Re: [podcasters] Portable Recorders

  • Rick Stringer
    Message 1 of 13 , May 8 7:34 AM
      I love my Zoom H2. I think it is a great portable recorder.

      Rick

      On May 8, 2010, at 10:07 AM, "cianmacmahon" <cianmm@...> wrote:

      > I am looking into getting a nice portable audio recorder for when I'm
      > out and about. (Specifically, in September I'm going to Dragon*Con, as
      > well as Washington and Boston, and want to do a lot of recording.) I was
      > wondering if anybody has any recommendations for fairly mid-budget
      > recording (no more then $350ish) or thoughts on the following recorders
      > that I'm looking into?
      >
      > * Zoom H4n <http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h4n/> - I like
      > the look of this one because the word on the street is that it has
      > pretty good audio, but also comes with two phantom powered XLR inputs
      > which would mean I would be able to use my studio mics out of a hotel
      > without having to cart around my heavy-as-ass mixer. It also doubles as
      > an audio interface. Found it for $299 on ebay, with a few extras like a
      > 16GB flash card.
      > * Edirol R-09HR
      > <http://www.edirol.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=332&Ite\
      > mid=390> What I like about this is that it's really quite small, with
      > a wireless remote control. No XLR inputs though, but about $30 cheaper
      > on eBay, but the seller (same as for the Zoom) isn't including a huge
      > flash card.
      > * Olympus LS-10
      > <http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/2581_digital_recorder_ls-10_18555.htm\
      > > This is the wild card of the four, I don't really know much about
      > it, and would appreciate any information anybody has on it.
      > * Zoom H2 <http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h2/index.php%29>
      > Word on this is that it's cheap and cheerful, but has mediocre sound and
      > build quality. Four mics though! That might come in handy at some
      > point... Maybe.
      >
      > So, any help you lovely lot could offer would be awesome! I really
      > appreciate it!

    • David Jackson
      Message 2 of 13 , May 8 8:39 AM
        I love the H4, but am not a big fan of the internal mic (even with wind
        screen I get pops). If you are always looking to use external mics, thats
        the way to go. Im going to buy an H2 as I always run sound out of the mixer
        into the H4 (which would work for the line in of the H2) than I can also use
        it to record on the road and not have pops.

        Dave Jackson
        www.schoolofpodcasting.com

        On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Rick Stringer <variantfrequencies@...
        > wrote:

        > I love my Zoom H2. I think it is a great portable recorder.
        >
        > Rick
        >

        > On May 8, 2010, at 10:07 AM, "cianmacmahon" <cianmm@...<cianmm%40gmail.com>>
        > wrote:
        >
        > > I am looking into getting a nice portable audio recorder for when I'm
        > > out and about. (Specifically, in September I'm going to Dragon*Con, as
        > > well as Washington and Boston, and want to do a lot of recording.) I was
        > > wondering if anybody has any recommendations for fairly mid-budget
        > > recording (no more then $350ish) or thoughts on the following recorders
        > > that I'm looking into?
        > >
        > > * Zoom H4n <http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h4n/> - I like
        > > the look of this one because the word on the street is that it has
        > > pretty good audio, but also comes with two phantom powered XLR inputs
        > > which would mean I would be able to use my studio mics out of a hotel
        > > without having to cart around my heavy-as-ass mixer. It also doubles as
        > > an audio interface. Found it for $299 on ebay, with a few extras like a
        > > 16GB flash card.
        > > * Edirol R-09HR
        > > <
        > http://www.edirol.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=332&Ite\
        > <http://www.edirol.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=332&Ite>>
        > mid=390> What I like about this is that it's really quite small, with
        > > a wireless remote control. No XLR inputs though, but about $30 cheaper
        > > on eBay, but the seller (same as for the Zoom) isn't including a huge
        > > flash card.
        > > * Olympus LS-10
        > > <
        > http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/2581_digital_recorder_ls-10_18555.htm\
        > <http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/2581_digital_recorder_ls-10_18555.htm>>
        > > This is the wild card of the four, I don't really know much about
        > > it, and would appreciate any information anybody has on it.
        > > * Zoom H2 <http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h2/index.php%29>
        > > Word on this is that it's cheap and cheerful, but has mediocre sound and
        > > build quality. Four mics though! That might come in handy at some
        > > point... Maybe.
        > >
        > > So, any help you lovely lot could offer would be awesome! I really
        > > appreciate it!

