libsyn 3 and how much trouble it is causing, and
          > found this: http://forum.libsyn.com/viewtopic.php?p=27836#p27836
          > <http://forum.libsyn.com/viewtopic.php?p=27836#p27836>
          > >
          > > Somebody got an email that says:
          > >
          > > Thank you for choosing Libsyn.com to host your podcast.
          > >
          > > This email is to inform you that as of May 1st you may start hearing
          > / seeing pre and/or post roll bumpers for Libsyn.com on your episodes.
          > These will be stitched in automatically on our end. The Pre-roll
          > bumper will typically be "This podcast is hosted on Libsyn dot com"
          > with the Post roll bumper typically being "This podcast is hosted on
          > Libsyn dot com the worlds largest podcast hosting service, if you are
          > looking for podcast hosting please go to Libsyn dot com - that is L I
          > B S Y N dot com"
          > >
          > > These bumpers will be produced on our end. However if you would like
          > the option of recording this bumper in your own voice please let me
          > know and we can arrange for your bumpers to be placed before and after
          > your episodes. We would need those bumpers sent to us no later than
          > April 29th.
          > >

          > > If this is true, this is simply not acceptable, considering we pay
          > for the hosting. Does anybody have any information on this?
          >
          > --
          > Weekly audio stories -- Nobilis Erotica: http://nobilis.libsyn.com
          > <http://nobilis.libsyn.com>
          > -----
          > 99c short stories - http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/Nobilis
          > <http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/Nobilis>
          > -----
          > Preorder your signed copy of "Scouts" -
          > http://www.logical-lust.com/scouts.html
          > <http://www.logical-lust.com/scouts.html>

        • Nobilis Reed
          Message 4 of 11 , May 8 5:45 PM
            Well, to be honest there are a LOT of podcasts out there that don't
            have nearly that much traffic, and those also pay 6 or 12 dollars a
            month. The unpopular podcasts subsidize the popular ones... but this
            will allow the popular ones to do their fair share without having to
            charge more to the podcaster.

            In general, I'm for this.

            Message 5 of 11 , May 8 6:00 PM
              They can support Nobilis for quite a while, Todd, and others with
              large audiences too. It works out for them because for every terabyte-
              plus podcast, they have a lot of paying customers who move less than
              they're paying for. They're also selling ads for a number of the
              bigger podcasts, which bring them a lot more than the bandwidth costs.
              (E.g., the Audible ads I've run on Escape Pod were brokered by Libsyn.)

              The economics of the situation is a lot more complicated than a simple
              "They're losing money on you." Besides, Nobilis's message was
              *supportive* of Libsyn. Why give him a hard time?

              Have Fun,
              Steve Eley - sfeley@... - http://twitter.com/SFEley
              http://escapepod.org - http://sfeley.com

              Message 6 of 11 , May 9 12:19 AM
                Like the others said, it's pretty much a shared hosting deal. I pay Dreamhost buttons for unlimited hosting space, and I have about 20gb up there and shift a hell of a lot of data each month, but the cost is offset by the people who only host a static page.

                All works out.