Strange quirk w/JUICE: Podcast feed changing name of MP3 daily

  • nycedeli
    Message 1 of 5 , May 6, 2010
      Does anyone have experience with the following problem? I got an email complaint from a podcast listener this evening telling me that his podcast aggregator (JUICE) keeps downloading episodes of my podcast daily even though I'm not posting daily episodes. I've never heard of such a problem before. Of course, I'm not changing my podcast titles daily nor am I changing anything in the podcast listing, so I have no idea what could be causing this.

      Any suggestions?

      Thanks in advance,
      Eleena

      P.S. Here is the listener email I got:

      ---------"I subscribed to your RSS podcast feed
      (http://feeds.feedburner.com/vocespodcast). Unfortunately, the mp3
      enclosure is changing daily, so my podcast aggregator
      (http://juicereceiver.sourceforge.net/ ) keeps downloading copies of
      your mp3. In order for the podcast RSS to be usable, you must not
      change the name of the mp3 every day. Otherwise the program gets
      confused. This is true for all mp3 aggregators that use MD5 hashes or
      mp3 names to determine whether they have already downloaded a certain
      podcast.

      ---------"Just in case you were wondering, this is not a problem with my client software. I subscribe to 30 different podcasts feeds, but I am having problems with only this feed."
    • Nobilis Reed
      Message 2 of 5 , May 6, 2010
        Juice did that to me for about a week before I switched to Ziepod.
        Never looked back.

        On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 11:12 PM, nycedeli <lavenividivici@...> wrote:
        > Does anyone have experience with the following problem? I got an email complaint from a podcast listener this evening telling me that his podcast aggregator (JUICE) keeps downloading episodes of my podcast daily even though I'm not posting daily episodes. I've never heard of such a problem before. Of course, I'm not changing my podcast titles daily nor am I changing anything in the podcast listing, so I have no idea what could be causing this.
        >
        > Any suggestions?
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        > Eleena
        >

        > P.S.  Here is the listener email I got:
        >
        > ---------"I subscribed to your RSS podcast feed
        > (http://feeds.feedburner.com/vocespodcast).  Unfortunately, the mp3
        > enclosure is changing daily, so my podcast aggregator
        > (http://juicereceiver.sourceforge.net/ ) keeps downloading copies of
        > your mp3.  In order for the podcast RSS to be usable, you must not
        > change the name of the mp3 every day.  Otherwise the program gets
        > confused.  This is true for all mp3 aggregators that use MD5 hashes or
        > mp3 names to determine whether they have already downloaded a certain
        > podcast.
        >
        > ---------"Just in case you were wondering, this is not  a problem with my client software.  I subscribe to 30 different podcasts feeds, but I am having problems with only this feed."

        Weekly audio stories -- Nobilis Erotica: http://nobilis.libsyn.com
        -----
        99c short stories - http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/Nobilis
        -----
        Preorder your signed copy of "Scouts" - http://www.logical-lust.com/scouts.html
      • Ben Straw
        Message 3 of 5 , May 7, 2010
          I think it might be a problem with juice, see if they have updated to the latest version. If they do, I would offer them a alternative podcast downloader. I would have them try Miro from GetMiro.com Its open source and recently updated.

          Benjamin Straw - CEO Qetuo Media
          P: 1-304-449-4335
          Skype: n3bb3n
          Twitter: twitter.com/nebben

          Shows Produced by Qetuo Media - http://qetuo.me

          Ben's Tech Show - http://BensTechShow.com
          How 2 Podcast - http://How2Podcast.com
          Mac Tip Podcast - http://MacTipPodcast.com

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 5 , May 7, 2010
            From: "Ben Straw"

            >I think it might be a problem with juice, see if they have updated to the
            >latest version. If they do, I would offer them a alternative podcast
            >downloader. I would have them try Miro from GetMiro.com Its open source and
            >recently updated.

            Juice hasn't been updated in *years*. It is no longer being supported by
            it's creator.

            Richard Amirault
            N1JDU
            http://bostonfandom.org
          • Nobilis Reed
            Message 5 of 5 , May 7, 2010
              I don't advise Juice for anyone. It's way too buggy.