        Dave Jackson

        Message 3 of 13 , May 8 1:57 PM
          I love the Edirol

          Sent from my iPhone

          On May 8, 2010, at 10:07 AM, "cianmacmahon" <cianmm@...> wrote:

          > I am looking into getting a nice portable audio recorder for when I'm
          > out and about. (Specifically, in September I'm going to Dragon*Con, as
          > well as Washington and Boston, and want to do a lot of recording.) I was
          > wondering if anybody has any recommendations for fairly mid-budget
          > recording (no more then $350ish) or thoughts on the following recorders
          > that I'm looking into?
          >
          > * Zoom H4n <http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h4n/> - I like
          > the look of this one because the word on the street is that it has
          > pretty good audio, but also comes with two phantom powered XLR inputs
          > which would mean I would be able to use my studio mics out of a hotel
          > without having to cart around my heavy-as-ass mixer. It also doubles as
          > an audio interface. Found it for $299 on ebay, with a few extras like a
          > 16GB flash card.
          > * Edirol R-09HR
          > <http://www.edirol.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=332&Ite\
          > mid=390> What I like about this is that it's really quite small, with
          > a wireless remote control. No XLR inputs though, but about $30 cheaper
          > on eBay, but the seller (same as for the Zoom) isn't including a huge
          > flash card.
          > * Olympus LS-10
          > <http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/2581_digital_recorder_ls-10_18555.htm\
          > > This is the wild card of the four, I don't really know much about
          > it, and would appreciate any information anybody has on it.
          > * Zoom H2 <http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h2/index.php%29>
          > Word on this is that it's cheap and cheerful, but has mediocre sound and
          > build quality. Four mics though! That might come in handy at some
          > point... Maybe.
          >
          > So, any help you lovely lot could offer would be awesome! I really
          > appreciate it!

        • Richard Amirault
          Message 4 of 13 , May 8 7:29 PM
            RE: Portable digital recorders.

            I own the Edirol R-09 (not the HR) and a few months ago bought a Zoom H2 as
            a backup. I love them both.

            Richard Amirault
            N1JDU
            http://bostonfandom.org
          • cianmacmahon
            Message 5 of 13 , May 9 1:24 AM
              Thanks for the response! Am I correct in assuming that the HR is just an upgraded version of the R-09? Reviews suggest it has a nice microphone.

              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Amirault" <ramirault@...> wrote:

              > RE: Portable digital recorders.
              >
              > I own the Edirol R-09 (not the HR) and a few months ago bought a Zoom H2 as
              > a backup. I love them both.
              >
              > Richard Amirault
              > N1JDU
              > http://bostonfandom.org

            • Calvin Powers
              Message 6 of 13 , May 9 8:10 AM
                I first owned the Edirol R-09 (not the HR). I loved it. Very simple, very
                small and easy to take into the field for point and record situations.
                Despite being made of plastic, it was very sturdy. I used it for several
                year until I dropped it one too many times on the concrete and it finally
                died.

                I then bought the Zoom H4 (not H4n). It's got many more bells and whistles.
                I love the built in compressor and I love the XLR inputs. The downside of it
                is that it's bigger and more expensive and a little more precarious when
                taking it into the field. But at the same time, it's like having a mini
                mixer and compressor in your hand.

                I heartily recommend both just depends on which one fits your particular
                needs better. I am a hobbyist and don't have a sensitive ear to recording
                quality. But as far as I can tell, both do a good job recording voice and
                music suitable for podcasting. Both are great for going into panel
                discussions at places like dragon con and recording a panel discussion or
                interviewing someone in a noisy convention hall. So for basic podcast, I'd
                say you can't go wrong with either.

                If you forced me to choose one over the other, I'd go with the H4 because
                the XLR input gives you the possibility of using higher grade microphones
                with it. For my podcast, I am recording my talk sets using a Heil PR-40
                microphone going straight into the H4. I have the "mono mix" turned on that
                splits the microphone into both stereo channels and I have the vocal
                compression turned on. It sounds great. So the H4 might be a better loing
                term investment if you are going to see yourself investing in professional
                or semi-professional level microphones down the road.

                I'll be bringing my H4 to dragon con and will be attending lots of the
                panels, so I'd be glad to let yu check it out if you want to.

                Calvin Powers
                Taproot Music Feed podcast
                www.taprootradio.com

                On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 10:07 AM, cianmacmahon <cianmm@...> wrote:

                > I am looking into getting a nice portable audio recorder for when I'm
                > out and about. (Specifically, in September I'm going to Dragon*Con, as
                > well as Washington and Boston, and want to do a lot of recording.) I was
                > wondering if anybody has any recommendations for fairly mid-budget
                > recording (no more then $350ish) or thoughts on the following recorders
                > that I'm looking into?
                >

                > * Zoom H4n <http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h4n/> - I like
                > the look of this one because the word on the street is that it has
                > pretty good audio, but also comes with two phantom powered XLR inputs
                > which would mean I would be able to use my studio mics out of a hotel
                > without having to cart around my heavy-as-ass mixer. It also doubles as
                > an audio interface. Found it for $299 on ebay, with a few extras like a
                > 16GB flash card.
                > * Edirol R-09HR
                > <http://www.edirol.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=332&Ite\
                > mid=390<http://www.edirol.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=332&Ite%5C%0Amid=390>>
                > What I like about this is that it's really quite small, with
                > a wireless remote control. No XLR inputs though, but about $30 cheaper
                > on eBay, but the seller (same as for the Zoom) isn't including a huge
                > flash card.
                > * Olympus LS-10
                > <http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/2581_digital_recorder_ls-10_18555.htm\<http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/2581_digital_recorder_ls-10_18555.htm%5C>
                > > This is the wild card of the four, I don't really know much about
                > it, and would appreciate any information anybody has on it.
                > * Zoom H2 <http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h2/index.php%29>
                > Word on this is that it's cheap and cheerful, but has mediocre sound and
                > build quality. Four mics though! That might come in handy at some
                > point... Maybe.
                >
                > So, any help you lovely lot could offer would be awesome! I really
                > appreciate it!

              • cianmacmahon
                Message 7 of 13 , May 9 11:24 AM
                  Hiya! Thanks for the recommendation. I currently use a fair few studio mics, which is why I really like the look of the H4n, which seems to basically be a H4 with a rubber body, slightly more features I will never use, better preamps and another microphone setup. I'm not hugely sure about the 30V phantom power on the H4 so I would likely bite the bullet and grab a H4n.

                  I would love to take you up on your offer, but that wouldn't leave me enough time to get it in time for D*C. Maybe we might bump into eachother at one of the panels anyway? I hope they do the Podcast Track.

                  Thanks again,
                  Cian.
                  --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:

                  > I first owned the Edirol R-09 (not the HR). I loved it. Very simple, very
                  > small and easy to take into the field for point and record situations.
                  > Despite being made of plastic, it was very sturdy. I used it for several
                  > year until I dropped it one too many times on the concrete and it finally
                  > died.
                  >
                  > I then bought the Zoom H4 (not H4n). It's got many more bells and whistles.
                  > I love the built in compressor and I love the XLR inputs. The downside of it
                  > is that it's bigger and more expensive and a little more precarious when
                  > taking it into the field. But at the same time, it's like having a mini
                  > mixer and compressor in your hand.
                  >
                  > I heartily recommend both just depends on which one fits your particular
                  > needs better. I am a hobbyist and don't have a sensitive ear to recording
                  > quality. But as far as I can tell, both do a good job recording voice and
                  > music suitable for podcasting. Both are great for going into panel
                  > discussions at places like dragon con and recording a panel discussion or
                  > interviewing someone in a noisy convention hall. So for basic podcast, I'd
                  > say you can't go wrong with either.
                  >
                  > If you forced me to choose one over the other, I'd go with the H4 because
                  > the XLR input gives you the possibility of using higher grade microphones
                  > with it. For my podcast, I am recording my talk sets using a Heil PR-40
                  > microphone going straight into the H4. I have the "mono mix" turned on that
                  > splits the microphone into both stereo channels and I have the vocal
                  > compression turned on. It sounds great. So the H4 might be a better loing
                  > term investment if you are going to see yourself investing in professional
                  > or semi-professional level microphones down the road.
                  >
                  > I'll be bringing my H4 to dragon con and will be attending lots of the
                  > panels, so I'd be glad to let yu check it out if you want to.
                  >
                  > Calvin Powers
                  > Taproot Music Feed podcast
                  > www.taprootradio.com
                • Ramble Redhead
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 9 12:30 PM
                    Here is a deal on a portable recorder http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/TAS-DR-07-BUNDLE

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    On May 9, 2010, at 2:24 PM, "cianmacmahon" <cianmm@...> wrote:

                    > Hiya! Thanks for the recommendation. I currently use a fair few studio mics, which is why I really like the look of the H4n, which seems to basically be a H4 with a rubber body, slightly more features I will never use, better preamps and another microphone setup. I'm not hugely sure about the 30V phantom power on the H4 so I would likely bite the bullet and grab a H4n.
                    >
                    > I would love to take you up on your offer, but that wouldn't leave me enough time to get it in time for D*C. Maybe we might bump into eachother at one of the panels anyway? I hope they do the Podcast Track.
                    >
                    > Thanks again,
                    > Cian.
                    > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I first owned the Edirol R-09 (not the HR). I loved it. Very simple, very
                    > > small and easy to take into the field for point and record situations.
                    > > Despite being made of plastic, it was very sturdy. I used it for several
                    > > year until I dropped it one too many times on the concrete and it finally
                    > > died.
                    > >
                    > > I then bought the Zoom H4 (not H4n). It's got many more bells and whistles.
                    > > I love the built in compressor and I love the XLR inputs. The downside of it
                    > > is that it's bigger and more expensive and a little more precarious when
                    > > taking it into the field. But at the same time, it's like having a mini
                    > > mixer and compressor in your hand.
                    > >
                    > > I heartily recommend both just depends on which one fits your particular
                    > > needs better. I am a hobbyist and don't have a sensitive ear to recording
                    > > quality. But as far as I can tell, both do a good job recording voice and
                    > > music suitable for podcasting. Both are great for going into panel
                    > > discussions at places like dragon con and recording a panel discussion or
                    > > interviewing someone in a noisy convention hall. So for basic podcast, I'd
                    > > say you can't go wrong with either.
                    > >
                    > > If you forced me to choose one over the other, I'd go with the H4 because
                    > > the XLR input gives you the possibility of using higher grade microphones
                    > > with it. For my podcast, I am recording my talk sets using a Heil PR-40
                    > > microphone going straight into the H4. I have the "mono mix" turned on that
                    > > splits the microphone into both stereo channels and I have the vocal
                    > > compression turned on. It sounds great. So the H4 might be a better loing
                    > > term investment if you are going to see yourself investing in professional
                    > > or semi-professional level microphones down the road.
                    > >
                    > > I'll be bringing my H4 to dragon con and will be attending lots of the
                    > > panels, so I'd be glad to let yu check it out if you want to.
                    > >
                    > > Calvin Powers
                    > > Taproot Music Feed podcast
                    > > www.taprootradio.com

                  • Waleed Ovase
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 9 12:50 PM
                      Even cheaper here:
                      http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=DR07

                      On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 15:30, Ramble Redhead <rambleredhead@...>wrote:

> [...]
                      > > > say you can't go wrong with either.
                      > > >
                      > > > If you forced me to choose one over the other, I'd go with the H4
                      > because
                      > > > the XLR input gives you the possibility of using higher grade
                      > microphones
                      > > > with it. For my podcast, I am recording my talk sets using a Heil PR-40
                      > > > microphone going straight into the H4. I have the "mono mix" turned on
                      > that
                      > > > splits the microphone into both stereo channels and I have the vocal
                      > > > compression turned on. It sounds great. So the H4 might be a better
                      > loing
                      > > > term investment if you are going to see yourself investing in
                      > professional
                      > > > or semi-professional level microphones down the road.
                      > > >
                      > > > I'll be bringing my H4 to dragon con and will be attending lots of the
                      > > > panels, so I'd be glad to let yu check it out if you want to.

                      Waleed Ovase
                      Executive Producer
                      Giant Gnome Productions
                      http://www.giantgnome.com
                      http://www.waleedovase.com
                      Twitter @waleedovase

                    • Ramble Redhead
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 9 1:35 PM
                        The price on my link included recorder and all accessorries for $199

                        Sent from my iPhone

                      • Waleed Ovase
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 9 2:06 PM
                          The one from my link comes with ". It also comes with a windscreen, tripod
                          stand mount and 2GB SD card so you can start recording right away."

                          The only difference is that the one from Sound Professionals comes with some
                          kind of unnamed Headphone.

                          waleed

                          On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 16:35, Ramble Redhead <rambleredhead@...>wrote:

                          > The price on my link included recorder and all accessorries for $199
                          >
                          > Sent from my iPhone
                          >

                          > On May 9, 2010, at 3:50 PM, Waleed Ovase <americanbookmoghuls@...<americanbookmoghuls%40gmail.com>>
                          > wrote:
                          >
                          > > Even cheaper here:
                          > > http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=DR07
                          > >
                          > > On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 15:30, Ramble Redhead <rambleredhead@...<rambleredhead%40gmail.com>
                          > >wrote:
                          > >

                          > >> Here is a deal on a portable recorder
                          > >> http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/TAS-DR-07-BUNDLE
                          > >>
                          > >> Sent from my iPhone
                          > >>

                          > >> On May 9, 2010, at 2:24 PM, "cianmacmahon" <cianmm@...<cianmm%40gmail.com>
                          > <cianmm%40gmail.com>>

                          > >> mics, which is why I really like the look of the H4n, which seems to
                          > >> basically be a H4 with a rubber body, slightly more features I will
                          > never
                          > >> use, better preamps and another microphone setup. I'm not hugely sure
                          > about
                          > >> the 30V phantom power on the H4 so I would likely bite the bullet and
                          > grab a
                          > >> H4n.

                          > >> enough time to get it in time for D*C. Maybe we might bump into
                          > eachother at
                          > >> one of the panels anyway? I hope they do the Podcast Track.

                          > 40yahoogroups.com>, Calvin

                          > >> very
                          > >> several
                          > >> finally

                          > >> whistles.
                          > >> of it
                          > >> when
                          > mini

                          > >> particular
                          > >> recording
                          > >> and
                          > >> or
                          > >> I'd

                          > >> because
                          > >> microphones
                          > PR-40
                          > >> that
                          > >> loing
                          > >> professional

                          > > Waleed Ovase
                          > > Executive Producer
                          > > Giant Gnome Productions
                          > > http://www.giantgnome.com
                          > > http://www.waleedovase.com
                          > > Twitter @waleedovase

                          Waleed Ovase
                          Executive Producer
                          Giant Gnome Productions
                          http://www.giantgnome.com
                          http://www.waleedovase.com
                          Twitter @waleedovase

                        • cianmacmahon
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 12 9:48 AM
                            I decided to go for the Zoom H4n that I found on eBay. Will update with my thoughts, and if the seller is a good one, will post the link in case anybody else is considering one. Until I have a fully working recorder in my hands in less then 7 days though, you will have to search for it.

                            Thanks again for the help!
                            Cian